Prospect Info: Penguins #5 Prospect

Who's our #5 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Our depth is legitimately insane. Guys like Lafferty, Angello, Miletic and Johnson have good chances to become bottom-6 types but they probably dont even make our top-10.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Our depth is legitimately insane. Guys like Lafferty, Angello, Miletic and Johnson have good chances to become bottom-6 types but they probably dont even make our top-10.

Eh. Not sure how things would shake out on other teams, but I'm guessing there's a fair few that are still a lot deeper this far down.

Knowing next to nothing about the guy other than the numbers at Elite Prospects, Guerin is correct- he's made big strides - pun intended - each year.

And yet everyone I've seen talk about him online who's actually watched him still talks about him as a 4C at max.

It was a pretty weird list. I know they see more of them, but I feel like if we saw as much, we probably wouldn't pcik the same list.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Eh. Not sure how things would shake out on other teams, but I'm guessing there's a fair few that are still a lot deeper this far down.

I didnt mean that in comparison to other teams. Compared to the last couple of years we have alot of potential nhl players.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I do think our depth of prospects is above average but that stems from the NHL team being so deep. I think that trickles down. A cost-cutting or internal cap team would’ve been forced to play Lafferty last October.

There's deffo something to that.

I think our willingness to throw money at WBS helps too. Those marginal college players come up promising a lot more often than not.

I didnt mean that in comparison to other teams. Compared to the last couple of years we have alot of potential nhl players.

Ah gotcha. Yeah. I think this is the deepest we've been on paper since 2012/13. We were probably deeper at 2015/16 as well without realising, but I feel like that one surprised people a bit. This group doing really well wouldn't.

Reactions: Jacob

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I had...

1. Addison
2. Hallander
3. POJ
4. Poulin
5. Bjorkqvist

So essentially the consensus with some shuffling. It gets interesting after Kasper with the Almeida/Bellerive/Legare group. Then you have players like Miletic and Lafferty making cases.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think our forward depth is very strong, but our pool on the backend is pretty thin.

If Pettersson/Riikola take next step. And Addison/POJ develop the way they should we'll be looking good. All pretty similar too...with Addison having the best chance to be a Letang lite...solid PP Dman.

Which is why I don't mind keeping Gudbranson around for now .

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
If Pettersson/Riikola take next step. And Addison/POJ develop the way they should we'll be looking good. All pretty similar too...with Addison having the best chance to be a Letang lite...solid PP Dman.

Which is why I don't mind keeping Gudbranson around for now .

Was more referring to our D in the system. I don’t consider Riikola or Pettersson prospects tbh.

With Lauzon and Phillips both suffering setbacks Addison/POJ are the only two defenders I feel like are tracking to crack an NHL lineup one day.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Poulin
Addison
Hallander
POJ
Bjorkqvist

I voted for POJ at #2 but I think #4 is better. Right now thats my list but that #5 spot is interchangeable with like 5 other guys.

That’s a good thing that we have a very good top 10. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if anybody in the top ten becomes the best player.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
We have a lot of depth just not high end talent. I hope a few of these guys become middle six forwards and 4-5 defensemen.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
We have a lot of depth just not high end talent. I hope a few of these guys become middle six forwards and 4-5 defensemen.

I doubt many thought Guentzel and Murray had any better upside as these guys. You never know how guys develop. Guentzel and Murray had not been ranked very high on the league prospect list and both turned out to be top tier impact players. It is all a crap shoot. Any can be a bust but one or more could turn out to be a stud. For example maybe Poulin develops into the next great power forward or Addison becomes a 50+ point offensive defenseman or some other player in our system that becomes the next great player. Like I said Guentzel and Murray had not been ranked very high on the league prospect lists.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

And yet everyone I've seen talk about him online who's actually watched him still talks about him as a 4C at max.

It was a pretty weird list. I know they see more of them, but I feel like if we saw as much, we probably wouldn't pcik the same list.
I’ve seen him live a bunch. I think 4c with second pp time and pk duty. I think he’ll probably wind up in the nhl, so there’s that, FWIW.

Reactions: Peat

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Im voting Drozg from now on until he gets picked!

Decent numbers on a bad team. Really skilled. And produced in international play too.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I think it should go kind of like this:

1. Hallander
2. Poulin
3. PO Joe
4. Addison
5. Legare
6. Bjorkqvist
7. Bellerive
8. Almeidia
9. Lafferty
10. Drozg

The thing with our prospects pool is that nobody has like real obvious star potential. They all are pretty close in terms of skill. But, I think Hallander is probably the closest to the NHL so I give him the edge even though Poulin probably has bigger upside. PO Joe is probably only a year away so you have to give him the edge over Addison (who is a boom-bust pick)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think our forward depth is very strong, but our pool on the backend is pretty thin.

It's a puddle, not a pool. And while POJ joining helps a lot, it only really counterbalances prospects 2-4 in the puddle having meh to disaster years. I'm optimistic that most of them could still be something, but the odds aren't great. I wouldn't be utterly surprised if we didn't get a single NHL dman out of this current pool (although there's probably at least one there).

I’ve seen him live a bunch. I think 4c with second pp time and pk duty. I think he’ll probably wind up in the nhl, so there’s that, FWIW.

Yeah, that's the story I seem to be hearing from most people. And that's fine - I wouldn't say no to our Brian Boyle-esque guy. Just not expecting him to be more.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
It's a puddle, not a pool. And while POJ joining helps a lot, it only really counterbalances prospects 2-4 in the puddle having meh to disaster years. I'm optimistic that most of them could still be something, but the odds aren't great. I wouldn't be utterly surprised if we didn't get a single NHL dman out of this current pool (although there's probably at least one there).

Yeah. Our track record of drafting and developing defensemen has been completely abysmal. Ever since we drafted Letang, Maatta has pretty much been the only player we drafted to pan out as a full time NHLer. We've been somewhat successful with forwards, so I take it as a good sign most of our best prospects are forwards. We can always flip a couple of them for a Petterssen type deal. But I am more on the optimistic side of things when it come to Addison and POJ. So if one or both of them pans out, we'll be in pretty good shape.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I doubt many thought Guentzel and Murray had any better upside as these guys. You never know how guys develop. Guentzel and Murray had not been ranked very high on the league prospect list and both turned out to be top tier impact players. It is all a crap shoot. Any can be a bust but one or more could turn out to be a stud. For example maybe Poulin develops into the next great power forward or Addison becomes a 50+ point offensive defenseman or some other player in our system that becomes the next great player. Like I said Guentzel and Murray had not been ranked very high on the league prospect lists.
This board ranked MM our best prospect in 2015. He became a legit high end prospect around age 19-20. I don't remember Guentzel ever having much hype though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad