Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sam Miletic (F)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Our 1st selection in the 2018 NHL draft, Calen Addison, makes his debut in the rankings at #4.

Added Sam Miletic.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (87.6%) (-)
#2 Tristan Jarry (52.6%) (-)
#3 Jordy Bellerive (72.8%) (new)
#4 Calen Addison (54.7%) (new)

Last edited:

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Hallander seems to have a pretty high floor. At worst I see him as a dominant two way AHL center but I expect him to grow into a 3rd or 4th line role with the big club. Sheahan like, except seemingly tougher in front of the net.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Hallander seems to have a pretty high floor. At worst I see him as a dominant two way AHL center but I expect him to grow into a 3rd or 4th line role with the big club. Sheahan like, except seemingly tougher in front of the net.

This is actually a really astute assessment IMO.

Which is why I can't get behind Addison being a better prospect. Yes, his ceiling is a bit higher, but his floor, IMO is also much lower. The gap between the two ends of the spectrum is larger with Addison.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Based purely on scouting reports online and what I've read on the prospect board, everything I've heard about about Hallander sounds good to me. Big utility forward with hockey IQ and speed who forechecks hard and goes to the tough areas - we could use a few of those types to complement our skill players after Hags leaves.

Reactions: BHD and NJPensFan5

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

At least based on his description, one part of Hallander's game that's noticeably missing from Sheahan's is a relentless forecheck. I hope that's true...Sheahan's been solid but a bit milquetoast and I like players who put the opposition under pressure and rush their choices, like our Swedish wingers.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Hallander wins this poll, that will be three new guys in the Top 5. Either recency bias is strong, or it's a testament to a prospect pool that hasn't seen much development from most of its past players.

To echo the latter, its definitely the latter at least in part. This isn't as impressive a prospect pool when you go deep as it was, say, two years ago. Although in fairness, I'm not sure that's as much about the development as the low number of draft picks plus rapid development and/or trading of best prospects. I think only Angello, Bluegers and Lafferty have been in the org longer than 2 years on that poll; only Pavlychev, Dea, Tiffels, Taylor and Birks out of those not on it. Sure, that's partially because of a number of early wash-outs from 2013/4 - Josephs/Byron/Segalla all didn't sign NHL contracts here, which is half of the 2013 draft class, no Lindo from 14, no Hall and Masonius from 16.

But half of 2015 has already been promoted or voted in. Ditto one third of 2013. The development looks fine there.

I'd also argue its a testament to the team hitting three home runs with Bellerive, Addison and Hallander.

Add Lauzon.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If Hallander wins this poll, that will be three new guys in the Top 5. Either recency bias is strong, or it's a testament to a prospect pool that hasn't seen much development from most of its past players.

To echo the latter, its definitely the latter at least in part. This isn't as impressive a prospect pool when you go deep as it was, say, two years ago. Although in fairness, I'm not sure that's as much about the development as the low number of draft picks plus rapid development and/or trading of best prospects. I think only Angello, Bluegers and Lafferty have been in the org longer than 2 years on that poll; only Pavlychev, Dea, Tiffels, Taylor and Birks out of those not on it. Sure, that's partially because of a number of early wash-outs from 2013/4 - Josephs/Byron/Segalla all didn't sign NHL contracts here, which is half of the 2013 draft class, no Lindo from 14, no Hall and Masonius from 16.

But half of 2015 has already been promoted or voted in. Ditto one third of 2013. The development looks fine there.

I'd also argue its a testament to the team hitting three home runs with Bellerive, Addison and Hallander.

Add Lauzon.

Here's our top 20 prospects from 2016:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/penguins-19-20-21-prospect-runoff.2119401/

Doesn't look a whole lot different from this year in terms of top end (Guetzel's rise notwithstanding) or depth. To me, 3 new top 5ers is attributable to having two 2nd rounders this year that we finally didn't use on low-ceiling, off-the-board players with warts. Bjorkqvist had already been skipped over in one draft and has skating issues, and Hall and Lauzon are defensive defensemen with non-existent offense. None of them inspired much enthusiasm, relatively.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Here's our top 20 prospects from 2016:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/penguins-19-20-21-prospect-runoff.2119401/

Doesn't look a whole lot different from this year in terms of top end (Guetzel's rise notwithstanding) or depth. To me, 3 new top 5ers is attributable to having two 2nd rounders this year that we finally didn't use on low-ceiling, off-the-board players with warts. Bjorkqvist had already been skipped over in one draft and has skating issues, and Hall and Lauzon are defensive defensemen with non-existent offense. None of them inspired much enthusiasm, relatively.

Hmm. I'll revisit this post once we're done picking. I think this year might be stronger. It certainly is in the top 5 imo.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Blueger

Strong collegiate career, solid international play and improved during his sophomore year in WBS. He’s defensively ready for the NHL and improved in the area he was asked to - his offensive output.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hmm. I'll revisit this post once we're done picking. I think this year might be stronger. It certainly is in the top 5 imo.

Yeah, I actually really like how our pool is shaping up. Pretty remarkable considering we haven't had a 1st rounder we've hung onto for more than a year since 2012 (!).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Blueger

Strong collegiate career, solid international play and improved during his sophomore year in WBS. He’s defensively ready for the NHL and improved in the area he was asked to - his offensive output.
I was torn between Blueger and Hallander.

I think Blueger is safer, further along in his development and closer to reaching the NHL obviously, but has lower upside than Hallander does right now. Mostly because of the age difference. Hard to compare a 24 year old that looks like a solid-but-unspectacular bottom 6 center vs. an 18 year old that's played kind of okay in a 2nd tier men's league but hasn't done anything anywhere else.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I think Blueger is safer, further along in his development and closer to reaching the NHL obviously, but has lower upside than Hallander does right now. Mostly because of the age difference. Hard to compare a 24 year old that looks like a solid-but-unspectacular bottom 6 center vs. an 18 year old that's played kind of okay in a 2nd tier men's league but hasn't done anything anywhere else.

Hallander was 4th in ppg on that roster. To me that more than okay. Tied 5th for scoring on Sweden's Hlinka roster isn't bad either.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

I was also torn on Blueger or Hallander. Between current development or possible ceiling. Went with the possible ceiling. But definitely going to put Blueger down for #6.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Just thought of this, we could possibly have 5 prospects at the WJC. Bellerive, Addison, Almeida, Hallander, and maybe Palojarvi.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Voted Hornqvist jr, had him before Addison last poll, safer bet based on a simple well executed game.

Next poll should be interesting, finally a close one, starring Bjorkqvist, Blueger and D Medicine Man Riikola.

I'm at a lost from now on, feel free to bombard us with analysis and reports guys!

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm going to have to go with my gut in the next poll and vote Angello. Roughly the same upside as Blueger but big, physical, and a very good skater.
I found this encouraging too. Book changed career of Cornell hockey's Anthony Angello; Big Red up to No. 2

small sample size but showed up right away when he was brought to WBS for playoffs.

Like you said, has the size and skating. With ZAR, Angello, Hallander...nice to see them adding guys who arent under 5'8 for a change.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm going to have to go with my gut in the next poll and vote Angello. Roughly the same upside as Blueger but big, physical, and a very good skater.
I found this encouraging too. Book changed career of Cornell hockey's Anthony Angello; Big Red up to No. 2

Yeah the next prospect is a real toss-up because no one really stands out as having potential to be more than a bottom pairing or fourth line player especially among the older players like Blueger. I’m not sure Angello is anything more. There’s only two players that could be more...1) Adam Johnson because of his speed but he’s 24 and maybe will never be strong enough to transition and 2) Almeida who has more offensive skill than any other forward left on this list....Rikola is an unknown on a NHL rink...

May have to go with Almeida

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Why isn’t Lauzon on this list? Or Drozg, Taylor?

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
small sample size but showed up right away when he was brought to WBS for playoffs.

Like you said, has the size and skating. With ZAR, Angello, Hallander...nice to see them adding guys who arent under 5'8 for a change.
Yup. I really like what I've heard about Bjorkqvist too. I hope he doesn't go UFA. We have some really solid bottom 6ers in the pipeline.

I like that the scouting staff is emphasizing traits like tenacity, leadership, IQ

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hallander’s game is a marriage between the Penguins’ own super-friend contingent of fellow Swedes Carl Hagelin and Patric Hornqvist. If you view this move within the scope of the Penguins’ philosophy of high-forechecking and up-tempo hockey, Hallander is the perfect asset for the Sullivan-era Penguins. A combination of stern net-front presence and puck pursuit, there’s no surprise the Penguins traded up for this type of talent.

Marshall: Filip Hallander was worth the trade

right-on.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad