Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Flyers 2 - Sid Goes Old School on the Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
1. It's updated.

2. I just looked. This 48 points over 28 games run since January 1 (it's just over a third of a season) is the most productive of Geno's entire career compared to any other 28 game run. Closest is the last 28 games of the 2011-2012 season, when Geno racked up 46 points.
He had 52 points in 28 games between 10-16-2008 and 12-22-2008.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's kind of interesting to see our fanbase in Doom-and-Gloom mode about how awful we are, and then see the other side sulking in disgust and saying they got dominated by us...

...in the same game.

Don't get me wrong, I know that a franchise looking to 3-peat has to be held to a much higher standard...

It's just interesting to see that we think we're godawful right now, but our most hated rival doesn't.

People have been giving up on this team all season, and most particularly on Letang, Sullivan and JR.

It's easy for many people to be positive when things are going well, and twice as easy for them to give into negativity when some adversity hits.

Just how it goes.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Am I the only one still waiting for Brassard to impress? He was pretty invisible/bad last night and was completely responsible for a GA with (not just 1), but 2 bad plays on it. I don't see why he cost us so much for his .5pt/game pace. It's not like he's playing with plugs either. I'm still seeing Cole's loss out there, and nothing much from Derrick to justify it.

Pens played much better team D in the 3rd to completely frustrate PHI. Jarry still not controlling the puck as well as he should (lead to 2nd GA). He made some big saves, and got lucky a couple of times. Murray needs to come back soon and split 50/50 to get back into form. 4th line was pretty brutal for most of the game. Malkin's line was dominant again. Sid had a little bit of hustle and "I care" back to his game. Still not shooting enough and playing too much of a perimeter game. Sheary had a great game all around too, and he needed it. It shows that he CAN still use his skill to win you a game from time to time. Big Rig's headbutt was my favorite, but will prob cost him a game.

I was at the game and my god were the fans butt-hurt. Soooooo angry. Any time they'd start to think about the hockey score, they start their stupid E..A..G..L chant. So insecure.

Reactions: BillPrep

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Am I the only one still waiting for Brassard to impress? He was pretty invisible/bad last night and was completely responsible for a GA with (not just 1), but 2 bad plays on it. I don't see why he cost us so much for his .5pt/game pace. It's not like he's playing with plugs either. I'm still seeing Cole's loss out there, and nothing much from Derrick to justify it.

Players take time to get used to a new system. It's not easy. Especially when Kessel is your winger. Remember when Sheahan started? Now look. Brassard will get there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Speaking of Brassard, I wonder if the Penguins try him on the wing and put Sheahan back in the 3C spot if Simon and Rust aren't good to go for the next few games. Maybe not technically Brassard-Sheahan-Kessel, but I'd imagine that's what it would be.

BlankFrank416

Feb 24, 2018
Sid's first season and a half with Sully - 1.22 ppg, 0.89 ES ppg
Sid's season so far - 1.07 ppg, 0.58 ES ppg

The consistency argument simply doesn't stand. The elite part of it is arguably at ES.

Some of the conclusions haven't given enough benefit of the doubt but I can't agree that the stats support there being no case to argue.

They've played more hockey than anyone else, they've got the biggest target on them, and they're pacing themselves for a 105-110 game season. There's gonna be slips. That should be understood and forgiven.
There’s no doubt he’s scoring less this year, particularly even strength. But his numbers are still good compared to the rest of the field. And they make sense to me when you consider who he’s played with and how he’s been used, especially in the months when the bottom six included Guentzal, McKegg, and Rowney at center.

This has been a rough season for Sid in some areas, but he’s also been very good. There’s no evidence of him deliberately phoning in games or suddenly becoming old and bad (not that that’s what you were saying at all).

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

He screwed up a couple of times on the pk with clearing attempts. Not surprising since he rarely got time there prior to coming here. He's got a good hockey iq so he'll pick it up

As for his even strength play.. Certainly working some kinks out with Kessel. Compounding the issue are rust and Simon going down... Will be a revolving door at lw for that 3rd line

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I'm not always sure I think Sid's still a human being (not a cyborg) and no one else has played as much hockey at this high of a level than Sidney Crosby.

And I literally mean no one else because of Crosby's MVP performance in the World Cup of Hockey in 2016. He's played the most games, he's won the most hardware. Crosby has dominated the last 3 years and maybe he's just getting tired and I don't hold that against him.

I honestly wouldn't care if Crosby sat out until the playoffs to get some rest.

I'd prefer that he didn't, but I hear what you are saying.

I think some people forgot all the hockey (and all the awards he's won) the past 2+ seasons. God forbid if he looks less than stellar for a few games.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Speaking of Brassard, I wonder if the Penguins try him on the wing and put Sheahan back in the 3C spot if Simon and Rust aren't good to go for the next few games. Maybe not technically Brassard-Sheahan-Kessel, but I'd imagine that's what it would be.
I would hope not....he needs to get comfortable playing center here first...then we can start moving him around.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I'm glad they won but it's not like they haven't shown that they can stink pretty bad. As others have said, hopefully they're just coasting a bit leading up to the playoffs. Last night they could have easily been down and out before the game was half over.

This sounds harsh but hopefully Hunwick never suits up again for the Pens. Ditto with Rowney and, if I can dream, Kuhn gets replaced at some point as well -- he's really not bringing much to the team from what I see.

Rust out, Simon also may miss time. Unfortunately, Rowney has to play. Team only has one more call-up available. Think they'll save that for an absolute emergency or the playoffs.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He had 52 points in 28 games between 10-16-2008 and 12-22-2008.

Correct. I missed that one. Even comparable ES production (fewer goals).

In terms of total productivity, he was better during that 2008 run (4 more points, which translates to just over 8% more productive).

Of course, he had about 18% MORE playing time during that run (he was playing about 22:30 a game back then under Therrien. He's played just under 19:00 per game during this run).

So, in terms of productivity per 60 minutes of TOI, he had just under 5 points per 60 minutes TOI during the 2008 run and has just over 5.5 points per 60 minutes TOI during this run ( about .55 more points per 60 minutes, or 11% better during this run).

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
As long as they win 16 games in the playoffs that's what I care about. I don't care how they win. I didn't know NHL.com had a column for pretty wins.

According to some people they do. There are some people (including posters here) that complain about the Cup win last year, because they weren't the "buzz saw" they were in 2016. Seriously??!! They won the damn Cup!

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Rust out, Simon also may miss time. Unfortunately, Rowney has to play. Team only has one more call-up available. Think they'll save that for an absolute emergency or the playoffs.
once the playoffs start the limits come off.....but ya, you never know what might happen.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Players take time to get used to a new system. It's not easy. Especially when Kessel is your winger. Remember when Sheahan started? Now look. Brassard will get there.

And especially when you come from a system that is basically the total opposite of the new one.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Pens played much better team D in the 3rd to completely frustrate PHI. Jarry still not controlling the puck as well as he should (lead to 2nd GA). He made some big saves, and got lucky a couple of times. Murray needs to come back soon and split 50/50 to get back into form. 4th line was pretty brutal for most of the game. Malkin's line was dominant again. Sid had a little bit of hustle and "I care" back to his game. Still not shooting enough and playing too much of a perimeter game. Sheary had a great game all around too, and he needed it. It shows that he CAN still use his skill to win you a game from time to time. Big Rig's headbutt was my favorite, but will prob cost him a game.

I was at the game and my god were the fans *********. Soooooo angry. Any time they'd start to think about the hockey score, they start their stupid E..A..G..L chant. So insecure.

He’s coming into a completely polar opposite system. It takes time to get the passivity out of your game and play a more up tempo game.

It took MD quite awhile to adjust to Ott system.

For about the 100th time this season, patience people.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Brass will be fine, give him time. Meanwhile I am encouraged to see him on the PK and looking good doing it. Having Sheahan/Brassard as your PK centers means Rowney can stay in the press box.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hey, if you are ok with them playing like hot garbage for large chunks of time every game .. that's fine. Some of us have loftier standards than "they won" and nothing else.
there's a huge difference between a team playing badly and a team sucking. A lot of people in the GDT clearly don't see that. A few different people were saying how we just aren't built for playoffs and how we're going to be a 1st round exit. Like we've never played a handful of bad games in a row before. And we're good enough that we still win some of these bad games :laugh:

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
According to some people they do. There are some people (including posters here) that complain about the Cup win last year, because they weren't the "buzz saw" they were in 2016. Seriously??!! They won the damn Cup!

The buzzsaw that damn near let Tampa s*** in their cornflakes...

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
I feel like Hagelin would be perfect for Brassard but the problem is Hagelin is also perfectly suited for Malkin at the moment and having Malkin operating at a Hart-trophy level is more important than getting Brassard operating at a 2C level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad