Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Blue Jackets 4 (SO) - No Letang, No Problem . . . Just as ColePens Foresaw It

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Biggest thing for better starts/consistency is keeping the damn lines that got them back tonight. Just flippin' stick with em for 10 games in a row...

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-G-Phil
Sheary-Sheahan-DiPauli/Reaves/ZAR/Sprong
Kuhn-Sheahan-Dipauli/Reaves/ZAR/Sprong

I actually liked Jake-Horny with Geno that one shift. Maybe it would work? I don't think they've ever tried Jake with Geno-Horny, have they?

And, maybe Phil would be good for Sid right now? Lord knows almost everything else, including Reaves, has been tried for more than a completely random shift.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Excuse me!!! I am stone cold sober.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Some have said Maata and Hunwick had good games? They wre both minus 2 tonight. As far as Matta looking good on the powerplay? Any solid d man looks good with a man advantage. No Letang and Dumo wasn't a minus? Hmmmm

Yeah. Hunwick is in on half the errors they make back there (no more obvious than tonight) and Maatta wasn’t terrible IMO but he got undressed once and fumbled the puck once or twice when it might’ve mattered.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
So if you're JR what do you make of that game? As usual a turd of a first, but then the team wakes up.

Must be infuriating for him trying to decide whether moves need to be made because the team does occasionally show signs of life and they'll have a win like this which you think they might build a streak off of. And then they.....don't.

I didn’t watch most of this one but what I’ve taken from the season is that it’s more of an effort and metal problem than a terrible roster problem. A trade could be the kick in the ass they need. Missing the playoffs could be the kick in the ass they need.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
So far tonight the Metro has picked up 9 of 10 possible points. Just amazing. Every night. They really need a run where they go 8-2 but it's going to have to come out of the thin air because they have not sustained good play for any length of time to this point this season.

We're going streaking, watch. Ten in a row. They are back.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Oleksiak has had two decent games and one not so decent game. Lets give him a bit, eh?

Hunwick on the other hand has had more than enough time, and is much older so a known quantity. He should never have been signed.
let this settle in, we swapped Hainsey for another d-man and lost that swap,honestly he may be the worst d-man that laced them up for Pens since Scuds was traded

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Murray has backed this team to two Cups. Let's cut him some slack. Oh and including he shut the Preds out in game 5 and 6... After Fleury blew it vs Ottawa.

Why do you feel Fleury blew it?

You could also say the other players blew it as well since they only gave him 3 goals of support in 3 games. That's one goal each game. A 2-1 loss/1-0 shutout win/ and a 5-1 loss. As the trend went he could of easily turned it around.

I'd hardly say Fleury was the only one who blew it. Even when Murray came in they had a tough go at it. Luckily, Nashville was dependant on the D-corps for scoring and the Pens gutted out wins on a team that shouldn't have even made it that far.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I didn’t watch most of this one but what I’ve taken from the season is that it’s more of an effort and metal problem than a terrible roster problem. A trade could be the kick in the ass they need. Missing the playoffs could be the kick in the ass they need.

That's the thing. It's just hard to say any more.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
In two years, no?

To me, he would be a Kessel-like addition (not the same caliber, but meh). Media in a huge market hate him because he can't be THE man. He would benefit greatly from being a "secondary" piece. Lethal shot. Good skater. Can PK as.well as PP.
He is also soft as shit, doesn't get in the dirty areas etc.

EDIT - And a Nun scores more than Patches on the PP

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hunwick is awful. Hated the signing since day one. NOT needed. I remember being told by people here that he is better than Ruh.....not close. Ruh is much better than Hunwick.

Yeah, all I heard all summer was how he played top two minutes for the Leafs completely ignoring he was a healthy scratch the year before on the worst team in the league, we signed him for THREE years (lol) the most he has ever gotten in his career at the age of 32. That contract had bad written all over it. Honestly, Reaves, Niemi and Hunwick have been our worst players this year.

Reactions: Shady Machine

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Poor game from Hunwick, i agree, but let's not forget he was on the top pairing tonight...way over his head.

You see Olli's shots and puck movement, then you see him get walked like he did tonight. You see what a warrior Cole is when he's on...

Bottom line for me is, if it's not a fantastic package(or player) for Letang, Cole or Maatta, i don't trade any of em right now...

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
let this settle in, we swapped Hainsey for another d-man and lost that swap,honestly he may be the worst d-man that laced them up for Pens since Scuds was traded
Wait, you think Oleksiak is the worst dman since Scuds? Really? I mean, sure, he may end up being terrible, but thats strong words after only three games.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I liked Sully better when winning mattered more than his ego.

Of course, I also used to say the same of Bylsma, but I digress . . .
sully know in his heart of heart that first line should be set forever: Jake-Sid Horny
second line if yoy will play Sid and Phil, it must be Hags on the left, I don't care if he ever scores a goal as long as he stops defens until geno and phil gets in and get the puck, and third line you have perfect combo of sheary and rust, if they get better 3c that would be rolling, than you have a great 4th line of Sheahan, Dipauli, blueger, rowney, reaves, ZAR, Johnson, mix them up and than when one of the top six gets hurt bring Sprong, but I digress:sarcasm:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Phil doesn't either and it doesn't really matter.

Pac does disappear in the POs though. Phil was always great in the POs.

Phil not working in the dirty areas means Geno has to spend an inordinate amount of time there given the LW options. So, it may not matter to Phil that Phil doesn't work in the dirty areas, but it does compromise what Geno can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad