Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Senators 0 - Pens Clinch #2 In Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Blitzkrieg? Worked for the Germans.
We had a 3-0 lead with about six minutes left, and Letang was in a battle for the puck with a senator behind the net, the problem was it was behind the Ottawa net. Now fortunately we covered for him with our forwards, but that's the sort of play and mentality that's concerning from KL.

That's not a smart play under those circumstances. And I don't see it changing much. I hope it does cause Letang has a world of talent, but you have to know in that scenario to make a better decision as far as where you position yourself when you're up by three late in a game.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Orrrr maybe you should be less definitive in your negativity. Because you were dead wrong. And not just a little wrong. Flat out dead wrong.

There are certain members on this forum who are right even when they're wrong. When will you accept this truth, Cole?

Good to see DeSmith get the shutout even though Sullivan playing him meant automatic doom for the Penguins.

Reactions: ColePens

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Crosby with 89 points in a " down" year. Others have to bust their ass all 82 games to get to that number ...if they do. He coasted half the season and still got 89. But this is 4 years in a row now. Next year he needs to go all out and win the ART. Getting sick of hearing "only 2 art rosses" , ignoring the fact he would have won at least 3 more.

But if Crosby wins another Art Ross, then Midnight Judges will have nothing to talk about on the main boards.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The biggest concern I have is puck management. We need to shore that up as much as anything. And Letang needs to stop roaming as much as he does.

We dominate, win 4-0, clinch home ice, stars got points... and you spend so much time complaining. It's insane.

There is a naturally very high chance we won't win the cup. There are 15 other teams, you know. Jesus... enjoy yourself. My goodness.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We dominate, win 4-0, clinch home ice, stars got points... and you spend so much time complaining. It's insane.

There is a naturally very high chance we won't win the cup. There are 15 other teams, you know. Jesus... enjoy yourself. My goodness.
Of course there's a high chance we won't win. I just don't want us beating ourselves in the process by making idiotic decisions with the puck. If we get beat by a better team so be it. I just don't want us to lose due to mental lapses, poor positioning and lack of attention to detail. Those are things we can and should control.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Of course there's a high chance we won't win. I just don't want us beating ourselves in the process by making idiotic decisions with the puck. If we get beat by a better team so be it. I just don't want us to lose due to mental lapses, poor positioning and lack of attention to detail. Those are things we can and should control.

So your answer for whining and being negative after the team just put together 2 wins back to back? One was coming from behind 4 times to win it and the other was domination to get home ice.

The gimmick has to stop. Honestly.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Only negative tonight is Geno didn't get two more points.
We turned the puck over quite a bit also.

On the positive side I really like ZAR and sincerely hope he is afforded an expanded role in the playoffs provided his play continues to warrant it. I thought he was very effective tonight. Very headsy player, good stick and positioning and most always is a physical presence.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
So your answer for whining and being negative after the team just put together 2 wins back to back? One was coming from behind 4 times to win it and the other was domination to get home ice.

Did you watch tonights game? We were outshot quite a bit and at least early on in the game we gave up many quality chances. It was a 4-0 win, but I don't think the score was indicative of the actual play. If we play a good opponent in the playoffs this performance won't be good enough. Too many turnovers and recklessness with the puck. Surely you could see that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Did you watch tonights game? We were outshot quite a bit and at least early on in the game we gave up many quality chances. It was a 4-0 win, but I don't think the score was indicative of the actual play. If we play a good opponent in the playoffs this performance won't be good enough. Too many turnovers and recklessness with the puck. Surely you could see that.

It was the final game of the regular season against an opponent the Pens knew they didn't have to bring their 'A' game in order to beat. Of course it wasn't going to be an instant classic. But they did what they had to to walk away with 2 points and clinch the 2nd seed.

Tampa also barely squeaked out a win tonight against the worst team in hockey (Buffalo), giving up 5 goals to a pretty sad Sabres team. And they're currently still playing for 1st in their division. I guess they should be worried about an early exit as well.

At some point, you need to just enjoy the games a bit more and not take every game like it's the end of the world if the team doesn't look 100% crisp in it.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Brassard - Crosby - Guentzel
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist
Sheary - Sheahan - Kessel
Aston-Reese - Jooris - Rust

That's what I'd like to see to start game 1 .

Reactions: ncm7772

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It was the final game of the regular season against an opponent the Pens knew they didn't have to bring their 'A' game in order to beat. Of course it wasn't going to be an instant classic. But they did what they had to to walk away with 2 points and clinch the 2nd seed.

Tampa also barely squeaked out a win tonight against the worst team in hockey (Buffalo), giving up 5 goals to a pretty sad Sabres team. And they're currently still playing for 1st in their division. I guess they should be worried about an early exit as well.

At some point, you need to just enjoy the games a bit more and not take every game like it's the end of the world if the team doesn't look 100% crisp in it.
I do enjoy it. Maybe your perception is that I don't, but I do. I talked about ZAR, I believe I mentioned Phil having a good game as well as the PK. Maybe you're not seeing every post which is fine, but I do complement this team or specific player when they play well.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Holy crap, Mike Rupp is saying he doesn't believe anyone we'll beat us in a seven game series! Well, I wouldn't go that far but I sure as hell hope he's right.

Hockey Freak 7

Kris Letang to another team. GOAT CROSBY 4 HART
Apr 1, 2018
Anyone noticed Letang is brutally bad in his zone, bad passing, often careless with puck, doesn’t know how to effectively create offense , his passing are behind players on his team and his passing go to opponents , throw the puck anywhere,bad on the blue line , bad breakouts, bad on the rush, boards and neutral zone?! Low low hockey iq? Out man and out muscled? Often times cause Crosby to get hemmed in zone and have him on ice with opponents scoring goal due to his bad all round play?!
Turnovers that leads to goals after team take the lead .
Anyone afraid that he will continue to hurting his team in the playoffs? Do you feel like the Pens can be way better without him with a new decent return and new structure defensively D core?

Put his team in bad spots, his teammates (especially Dumoulin)and often standing around.
Super bad defensively. Unaware etc..
Self-inflicting wounds on defense from bad pinching and not 5 man unit..

I like to see Defense into defense that go to high potent offense.

Seriously. Eye test shows all of it. It’s awful and bad.

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Holy crap, Mike Rupp is saying he doesn't believe anyone we'll beat us in a seven game series! Well, I wouldn't go that far but I sure as hell hope he's right.

7 Games is a long time. This team, as is, can drag a series out to that. Getting 4 wins is the hard part.

Anyone noticed Letang is brutally bad in his zone, bad passing, often careless with puck, doesn’t know how to effectively create offense , his passing are behind players on his team and his passing go to opponents , throw the puck anywhere,bad on the blue line , bad breakouts, bad on the rush, boards and neutral zone?! Low low hockey iq? Out man and out muscled? Often times cause Crosby to get hemmed in zone and have him on ice with opponents scoring goal due to his bad all round play?!

Anyone afraid that he will continue to hurting his team in the playoffs? Do you feel like the Pens can be way better without him with a new decent return and new structure defensively D core?

I mean. Honestly, I care and will bitch about this during games. But, a win is a win is a WIN in playoffs. I could care less if they give up 25 odd man rushes and Letang is somehow picking daisies out there in left field--as long as the game ends with the Pens up by a goal, I could care less.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

The frustrating part of it is Letang can play well. But we can't conclusively know that he will. And actually that goes for a number of players on our defense. They in most cases have the ability to, but whether they do or not is anyone's guess. I don't see such questions with most other playoff teams nor do I think they'll be vulnerable in beating themselves. We're kind of our own worst enemy at times which causes a lot of uncertainty. We could win the cup or lose in the first round, neither would surprise me. We're capable of doing something special here, but it depends from night to night, even shift to shift as to which pens team shows up.

Reactions: hockey07278771

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm just hoping they play their 12 best forwards to start.
I THINK kicking Kuhnackl to the press box has a chance of happening but this is Kuhn and this is Sully/Recchi...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
In an alternate universe? He's not even in the top 100. :eek:
Unfortunately that's the f***ed up universe that we're all in.

I really want Geno to just absolutely steam roll everyone in the playoffs to some insane numbers and win that C.S and then when anyone asks him how he feels..."Not bad, for #101."

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

There is an old joke that is brought to mind.

An elderly lady took her young grandson to the beach. She sat on a beach chair beneath an umbrella. She did her knitting while her grandson played with a small pail and shovel near the shore. He was wearing a sun hat.

There were many people at the beach - some frolicking in the water, some sunbathing, and some just enjoying the day. Suddenly, without any warning, a tsunami crashed ashore. It destroyed everything in its path! As the waters retreated to the ocean, all left behind was chaos and destruction.

Only one survived - the godly elderly lady. She was still sitting on her beach chair beneath her umbrella. Her unfinished knitting was on her lap. She was miraculously unscathed. She looked about, and then at the place where her young grandson had been just moments ago. She looked up to the heavens. With tears streaming from her eyes, she called out to God: "Why, Lord? Why? Why did you take away my beautiful grandson, who had his whole life before him, and yet left me, a pitiful old woman at the end of her life? Oh Lord, I would rather that You take me instead of him!"

Moments later, apparently in response to her petition, a second tsunami washed ashore. For a few brief minutes, all was chaotic as the wave pummeled the shore. But as its waters retreated back to the ocean, the elderly lady found herself sitting as before. To her amazement, near her was her grandson. He was still playing with his small pail and shovel, as if nothing had happened.

The elderly lady looked up to the heavens and exclaimed, "Lord, he had a hat!"

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Brassard - Crosby - Guentzel
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist
Sheary - Sheahan - Kessel
Aston-Reese - Jooris - Rust

That's what I'd like to see to start game 1 .

I see where your head is at, but we need that 4th line to be a little better and that means we need Sheahan there and Brassard on the 3rd line. That's our best chance to roll 4 strong lines that teams would have trouble matching up against.

Guentzel, Crosby, Aston-Reese
Hagelin, Malkin, Hornqvist
Sheary, Brassard, Kessel
Kuhnhackl, Sheahan, Rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad