Prospect Info: Penguins #4 prospect

Who's our 2018 #4 ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
After an impressive season, Jordy Bellerive makes his debut in the rankings at #3, winning decisively.

Added Justin Almeida.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (87.6%) (-)
#2 Tristan Jarry (52.6%) (-)
#3 Jordy Bellerive (72.8%) (new)

Reactions: DegenX

Havokedbird 33

Jul 13, 2018
Pittsburgh
Hallander impressed me mightily at prospect camp, so I'd go with him at 4. Although, I'm new here and I'm a terrible millennial....so I can't figure out how to vote.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Hallander impressed me mightily at prospect camp, so I'd go with him at 4. Although, I'm new here and I'm a terrible millennial....so I can't figure out how to vote.
I'm not sure how you're struggling to vote. If you're logged in, which you are, then the poll is the first thing that pops up.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Picked Addison. Highest ceiling. If he can develop into a 20 minute player in three or four years that would be right on track for when Letang's contract expires. In an ideal world.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Went for Hallander. I'm not sure he and Addison have such dissimilar ceilings but I feel a lot more confident about Hallander making a strong NHL floor.

eta: Add Lauzon.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Really? I think that shows how pathetic our prospect pool is.....

Bit of both. No questioning its a bit shallow right now with the latest batch of promotions/trades, but high picks should rank high right away in anyone's prospect pool. Ours haven't, by and large, because we've been reaching instead of collecting fallers. Hallander and Addison are different.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Bit of both. No questioning its a bit shallow right now with the latest batch of promotions/trades, but high picks should rank high right away in anyone's prospect pool. Ours haven't, by and large, because we've been reaching instead of collecting fallers. Hallander and Addison are different.

Yeah, thats what I was referring to.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Couldn't have said it better myself.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Voted Hallander over Addison. Filip's simple well executed game has more chance to translate into the NHL imo. Nothing against Addison but he's a D, takes more time to figure out.

I guess i'm playing it safe here.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Voted Hallander over Addison. Filip's simple well executed game has more chance to translate into the NHL imo. Nothing against Addison but he's a D, takes more time to figure out.

I guess i'm playing it safe here.

Can't go wrong either way. Craig Button had Hallander #21 in his draft rankings, and Addison #44. McKenzie's rankings had Addison #41 and Hallander #59 -- and the Pens had Addison higher as well, but the Pens felt they needed to trade up to secure Hallander -- so you can't really go wrong either way. Excited to see what both of these guys can do next year.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Can't go wrong either way. Craig Button had Hallander #21 in his draft rankings, and Addison #44. McKenzie's rankings had Addison #41 and Hallander #59 -- and the Pens had Addison higher as well, but the Pens felt they needed to trade up to secure Hallander -- so you can't really go wrong either way. Excited to see what both of these guys can do next year.
As i, including Riikola for good D medecine's sake. So if we make an average of these 2 rankings you cited its Hallander #40/Addison #42.5, pretty similar. Blueger, i don't know what to think of him, i'll read along to get an idea.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
As i, including Riikola for good D medecine's sake. So if we make an average of these 2 rankings you cited its Hallander #40/Addison #42.5, pretty similar. Blueger, i don't know what to think of him, i'll read along to get an idea.

ISS: Addision #52, Hallander #54
Hockey News: Hallander #43, Addison #45

So that average will now be even closer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Also, our as ready prospects have jumped relatively quick into our roster.

One of my main issues with Rutherford’s drafting the last two years is it was way too safe. 2015 and this year are good signs though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Can somebody explain why Addison isn't Derrick Pouliot 2.0?

Undersized, high scoring, WHL dman who's offensive slant is quite strong.

He can skate really well? Also, a better ppg on a lower scoring team in his draft year. And he’s not a top 10 pick that makes it hurt if he busts.

Ultimately Pouliot didn’t have a good IQ and took years to eventually get in shape. We’ll have to wait and see if Addison has those issues.

Also, our as ready prospects have jumped relatively quick into our roster.

One of my main issues with Rutherford’s drafting the last two years is it was way too safe. 2015 and this year are good signs though.

I wouldn’t even say safe. It was some outright stupid picks in the earlier rounds.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Thanks,

I see some of the same question marks from a skills standpoint. Obviously his defensive game is a work in progess, like 99% of Dmen at 17/18, but he seemingly is a great skater and has much better hockey IQ. Honestly the latter point is what makes me more positive in general. Pouliot just seemed to be a talented kid who didn't work hard at anything.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
After an impressive season, Jordy Bellerive makes his debut in the rankings at #3, winning decisively.

Added Justin Almeida.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (87.6%) (-)
#2 Tristan Jarry (52.6%) (-)
#3 Jordy Bellerive (72.8%) (new)
Thanks for doing these!
1p8G7Yu.gif

Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Tough one. I gave Hallander the edge because he seems more of a strong balance of potential and probability. Addison seems like more of a higher ceiling, boom bust prospect. I really like these picks.

Add Miletic.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Can somebody explain why Addison isn't Derrick Pouliot 2.0?

Undersized, high scoring, WHL dman who's offensive slant is quite strong.

He wasn't riding the coattails of a borderline dynastic WHL team like Pouliot did. Pouliot wasn't even the highest scoring defenseman on that Portland team in his draft year.

And why would it even be a bad problem if Addison was Pouliot 2.0? If you can get a bottom pair OFD out of a late 2nd rounder, you're happy with that. Addison wasn't a #8 overall pick like Pouliot was, so it's really not a problem if he only ends up a bottom pair OFD like Pouliot currently is.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I really went back and forth between Addison, Hallaner, and Olund. After Jarry, Blueger, and Sprong I have about 2 hours total amount of time invested in watching youtube videos of highlights from our other prospects. I wonder if other posters have much more knowledge. These polls are always fun though. Thanks for doing them!

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
He wasn't riding the coattails of a borderline dynastic WHL team like Pouliot did. Pouliot wasn't even the highest scoring defenseman on that Portland team in his draft year.

And why would it even be a bad problem if Addison was Pouliot 2.0? If you can get a bottom pair OFD out of a late 2nd rounder, you're happy with that. Addison wasn't a #8 overall pick like Pouliot was, so it's really not a problem if he only ends up a bottom pair OFD like Pouliot currently is.

Addison has bigger "bust" potential IMO. Just the fact he's an offensive Dman lends itself to being more prone to flaming out.

Hallander was mighty impressive against men from all accounts and plays a style that is conducive to being at least a bottom 6 staple with the ceiling more or less becoming a scoring line glue guy.

Ranking prospects isn't just about ceiling. It's about balancing expectations with reality IMO. Which is one thing this entire forum has a hard time with.

I'll take Hallander because he's already shown he can hang with adults, is versatile and seemingly has an incredible work rate/ethic. Yeah, Addison might have a bit higher peak, but I also think his chances of not panning out are significantly higher.

To me, that makes Hallander the superior prospect.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->