Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Jets 3 - ZAR Drives Off A Cliff . . . In ColePens New Maserati

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Keep Pearson with Geno. He's got a decent set of mitts, knows where to go, and is fairly strong on the boards. I'd like to see Pearson-Geno-Rust for an extended period of time. If Rust can get a goal soon, I think things start breaking for him. Let's worry about Horny when he gets back, but he's a plug and play guy. Play him on 4th line and double shift with Sid at times + top PP.

Reactions: BHD and Peat

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Keep Pearson with Geno. He's got a decent set of mitts, knows where to go, and is fairly strong on the boards. I'd like to see Pearson-Geno-Rust for an extended period of time. If Rust can get a goal soon, I think things start breaking for him. Let's worry about Horny when he gets back, but he's a plug and play guy. Play him on 4th line and double shift with Sid at times + top PP.
14-71-72

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Nice to get a road win against a good team.

I'm not expecting Wilson Sheahan and Grant to score very often, but i'd be happy if that line can just not get scored against.

If they can give you 7-10 minutes a night with some PK time and not get scored against that's a win for the Pens.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Would you gamble on Malkin and Hornqvist meshing together with Pearson as the LW? They could always go back to that line. If you're content with putting a $3.5 million guy on the 4th line for this year, you could have Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist, ZAR-Brassard-Kessel and Grant-Cullen-Rust as your 2nd-4th lines. I just don't like that 2nd line at all and I don't think they'll put Rust on the 4th line long term, I think they'd sooner trade him.

Gamble on in terms of giving it a few games? Sure, depending on what else is going and how much I fancy seeing McHurt rage that day. Actually expect it to work? Eh... I'm 50-50 on that. I'm a lot higher on Pearson-Malkin-Rust working, that heavily resembles some successful lines of the past and if Rust would hit a hot streak I think it would be an awesome line.

If Rust slips to the 4th... I think he's got until the end of the season, barring a good trade, before he's gone.

Although I'm more curious about a scenario where Simon and Rust stick as the top 6 wingers for the season. Like, how long do you look at 12m of winger in the bottom 6 before going "Okay, this is silly?"

p.s. Re Sprong - I think his main problem is his hockey IQ + experience levels simply don't add up to being in a good place and doing good things often enough.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
p.s. Re Sprong - I think his main problem is his hockey IQ + experience levels simply don't add up to being in a good place and doing good things often enough.

Add his mediocre skating and I entirely agree. If Sprong was faster, he's be an insanely more effective player, because he could create space for himself based on his speed. He's not a strong skater though, and he doesn't have the hockey IQ like Simon does to create space for himself or his linemates.

I still think Rust for a LW and Sprong for whatever is the move they should be making. If Rust can't click with Malkin and Pearson, they should just move him instead of gambling on whether a $3.5 million player is abruptly finished.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
My only complaint with NHL.tv is for whatever reason the stream always seems to be a bit behind the TV folks. So if I'm constantly spamming refresh in a game day thread I'll often see people cheering for a goal (or complaining about a goal against) and I won't have even seen the goal happen yet. That's kinda annoying.

To get around that I usually try to time my posts for during commercial breaks so I don't spoil myself.

Yeah, I hear ya on that.

Reactions: Pancakes

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Add his mediocre skating and I entirely agree. If Sprong was faster, he's be an insanely more effective player, because he could create space for himself based on his speed. He's not a strong skater though, and he doesn't have the hockey IQ like Simon does to create space for himself or his linemates.

I still think Rust for a LW and Sprong for whatever is the move they should be making. If Rust can't click with Malkin and Pearson, they should just move him instead of gambling on whether a $3.5 million player is abruptly finished.

I'm not particularly arguing with your Rust assessment, but I don't think he's going to be traded just for the sake of being traded while he's still a good energy player, and I'm not too confident in Rutherford finding a good deal as things stand.

Sometimes I think Sprong is a good skater. Sometimes not. Can't make my mind up. He looks like he should be able to beat guys with his stick and skating but never does.

Reactions: Shady Machine

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Can't believe I'm typing this, but it looked like Wilson and Grant had decent 3rd periods.

And hear me out! Don't anyone lose it! Is it me, or did JJ have a decent game?

Team still has immense issues, but I'll shut up for the rest of the night. They found a way to win.

Thought JJ had an OK game, there was one hilarious disaster that he and Oleksiak almost got beaten to the inside by Little even though they both had position on him.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

200.gif

Sure. I'd like to see Rust there a few games and then see how things shake out.

Especially since 14-71-72 SUCKED for the few games Sully had them together.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah but where else will Sullivan promote Aston-Reese to?

You know it to be true, Aston-Reese-Malkin-Rust...it's what Sully fantasizes about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad