Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Jets 3 - ZAR Drives Off A Cliff . . . In ColePens New Maserati

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Man, Ranta-Mack are going to destroy us tomorrow.

Tristan Jarry, I will still respect you after this game tomorrow.

Not all teams in the West are slow and this is one of them...
Can we win against this type of team playing plug and chug hockey?
Who knows but I for one will more than happy if JR can make some moves soon for some quicker, more skilled players because I hate that boring *** hit someone hockey...
Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to get some desperately needed wins but good lord did I hate watching it...

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
A few observations about last night's game:

- it's really nice to win a game without stellar goaltending required. DeSmith was mediocre at best last night. Yeah he made a few key saves at critical moments (what goaltender on a winning side of the scoreboard doesn't?), but two goals were positively AHL-level goals to give up. Of course, two goals scored on the other end of the ice were ECHL-level bad. That certainly did not hurt.

- The bottom six looked fantastic once Kessel and Rust flip-flopped. The second line with Rust was an abomination. I sincerely hope Mike Sullivan does not think the lines we had in the third period last night are the winning recipe, but somehow I think he will. I think we need to prepare ourselves for two weeks of Geno disappearance and frustration. I do admit there seems to be something there between Aston-Reese and Kessel. Some chemistry. I suppose polar opposites really do attract sometimes. But Pearson and Malkin could really use a sniper, creative offensive type to complete the second line if Kessel is to remain on the third line. Gee, if ONLY we had one of those lying around, doing nothing but eat popcorn in the press box. If only...

- Am I the only one frustrated with how Sullivan utilizes the fourth line? When Sprong is on the fourth line, we play three lines (when clearly Sprong needs minutes to be able to produce like he can, like he will, and like we need him to). When Garrett Rowney Wilson is on the fourth line, we play balanced, four-line hockey. The coach has it bass-ackwards. He loves the gritty, grinding types and that's when he plays four lines. And yet, when we had the best fourth liner in the NHL (Ryan Reaves), he played three lines. And then we sat him because we were a four-line team. The whole thing is really frustrating. We could have had Reaves patrolling the fourth line. We CAN have Daniel Sprong. The coach wants Garrett Wilson and his ilk.

- Of COURSE, all of this would be resolved if the coach played Sprong higher than the fourth line, which is what everybody needs for the situation to work itself out. But 41 is now looking at two weeks of popcorn time after last night. When we lose and he is in the lineup, it's his fault and he sits out. Our next loss, however, will NOT be because of the fourth line. Why? Well because they are fourth liners, what did you expect? It's terribly unfair and biased but there is nothing we can do about it. Trading Sprong before he actually busts out screams of Markus Naslund to me, so all we can do is keep him and hope the next opportunity is the right one. I think JR will need to start sending him down for two-week conditioning stints. Bring him back up after he puts up 11 points in 4 games to get his confidence back.

- I think Riikola is starting to really assert himself in the league. Still not sure what we have in him, but I think he is capable of playing any role required and doing it effectively. I don't think he should be taken out of the lineup when Schultz returns, and I think the only reason he should be the No. 7 is if we can deal Maatta in an upgrade trade. Otherwise, I think Riikola is the better Finnish blueliner for this team right now. Maatta is No. 7 when Schultz returns, imo. Johnson is steady and Oleksiak makes an impact as a perfect No. 6. Dumoulin needs to improve and then I think we will be fine on D. Maybe use Dumoulin with Schultz when the latter returns and go back to Johnson-Letang, with Oleksiak and Riikola as the third pairing. Something like that.

- I think Tristan Jarry has a real chance tonight to cement the No. 1 job for the foreseeable future. A win in the thin air of Denver on back-to-back nights would be a very nice statement by the kid.

- Please do not touch Line 1, ever. I implore the coach. Simon is exactly where he needs to be, Crosby loves playing with him, and Guentzel provides so much of the intangibles (plus the sniping ability). It really is a perfect unit, so naturally Sullivan will find a way to mess with it when they go in a bit of a bad stretch. Which is inevitable. But damn, that line is nice and fun to watch. Sid really loves playing with them, it is pretty obvious to the naked eye.

Reactions: Giskard

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
I actually loved watching it; like getting an unexpected kiss from Emily Ratajkowski. You know it'll never last, but a dirty win is sweet as sin.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
:nod: My son doesn’t believe I pay for center ice cause all the games arent in hd. I tell him takes me back to the good old days of watching the game on channel 53 without aluminum foil on my uhf antenna
I had Verizon and all Center Ice games were HD. But switched to Comcast (for overall 2 year deal savings) and I knew from previous experience that many of the games were shown only in SD. So instead of CI purchase, I went with NHL.TV, as Comcast's internet speed is pretty good. Some buffering issues here and there, but overall, satisfied with it.

Reactions: Al Smith

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Regarding the fourth line. I think it is a disaster, but people never expected Kuhn - Cullen - Fehr to amount to much when it was first grouped. I think a ZAR - Cullen - Grant or Sheahan - Cullen - Grant line could surprise. Doubt it, but who knows. Wilson actually looked pretty decent last night and Grant has been relatively solid every game he has played.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I had Verizon and all Center Ice games were HD. But switched to Comcast (for overall 2 year deal savings) and I knew from previous experience that many of the games were shown only in SD. So instead of CI purchase, I went with NHL.TV, as Comcast's internet speed is pretty good. Some buffering issues here and there, but overall, satisfied with it.

My only complaint with NHL.tv is for whatever reason the stream always seems to be a bit behind the TV folks. So if I'm constantly spamming refresh in a game day thread I'll often see people cheering for a goal (or complaining about a goal against) and I won't have even seen the goal happen yet. That's kinda annoying.

To get around that I usually try to time my posts for during commercial breaks so I don't spoil myself.

Reactions: Smasher and Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The bottom six looked fantastic once Kessel and Rust flip-flopped. The second line with Rust was an abomination. I sincerely hope Mike Sullivan does not think the lines we had in the third period last night are the winning recipe, but somehow I think he will. I think we need to prepare ourselves for two weeks of Geno disappearance and frustration. I do admit there seems to be something there between Aston-Reese and Kessel. Some chemistry. I suppose polar opposites really do attract sometimes. But Pearson and Malkin could really use a sniper, creative offensive type to complete the second line if Kessel is to remain on the third line. Gee, if ONLY we had one of those lying around, doing nothing but eat popcorn in the press box. If only...

The Penguins don't need a sniper on that line, they need exactly what Rust is supposed to be, and Sprong deserves to be playing with Malkin even less than a horrible Rust does. Let it go, Sprong doesn't deserve that spot. Even with Rust playing really badly this year, he's still doing more statistically to generate offensive chances than Sprong is. Let that sink in.

There's a reason that the Penguins have scored 2 goals with Sprong on the 4th line, and the 4th line has scored like 7 or 8 without him on that line. It's because he has been terrible this year at generating any sort of offense, which is basically the only thing he can do. At this point, it's basically just ignoring all of the stats which say he has been terrible and just screaming about him getting an undeserved spot. Sprong isn't a part of this team's future, in large part because of how he has played in the NHL this year.

I really wish the Penguins would just move Sprong already, he may be good someday, but today he's just a bad player and the Penguins need roster spots for good players.

Regarding the fourth line. I think it is a disaster, but people never expected Kuhn - Cullen - Fehr to amount to much when it was first grouped. I think a ZAR - Cullen - Grant or Sheahan - Cullen - Grant line could surprise. Doubt it, but who knows. Wilson actually looked pretty decent last night and Grant has been relatively solid every game he has played.

I think you ideally dump Sheahan, have Grant and Cullen battle it out for the 4C spot and have ZAR, some sort of fast RWer and whoever wins the 4C battle as the 4th line.

Try to convince Hornqvist he's a LW and run with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Pearson-Malkin-Rust (hopefully Rust turns it back on, because he's exactly what that line needs)
Hornqvist-Brassard-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen/Grant-Fast RWer

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I really wish the Penguins would just move Sprong already, he may be good someday, but today he's just a bad player and the Penguins need roster spots for good players.

His main problem is he's not trustworthy defensively. That's fine if you're a Kessel or Malkin and scoring a lot to make up for it but Sprong isn't.

He's not especially fast either or a great skater in terms of edgework.

I think he's got the potential to be a bit of a one dimensional sniper type like a Petr Sykora, but I'm not sure the coaching staff here has the patience to let him figure it out.

At this point I'm willing to move him as a package to upgrade our scoring depth or grab a defenseman. It doesn't seem like he has a future here unless things dramatically change over the next few months with him.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I'm sure its been said somewhere, but I haven't made it through the pages yet. However I am not about the praise Sheahan, ZAR and Grant. I will however thank the Jets for having a goalie that let in such weak goals. The only good one was Sid's.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
- Am I the only one frustrated with how Sullivan utilizes the fourth line? When Sprong is on the fourth line, we play three lines (when clearly Sprong needs minutes to be able to produce like he can, like he will, and like we need him to). When Garrett Rowney Wilson is on the fourth line, we play balanced, four-line hockey. The coach has it bass-ackwards. He loves the gritty, grinding types and that's when he plays four lines. And yet, when we had the best fourth liner in the NHL (Ryan Reaves), he played three lines. And then we sat him because we were a four-line team. The whole thing is really frustrating. We could have had Reaves patrolling the fourth line. We CAN have Daniel Sprong. The coach wants Garrett Wilson and his ilk.

I swear to god I wonder if some of you have ever watched a hockey game before.

Reaves was trash. Reaves is trash. We were a far worse team with him on the ice. He killed our offence and wasn't good defensively either.

Maybe Reaves would have been the best fourth liner in the NHL in 1997 but for us he sucked. Big time.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
His main problem is he's not trustworthy defensively. That's fine if you're a Kessel or Malkin and scoring a lot to make up for it but Sprong isn't.

I think he's got the potential to be a bit of a one dimensional sniper type like a Petr Sykora, but I'm not sure the coaching staff here has the patience to let him figure it out.

At this point I'm willing to move him as a package to upgrade our scoring depth or grab a defenseman. It doesn't seem like he has a future here unless things dramatically change over the next few months with him.

I'm not sure if Sykora would make it in today's NHL. Our coach can barely tolerate Kessel and he put up 90 pts last year.

If you're not willing to block shots, backcheck, support the puck and adhere to a coach's system rigidly, you better be a game breaking offensive player, or your coach isn't going to play you much.

Reactions: Pancakes

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I think Tristan Jarry has a real chance tonight to cement the No. 1 job for the foreseeable future. A win in the thin air of Denver on back-to-back nights would be a very nice statement by the kid.

After (what might be) his second win of the season? Seems a little premature. I think fans just need to accept that our goaltending situation is up in the air right now and be more patient about it.

Reactions: Peat

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
:nod: My son doesn’t believe I pay for center ice cause all the games arent in hd. I tell him takes me back to the good old days of watching the game on channel 53 without aluminum foil on my uhf antenna

Haha, nice! Yeah it's kinda BS they aren't all HD.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I still can't believe what an incredible pass that Simon made to 87 on the first goal.

I hope he is keeps it up and forces the hand to stay on that line, but consistency is Simon's great problem.

That oozed "I know how to play with Sid". Stretched the ice and put the puck in an area Sid can skate into.

87 like dat shit.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
And just to remind myself - Sid was such a beast tonight. I know we've taken it for granted in a way because he's just done it so long... but man those days will be gone one day. So don't forget that.

It's going to be sad with he signs in Montreal as FA :sarcasm:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think you ideally dump Sheahan, have Grant and Cullen battle it out for the 4C spot and have ZAR, some sort of fast RWer and whoever wins the 4C battle as the 4th line.

Try to convince Hornqvist he's a LW and run with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Pearson-Malkin-Rust (hopefully Rust turns it back on, because he's exactly what that line needs)
Hornqvist-Brassard-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen/Grant-Fast RWer

I think that'd read a lot better with ZAR on the 3rd, praying that Sully and his previous successes with Sid/Geno are right, and Horny on the 4th (double shift at times to keep ice time high) with a fast LWer because

A) I really don't like ZAR as a 4th liner
B) I like Hornqvist as Kessel's LW even less and here's a big reason why - Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick
C) We actually have speedy LWers in stock for depth (if they wanted to go this way, which maybe they don't)

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think that's one of his many problems :laugh:

I agree with what you're saying, especially when mentioning his edgework. One thing Sprong has going for him is that he does play somewhat gritty, he's not afraid to throw around his weight and he's willing to block shots. He's not a soft player, so that's at least a positive with him. If he can start producing, I think there will definitely be a coach who's willing to overlook his other problems (skating, defensive play, ability to create his own offense, ect). The problem is that he's not producing, and based on what I've seen, I'm not sure he'll be able to produce unless you're putting him in a super favorable spot with great linemates.

Sprong needs to be a super productive player in the NHL for teams to look beyond his issues. Look at what happened to someone like Gagner, he was put on waivers after a year where he "only" had 31 points in 74 games and was traded for nothing twice after having 37 points in 67 games and 41 points in 81 games. If Sprong can't become a consistent 20-20 player, I don't even think he'll end up a NHLer because of the other problems in his game.

I think that'd read a lot better with ZAR on the 3rd, praying that Sully and his previous successes with Sid/Geno are right, and Horny on the 4th (double shift at times to keep ice time high) with a fast LWer because

A) I really don't like ZAR as a 4th liner
B) I like Hornqvist as Kessel's LW even less and here's a big reason why - Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick
C) We actually have speedy LWers in stock for depth (if they wanted to go this way, which maybe they don't)

Would you gamble on Malkin and Hornqvist meshing together with Pearson as the LW? They could always go back to that line. If you're content with putting a $3.5 million guy on the 4th line for this year, you could have Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist, ZAR-Brassard-Kessel and Grant-Cullen-Rust as your 2nd-4th lines. I just don't like that 2nd line at all and I don't think they'll put Rust on the 4th line long term, I think they'd sooner trade him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Awesome win!

I'm nervous about tonights game. That Mack/Rat duo gonna pepper our Angus.

I think Sid and Letang can keep them in check, but the Malkin line is gonna need to get it going. Not exactly counting on the trash heaps to score again tonight.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
++++ Sid line: Wow was Sid on a different planet tonight. He was so good and Jake/Simon really did their part, too. Great stuff by Sid. Out of this world vision and play. On his goal, he was playing chess while the Jets were playing checkers.

+++ Letang: Dominant game and he's been dominant for games. He's just throwing grown men around like it's nothing and his outlets are super quick. What a tremendous game by Letang.

+ Grinders scoring goals: I'm afraid it will hurt us in the long run, but **** it! They won us the game. But if we play pluggers against metro teams who have speed, we will be up against it. I don't want to have a false hope of grinder players. We are playing the Jets. It works against them. Do not get fooled. Celebrate tonight but understand how to better this team.

you want secondary scoring, especially in the playoffs. The 4th line chipping in is always a good thing.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Based on what I've been reading here, we need to find a way to balance the lines when Horny's back. I know people will have a fit and Sully will never do it...but...just maybe...

Jake - Sid - Simon
Rust - Geno- Horny (it pains me to put this out there, since Horny usually kills Geno's production)
Pearson - Brass - Kessel
ZAR - Sheahan - Grant/Cullen/Wilson

The first line works, sure it would be better if Simon was on the LW, since we are weaker on LW, but Kessel, Horny and Rust don't work well with Sid. Rust isn't as good at LW as he is at RW, but with his struggles this year it shouldn't make a difference. He has the speed and the skill to possibly negate the damage Horny does to Geno's game. In this situation the top 3 lines could all play about the same time and good luck stopping that 3rd line.

I'm not giving up on Sprong but when this team is healthy he doesn't fit. If Horny's out slide Sprong in there for a game or two, same if Kessel ever misses a game (I know iron man streak and all).

Of course this will never happen because Sully needs ZAR playing 15+Mins a night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->