Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Islanders 1 - What The **** Was That?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
This is the first game where I felt like they were a team from start to finish. L1 started well and then no one wanted to play defense. L2 struggled early but there was an immediate shift in the second period. Zucker started playing his game. I'm stunned. I thought he was just going to go quietly into the night. I think Rust going on that line changed it. Playing with Malkin isn't hard you just have to have confidence in yourself and get open. Zucker has the skills to play there and he and Rust are fast. I saw them talking so hopefully Rust was helping.

Jarry played like last season.

Our fourth line needs help. I like the D but Letang's minutes have to be cut.

This was a good game and we can build on this.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
giphy.gif

Sid++
Jarry++
Bueger++
Zucker+++
Rusty+++
Kappy+++
Matheson+++

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Best effort in awhile for sure.

Now we will see the Isles play a much more heavy and aggressive game next time, especially if they get a lead. They will target Geno and Letang and attempt to goad them into dumb retaliation penalties.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Games like that just are so frustrating because it shows you there’s still a ton to like about this roster. There’s just no consistency.

And on D, small sample size but it seems like the base case scenario is starting to play out. Matheson and Marino are forming a solid pairing, Petts and Ceci are solid, and POJ looks like he belongs in the league. That creates a surplus on the left side once Dumo comes back and gives Hextall some options to patch other parts of the team.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Magnificent game, like dialing back the clock a few years.

Biggest pluses have to be for Jarry. He was OUTSTANDING +++++

Kapanen on L1++++++ the speed is real
L2 and Geno beginning to wake up
MATHESON+++++ wow, guy was actually getting saucy out there
Ceci, POJ, Marino+
The Buzzsaw boys as always+

Only minus I can think of is still being snakebitten on the PP. But the looks and shots are finally happening.

God, I loved watching that game. A real beaut

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Complete game. 60 minutes. Won all periods. Defense is starting to gel, I would rather Dumoulin not coming back, IMO this should be their defense and I am more than fine with it. Jarry and Matheson were phenomenal but really no other complaints other than maybe 4th line but who cares about them. Played with some structure too. Sweet 2 points, super-important. Now repeat this on Saturday too, please.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@Gurglesons, as we discussed, this is the first time I've seen this type of chemistry with Malkin and Zucker. It wasn't perfect, but it went next level on that shift before the Zucker goal when Malkin caught Zucker coming to the net and fed him that one timer he shot.

Still way too early to know if its an aberration more than a sign of things to come, but there's a glimmer of hope there. Let's see how they build on it.

EDIT: It also helped having Rust there. Rust always has had great chemistry with Geno, and he's seemed to mesh well with Zucker, so that probably smoothed over some things too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
@Gurglesons, as we discussed, this is the first time I've seen this type of chemistry with Malkin and Zucker. It wasn't perfect, but it went next level on that shift before the Zucker goal when Malkin caught Zucker coming to the net and fed him that one timer he shot.

Still way too early to know if its an aberration more than a sign of things to come, but there's a glimmer of hope there. Let's see how they build on it.

EDIT: It also helped having Rust there. Rust always has had great chemistry with Geno, and he's seemed to mesh well with Zucker, so that probably smoothed over some things too.

Zucker simplified his game. Got in front of the net and played the role he needed to.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I do want to say that our PP looks better (kinda)

But our PK is still a disasterclass.

@EightyOne imma bitch anyway, kay? =)

NO!

This is the first game where I felt like they were a team from start to finish. L1 started well and then no one wanted to play defense. L2 struggled early but there was an immediate shift in the second period. Zucker started playing his game. I'm stunned. I thought he was just going to go quietly into the night. I think Rust going on that line changed it. Playing with Malkin isn't hard you just have to have confidence in yourself and get open. Zucker has the skills to play there and he and Rust are fast. I saw them talking so hopefully Rust was helping.

Jarry played like last season.

Our fourth line needs help. I like the D but Letang's minutes have to be cut.

This was a good game and we can build on this.

Yup. That could be a pivotal game.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Zucker and Geno have a pulse, hopefully a start of things to come.

Get Kapenen to figure out his place with Crosby and Jake and I like it.

Defense looked real nice, MM was everywhere and creating alot of offense.

Jarry getting come confidence back.

Bluger and Tanev have looked great this year in thier roles

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This game is all on Mike Sullivan. His line changes really sparked the team. You saw how it paid off on the score sheet. Crosby goal assisted by KK. ZMR combined for two more. Gotta give the pilot helmet to Sully.

Actually, I'm a little more impressed that they seemed to be defending with layers a little more in the neutral zone and really seemed committed to packing the house and not chasing crap on the perimeter in the defensive zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->