Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Golden Knights 2 - Cough Drops and Hot Dogs for Everyone?s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Agreed entirely. I don't think it's a personnel issue outside of a couple of guys on defense--Maatta and Oleksiak specifically. I think it's a "give a ****" issue. Guys are entirely too used to winning games off the back of offensive firepower.

We have as good a forward corps as we've ever had in the Sid/Geno era, or ever will have. These guys are capable in all three zones, and while I'd like to see some changes and think we can improve/reshape some things, I think these guys are absolutely capable of winning another Cup. Our blueline is up in the air, but if Letang's playing like Mad Max he's infinitely better than calm, calculated, cerebral Letang (as long as he stays healthy for the playoffs, which is a huge concern of mine--colossal). Riikola looks like an absolute stud, but it's one game and there are bound to be growing pains. Maatta's a ****show, Oleksiak's not far behind, Schultz is a shadow of his former self in terms of transition and offensive ability, JJ is either solid (not spectacular) or really looks like he's struggling. Murray's gotta sort his **** out too. All of our shortcomings can be smoothed over, for better or worse, if Murray's playing up to his ability. We won a Cup with a flawed roster and abysmal defensive play, but we were only able to do so because of clutch goaltending by MAF and Murray, coupled with timely scoring from overwhelming offensive juggernauts at forward.

Playing defense is boring and hard work. Scoring goals is fun.

I know this is being simplistic, but you are never going to get a team of gifted players like this to play a committed two way game for 82 games.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
before I forget:
Jake Sid Brass
Hags Sheahan Kessel
Rust Geno Sprong
Simon Cullen Horny

We’re you watching Star Wars while posting this ;)

never%2Btell%2Bme%2Bthe%2Bodds.gif

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
We needed a big game from the netminder and got it. Was getting really tired with the head up his ass Murray, head scrambled and I'm hurt again Murray. Love ya kid, but you got some voodoo on you.

Riikola was a real beaut.

Win.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Agreed entirely. I don't think it's a personnel issue outside of a couple of guys on defense--Maatta and Oleksiak specifically. I think it's a "give a ****" issue. Guys are entirely too used to winning games off the back of offensive firepower.

We have as good a forward corps as we've ever had in the Sid/Geno era, or ever will have. These guys are capable in all three zones, and while I'd like to see some changes and think we can improve/reshape some things, I think these guys are absolutely capable of winning another Cup. Our blueline is up in the air, but if Letang's playing like Mad Max he's infinitely better than calm, calculated, cerebral Letang (as long as he stays healthy for the playoffs, which is a huge concern of mine--colossal). Riikola looks like an absolute stud, but it's one game and there are bound to be growing pains. Maatta's a ****show, Oleksiak's not far behind, Schultz is a shadow of his former self in terms of transition and offensive ability, JJ is either solid (not spectacular) or really looks like he's struggling. Murray's gotta sort his **** out too. All of our shortcomings can be smoothed over, for better or worse, if Murray's playing up to his ability. We won a Cup with a flawed roster and abysmal defensive play, but we were only able to do so because of clutch goaltending by MAF and Murray, coupled with timely scoring from overwhelming offensive juggernauts at forward.

I think people underestimate how freaking dedicated to team defense our Cup winning teams. Especially 2016. Team commitment at its finest. The commitment and urgency was through the damn roof.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
New guy comes in from Europe and in his first game says...”wish all these defenseman could handle the puck like me... like, that Letang guy is good but the rest of those dudes...”

... but that wouldn’t win him any points with his teammates, and worst of all no one on the team would squad up with him on Fortnite anymore.

They should probably just trade Malkin.

Imagine the package they would get for him.

Lots of depth and stuff.
Hi, my old friend :) You need to calm down the expectations a bit on that package thing tho, that lazy Russian, who doesn't play defense, couldn't fetch a lot

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
If I was going to move Brassard to wing I’d keep him on the left side. Last season Kessel and Sheahan only looked great when Jake was there. Brassard is a real smart player and would complement Sprong.

Brassard-Crosby-Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel
Simon/Grant-Cullen-Rust

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Brassard should not be a wing. Reconfigure the 3rd to give him some damn honest-to-God talent.

Try Simon on Sid's RW. If Horny's gotta do a stint on the 4th, so be it.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Love Sid. But Guentzel and a third wheel should be enough for him to do his thing. Let him have Simon if he won't play with PH.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
You guys are whacked, results are the name of the game not how you look getting those results. After being +3 with a hatty, I'm not touching that line. Especially when it's literally the only reason you managed to out score the other team tonight.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
No offense, but it's incredibly early. Horny's a PP demon and always shows his worth at ES over the course of a season.

I don't think Horny will drop off drastically this season. It was more looking at the contract term and how Horny fits with our top 3 centers. Also, what would we get back if traded or what we could have done with the cap space for a better fit at wing or D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad