Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Coyotes 2 - Thank You Geno for Not Making Us Watch OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
We were saying similar things (albeit, different issues) around Christmas time last season. There’s still over half a season left.

We have a different roster though. Last years roster didn’t change much from the year before. This time we lost a decent amount of offense (some good defensive players too) so he does have to make some moves for us to make playoffs and be a legit contender again.

The good news is in this current situation we have the right GM to turn it around.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We have a different roster though. Last years roster didn’t change much from the year before. This time we lost a decent amount of offense (some good defensive players too) so he does have to make some moves for us to make playoffs and be a legit contender again.

The good news is in this current situation we have the right GM to turn it around.

The bad news is the teams that best fit our trade partner are buyers and not sellers. That changes the game quite a bit.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly, a lot of people seem to watch the actual games that way too. Every goal against is a colossal failure by someone as opposed to simply a nice play by the other team. Every loss is an indicator that the team is garbage as opposed to the other team just playing well.

There's very little acknowledgement that the other teams exist and are doing all the same things to win that we're doing. It's one of the weirder parts of sports fandom and it's definitely not unique to Pens fans.

I think this post is spot on, however last night was not a good example of it. Last night we did deserve to win. But nonetheless - your argument is great.

Teams are hungrier than us. They deserve the lucky bounces in 1 goal games because they are hungry. 100% agree.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The bad news is the teams that best fit our trade partner are buyers and not sellers. That changes the game quite a bit.

Which probably means a bigger deal is more likely. That’s when it gets a little nervous for us fans.

I’m still hoping he can get the guy who he has been wanting forever (Duchene). I think the holding off on trying other moves because he wanted Duchene so bad has cost us (more so than JR thought) so it’d be poetic to land him now.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
More than one methinks, and the meltdown here will be epic. :popcorn:
JR right now

AkxUpRe.gif

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We were saying similar things (albeit, different issues) around Christmas time last season. There’s still over half a season left.

I'm talking specifically about the horrible production at 5 on 5. We didn't have that issue last season.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Had people over last night, so only watched here and there. Team did not look good, but I will take the two points considering how bad the team is right now.

From what I've seen since he's come back, Murray looks solid, which is good.

Happy to read most of you though Geno was great last night, as he's stunk lately.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
What I don't understand about the line juggling is that no matter how many times Sully shuffles things he will never ever try certain combinations.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

You only need two buyers that need what each other is selling.

Trades are not all about ripping the bottom dwellers UFA's or players not in their plans away from them. There are mutual partners who have the same goals but don't have all the parts they need that each other does have.

It only takes one partner.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
What I don't understand about the line juggling is that no matter how many times Sully shuffles things he will never ever try certain combinations.
Sort of beside your point but this is exactly why I think, while there might be a little truth to Crosby not wanting to play with Horny, it's a little overblown around here. If Sid was as against it as people say then I don't think they'd go back to it as much as they do.

If anything, there's probably more to suggest Crosby doesn't want to play with Kessel because he pretty much never does. Even when Geno's out. But I really don't think players are making any demands/requests anyway. The line combos are 100% on the coach in the end.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
More than one methinks, and the meltdown here will be epic. :popcorn:

I'm pretty much open to whatever they decide to move, but the only prospect id like kept is Gustavsson (and Jarry, hopefully stays as the back up). If they move either right now ill be disappointed. Otherwise I'm good with whatever they try to do.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You only need two buyers that need what each other is selling.

Trades are not all about ripping the bottom dwellers UFA's or players not in their plans away from them. There are mutual partners who have the same goals but don't have all the parts they need that each other does have.

It only takes one partner.

I'm not arguing that... but there is no easy way to put it. Vegas was our best partner. They have exactly what we need and many of them. That doesn't change what I wrote one bit. Sure - a trade partner may be somewhere else. That's fair.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not arguing that... but there is no easy way to put it. Vegas was our best partner. They have exactly what we need and many of them. That doesn't change what I wrote one bit. Sure - a trade partner may be somewhere else. That's fair.

What I meant specifically was teams in the same boat as the Pens. Teams just sitting outside the wildcard looking for a change to get them in the playoff contention.

We are always just targeting the bottom feeders or a team like Vegas evidently who had a plan to contend for the playoffs right away. They probably were never in the mix at all. Most just thought they would be the typical new franchise and just suck right off the bat.

Times have changed. The Pens made deals with St. Louis, Chicago and the such who were not bottom feeders.

Let's look at some of those teams that could use a shakeup, too.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Looks like COL will be down a top D-Man tonight.
Erik Johnson got 2 games for almost killing Namestnikov.
Would've put this in the pre-game thread but she's still locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad