Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Coyotes 2 - Thank You Geno for Not Making Us Watch OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DReynolds

Oct 13, 2016
Would love for the Pens' season to reflect the progression of Maatta's 3rd period plays: God awful unholy hot garbage --> good/lucky as f*** --> great. Can we get to stage II soon?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Will it be the right trade, though? I'm sure I'll be informed of the errors in my thinking, but the truth is GMJR's whiffed on just as many as he's gotten right.

There's a reason I've been using the words 'for better or worse' when I talk about the scope of what JR may do. ;)

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I was thinking about that Pens were looking on par with bad teams back to the Philly game. But then back to back wins vs Buffalo, so I thought maybe we still can beat bad teams pretty easily, but nope, Buffalo was just that bad.

So every game remains a bit of a struggle. Scoring 5 on 5 too. And if PP isn't 5 on 3 or 4 on 3 it's not that hot either.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
But they were all in a very short amount of time meaning he corrected as he went along.

I don't think he has made an outright mistake recently other than, Reaves.

The turnover was just a system of the cap.
I'm not talking about who he did or didn't re-sign. Just his trades. The idea that he 'corrected as he went along' reinforces my point.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
There's a reason I've been using the words 'for better or worse' when I talk about the scope of what JR may do. ;)

Is it Lucic? ...Hahahahaha......

I think part of what makes me so uneasy about what he may do is some of their recent actions. They won with speed and skill. Started drafting gritty D and added gritty Reaves. Who's to say after utilizing young, hungry, cheap players he doesn’t think trading Sprong for, well, a Lucic would be good. The Reaves trade and usage also looks like a communication failure between JR and Sullivan.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'm not so sure that KIRK was joking.

Trading sprong and some low end player isn't going to cut it... this team needs a thunderbolt in the ass... They have to make the real shakeup trade... paul coffey and Mark Recchi to bring in Samuelsson and Tocchet type nuclear move

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Honestly it'd be hard to make the team look worse right now. Almost any trade he makes is going to improve things in the short term I think.

Long term is another question.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Trading sprong and some low end player isn't going to cut it... this team needs a thunderbolt in the ass... They have to make the real shakeup trade... paul coffey and Mark Recchi to bring in Samuelsson and Tocchet type nuclear move

You know, the year before that, Craig Patrick moved out 4 starting defensemen and added 4 different ones (Murphy and Taglianetti in the deal with Minnesota and then Ulfie and Jennings in the deal with Hartford).

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You know, the year before that, Craig Patrick moved out 4 starting defensemen and added 4 different ones (Murphy and Taglianetti in the deal with Minnesota and then Ulfie and Jennings in the deal with Hartford).

Little harder to blow things up like that now with the Cap.

One of the reasons trades are so hard to make mid season is not only do most teams still consider themselves in the hunt but also it's hard to make the numbers work. Accordingly when a trade does finally go through it's not something where JR just picks up the phone and says screw this I've got to eat dinner at 5pm or I'll miss the early bird special. Instead, the trades that do happen are products of weeks of research to make the numbers line up for both teams and make sure the player(s) are a fit.

e: And I'm not pontificating to you btw Kirk. I know you know this.

Reactions: KIRK

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Also, it would help if Sullivan was icing a better line-up(like sit Reaves at least for some games and get Archi in) and if he was putting better line combos.

He's been putting some really bad combos out there lately with many players on off wings and some players like,71 and 72, with negative chemestry.

59-71-81 line was one of our most productive lines before he broke them up, but I understand that he wanted to get the 1st line going and get Guentzel back on there. That line with him, Crosby and Simon looks good. But Sullivan needs to figure out 2nd and 3rd line then and HMK and Sheary-Sheahan-Hornqvist seems like better options than whatever he tried to this point. And 4th line with Archibald-Rowney-Rust seems way more attractive than current line with Reaves and Rust on LW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad