Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Coyotes 2 (OT) - Geno Still Sucks, Just Not As Much With Sheahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Uh...okay?

I never said he was anything more than a 4th liner, I said it was more likely that the team traded Pearson to put ZAR in the top-9 than for them to replace ZAR in the lineup with someone from WBS. My original post was "I think a ZAR-Blueger-Blandisi 4th line next year could be very effective".

I'm like 99% sure you're just arguing this just to argue it, so I'm not going to bother going forward. Me saying "I like the idea of a ZAR-Blueger-Blandisi 4th line" shouldn't warrant an argument against that.

That would be a nice 4th line next year. Definitely worth a look. We have almost all our players back so very little needs to be added next year.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Pearson -Malkin-Kessel
Simon-?—Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Blandisi

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson
Riikola, Oleksiak

Murray
DeSmith

That’s a pretty good start to next summer only needing to add one spot which I think might be fixed in a few weeks. Rutherford has really stabilized this team. How many teams have this much back next season? We could very easily have all spots filled for next year if we make a Center trade like many think we will. Too many productive defenseman though. I see someone getting traded either by the deadline or by the end of the summer.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That would be a nice 4th line next year. Definitely worth a look.

I think the big positive from that line is that it's super cheap more than anything. I'd be surprised for that line to cost more than $2.5 million. The line seems to have components that complement each other well, so I'd be curious to see how it would do. If one of Blandisi or ZAR wouldn't work on that line either (super doubtful with ZAR, but definitely possible with Blandisi), I'd hope they would try guys like DiPauli and Angello there.

I'm hoping they go all youth for depth for next year. No more guys like Cullen (who I fully expect to be re-signed), Sheahan, Grant and Wilson. Just go with guys like ZAR, Dea, Blueger, Blandisi, Angello, DiPauli and such.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I have no idea how you quote yourself literally saying those things and then act like you aren’t lol.

Blandisi - TB - ZAR is a huge question mark for a contender on line 4.

Proposing Pearson be moved so ZAR can be a top nine winger is clearly implying ZAR has the ability to replace Pearson which is also a huge question mark for a contender.

For a 4th line that line would be fine. We are talking 6-10 minutes a night and I am all for giving Blueger a shot. ZAR has proven he can at least be a 4th line player and Blandisi can play those minutes also and if not then someone else will. Not hard to find a grinder 4th line player. Blandisi certainly has the type of game we would look for in a low minute high energy guy that skates well. I can’t see why you wouldn’t want to give that group a 40 game tryout next season.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I missed this game and just saw the highlights. Big f*** yeah to Kessel on that back check. And people want to trade him

Reactions: td_ice

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
For a 4th line that line would be fine. We are talking 6-10 minutes a night and I am all for giving Blueger a shot. ZAR has proven he can at least be a 4th line player and Blandisi can play those minutes also and if not then someone else will. Not hard to find a grinder 4th line player. Blandisi certainly has the type of game we would look for in a low minute high energy guy that skates well. I can’t see why you wouldn’t want to give that group a 40 game tryout next season.

Because I want to win games?

I’m fine with TB and ZAR in the line up next year, but when we have our top nine set I’d rather take a chance on a vet to insulate that line at cheap.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I think the big positive from that line is that it's super cheap more than anything. I'd be surprised for that line to cost more than $2.5 million. The line seems to have components that complement each other well, so I'd be curious to see how it would do. If one of Blandisi or ZAR wouldn't work on that line either (super doubtful with ZAR, but definitely possible with Blandisi), I'd hope they would try guys like DiPauli and Angello there.

I'm hoping they go all youth for depth for next year. No more guys like Cullen (who I fully expect to be re-signed), Sheahan, Grant and Wilson. Just go with guys like ZAR, Dea, Blueger, Blandisi, Angello, DiPauli and such.

I agree with this. We should let players like Blueger get a shot at 4th line minutes. We can always make a deal for a veteran 4th line player at the deadline or before if needed. I personally would love to see those 3 get a shot and like you said if someone is not doing the job bring another young player up.

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Not exactly a very entertaining game last night. A win is a win I guess?

Riikola looked good
Geno was almost engaged
Sid and Phil always seem to connect in OT (that was very similar to their set play during the Johnston days)
Blandisi was pumped, seems to happen to the new guys (remember horny’s first game as a pen? 13 shots I believe)
Odd night for Simon

I want to see what Big Rig can do as a forward while the guys are still hurt. If he doesn’t work out there, he can and should be moved.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Because I want to win games?

I’m fine with TB and ZAR in the line up next year, but when we have our top nine set I’d rather take a chance on a vet to insulate that line at cheap.

I am not worried about winning games. Only thing that matters is playoffs. What is the worst thing that happens? Bad start? That has been the case of the past 3 Cups teams that all had poor first half’s. So if that is the case you make the changes needed at that time. You can find 4th line veterans for pennies at the deadline. I am all for giving some players like Blueger a shot. ZAR is already shown me enough that he can play at least 4th line minutes.

I have no problem starting next year with someone like Blandisi or another player like Angello, Johnson, Wilson, etc. playing that 12th spot. It is not going to make us not win games like you are laughably trying to say. The 12th man is about the last thing that will make a difference in next years season. Let’s not be a drama queen.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I dislike OT penalties resulting in a 4 on 3. It kills the speed and frenzy 3 v 3 gives. It should be 3 on 2 if you get an OT penalty.

I'm all for dad forever being the 4c. If only we could find a way to reverse aging.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I missed this game and just saw the highlights. Big **** yeah to Kessel on that back check. And people want to trade him

images

I mean I am sure that you can dig someone up. But I do not remember even a sizable minority who wanted that.

Reactions: ColePens

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I am not worried about winning games. Only thing that matters is playoffs. What is the worst thing that happens? Bad start? That has been the case of the past 3 Cups teams that all had poor first half’s. So if that is the case you make the changes needed at that time. You can find 4th line veterans for pennies at the deadline. I am all for giving some players like Blueger a shot. ZAR is already shown me enough that he can play at least 4th line minutes.

I have no problem starting next year with someone like Blandisi or another player like Angello, Johnson, Wilson, etc. playing that 12th spot. It is not going to make us not win games like you are laughably trying to say. The 12th man is about the last thing that will make a difference in next years season. Let’s not be a drama queen.

Yeah, but the 12th man isn’t the only young player in the line-up. TB will be a rookie and ZAR is still cutting his teeth.

We likely also get a downgrade at 3C. I prefer to sign a cheap vet fourth line option ala Grant than have Blandisi if the other two players on the 4th line are TB and ZAR or give an actual prospect a try.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
images

I mean I am sure that you can dig someone up. But I do not remember even a sizable minority who wanted that.

A bunch of loons, that's whoo. And no, it's a small minority, but a few people think he's replaceable for some reason.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Not exactly a very entertaining game last night. A win is a win I guess?

Riikola looked good
Geno was almost engaged
Sid and Phil always seem to connect in OT (that was very similar to their set play during the Johnston days)
Blandisi was pumped, seems to happen to the new guys (remember horny’s first game as a pen? 13 shots I believe)
Odd night for Simon

I want to see what Big Rig can do as a forward while the guys are still hurt. If he doesn’t work out there, he can and should be moved.

I want no part of Big Rig experiment as a winger. I think he is going to be traded soon but time will tell. The Pens are soon to be overloaded with defenseman but that can’t hurt for playoffs. To have someone as good as Oleksiak as your 8th defenseman is pretty nice luxury. I believe a defenseman will be traded and it could be almost anyone not Letang or Dumoulin. I think Rutherford feels comfortable with player like Riikola and Pettersson playing in important situations so I could see a deal for a good LW or Center.

I think a defenseman, Brassard, and a pick and or prospect available which is plenty to get someone pretty good. I think someone like Maatta could get a nice winger or good 3rd line center by himself but add to that and you could get a very top end player. Something like Maatta, 1st, Jarry could get a very good player. Brassard would most likely be in a separate deal unless it was a 3 way deal. Anyway you look at it the Pens have plenty of good assets to use without giving up our few good prospects we do have like Hallander and Addison.

Trade scenario such as

Pens: get good LW or good Center
Team B: gets Maatta, 1st
Team C: gets Brassard and something from Team B

I can’t see how those assets don’t get you a really good LW or Center. I seen defenseman no better than Maatta like Larsson get a great winger. Top 4 defenseman are worth much more than wingers. When you add a 1st and the value of Brassard to getting a good player it should not be that hard. Just to clarify I am not saying we are getting a Hall type player but just using that as an example of how defenseman always get good value when it comes to wingers.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah, but the 12th man isn’t the only young player in the line-up. TB will be a rookie and ZAR is still cutting his teeth.

We likely also get a downgrade at 3C. I prefer to sign a cheap vet fourth line option ala Grant than have Blandisi if the other two players on the 4th line are TB and ZAR or give an actual prospect a try.

I have no problem signing a veteran but I would not be worried in the least if we didn’t. Players like Grant are a dime a dozen and you can always get one for very little in assets. It is not like we couldn’t survive or even thrive if we had a 4th line with players like ZAR-TB-Blandisi or some other WBS guy. The lineup the team starts with won’t be the team come playoffs so while I am sure a veteran will be signed I certainly wouldn’t worry if one was not.

Also I think we will get an upgrade in 3C as soon as a few weeks. I bet the 3C spot will be fine. If not it will be at sometime next year. I have faith in Rutherford.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I have no problem signing a veteran but I would not be worried in the least if we didn’t. Players like Grant are a dime a dozen and you can always get one for very little in assets. It is not like we couldn’t survive or even thrive if we had a 4th line with players like ZAR-TB-Blandisi or some other WBS guy. The lineup the team starts with won’t be the team come playoffs so while I am sure a veteran will be signed I certainly wouldn’t worry if one was not.

People said the same thing about Rowney going into last year.

There is a reason TB playing in WBS is a good thing and a reason they pull up Wilson.

This organization knows how to develop. Blandisi - TB - ZAR is too many questionable NHLers on one line. It’s why they brought in Cullen.

Look at how Tampa or Chicago insulated their bottom six the past few years.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
People said the same thing about Rowney going into last year.

There is a reason TB playing in WBS is a good thing and a reason they pull up Wilson.

This organization knows how to develop. Blandisi - TB - ZAR is too many questionable NHLers on one line. It’s why they brought in Cullen.

Look at how Tampa or Chicago insulated their bottom six the past few years.

I don’t think we disagree that most likely the Pens will bring in a veteran or two but like I already said I would also be fine if they started next year with a line like Blandisi-TB-ZAR. Of course we will know a little more about how Blandisi fits that spot this season. Time to find out though if Blueger can make it or not next season. I think we will have a good 3C signed and have a great lineup starting next season. Yes we will have a vet or two but we wouldn’t lose games if we didn’t like you are saying. 4th line will be a very small part of how this team does.

Top 9, top 6 defenseman and goalies will decide how good this team does. 4th liners are a dime a dozen and we can always add those types if needed because players like TB, Blandisi, Angello, and other Pens WBS guys can’t handle 4th line minutes with ZAR.

Pens are in a great spot going into next season with their top 7 scoring forwards all back with only Brassard being the only top 9 back. Pens have top 8 defenseman back and both goaltenders. Most teams would love this start to the summer. If I was a betting man that 3C spot could be set for next year by the deadline. Let’s see what happens but for you to say “want to win games” as we wouldn’t if we had a 4th line of Blandisi-TB-ZAR starting next season is just hyperbole.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Nice! Always see it, never buy it. I know it's not cheap, but I'm assuming it's worth it, correct?
One of the finest beers out there, especially for how readily available it is, delicious and full of dark fruits. Definitely check it out if you have the chance, usually about $20/4pk, although you can find stores that will sell singles or on tap at some bars to try ahead of buying a 4pk.

Reactions: ncm7772
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->