Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Coyotes 2 (OT) - Geno Still Sucks, Just Not As Much With Sheahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
What the hell was Johnson doing out there 3 on 3 and what the hell was that 4 on 3 powerplay. They came up with one single idea and it was Kessel tipping a Crosby point shot after 90 seconds? That was super lucky.

JJ for 3on3 has been a normal thing pretty sure with Tanger, Dumo and him while Schultz has been out.

The pp seemed to be everyone wanted everyone else to move their feet(everyone stationary) until Tanger and Sid decided to have a skate to open things up.
Tanger had a rough night PPQB'ing as well.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I loved the effort, there were no passengers this time, third and fourth line deserved to score but the Coyotes goalie was really good. Crosby was a bit quiet and then came up big in the end, right after I started tearing my hair off because the PP was so lackadaisical on that 4 on 3. I am very happy for Riikola, hopefully this helps convince Sully that he is a lot more useful than Oleksiak.

The standings are ridiculous right now, seven teams in two points, at least Buffalo is dropping like a rock, so this gives a bit of a breathing room in regards to a playoff berth. Not that getting the WC2 spot would be optimal the way Tampa are going but still. :)

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
+Andy Saucier. Lost in the sauce!

Also, enjoy Phil while we can. As annoying as it may seem, he will be traded/dumped when things go bad. Just how it is.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I really believe Brass has requested a trade if it can be arranged. He’s in a UFA year and stuck playing as a third pivot having a down year.

There have been enough signs he’s not happy in his role, from his comments to requesting to play top six wing. If he can get moved to a team where he will be a top six pivot and have a second half resurgence, that will be a huge boon for his FA prospects.

See that Blender didn't play much. How was he?

Didn’t get much ice time. Didn’t do anything to impress me or make me think he blows. Was just sort of there and seemed to be getting knocked around a lot. His biggest moment was a timely change to get Guentzel on the ice to score the second goal.

Actually thought Wilson was better, which isn’t saying much.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I really believe Brass has requested a trade if it can be arranged. He’s in a UFA year and stuck playing as a third pivot having a down year.

There have been enough signs he’s not happy in his role, from his comments to requesting to play top six wing. If he can get moved to a team where he will be a top six pivot and have a second half resurgence, that will be a huge boon for his FA prospects.

Didn’t get much ice time. Didn’t do anything to impress me or make me think he blows. Was just sort of there and seemed to be getting knocked around a lot. His biggest moment was a timely change to get Guentzel on the ice to score the second goal.

Actually thought Wilson was better, which isn’t saying much.

Id imagine the choppy special teams game and his first as a Pen probably limited any chance he had to make an impact but overall just a very neutral game.

As far a your Wilson comment... I was just wondering if it hurt when you said it.;)

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Wilson will be bumped out when healthy, Thank god.

Their love for ZAR overrides their strange love for Wilson.

Only thing I noticed from Blandisi is that he is fast and big.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
See that Blender didn't play much. How was he?

Thought he was okay to good. Showed vision and speed. Busted his ass to get us an interference call. The tenacity part I did not see. He passed up a few hits he could have finished.

Honestly it was one of those first games where some good/some bad showed and that is very typical. Once he gets used to the system and his mates, I think he will be okay.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Id imagine the choppy special teams game and his first as a Pen probably limited any chance he had to make an impact but overall just a very neutral game.

As far a your Wilson comment... I was just wondering if it hurt when you said it.;)

My left eye hasn’t stopped twitching since I posted the comment...

Pretty sure I did some permanent damage.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

There have been enough signs he’s not happy in his role, from his comments to requesting to play top six wing. If he can get moved to a team where he will be a top six pivot and have a second half resurgence, that will be a huge boon for his FA prospects..

Good point and maybe JR already told him he would find him a trade, thus Brassard finally dropped the sulking and is now playing. Makes sense as to his effort last night was 10x stronger than anything I can remember.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Yeah sometimes all you need is to know it will change, and then you just stop sulking and play.

Its a grim comparison but in a lot of suicide cases the person seems their happiest right before. Because the pressure is gone once they decide theyre going to do it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Good point and maybe JR already told him he would find him a trade, thus Brassard finally dropped the sulking and is now playing. Makes sense as to his effort last night was 10x stronger than anything I can remember.

I think Simon was a bigger reason why he looked better TBTH.

Simon is doing a fantastic job supporting his pivots all over the ice and giving them great looks on net. Unfortunately none seem to be finishing for him.

Simon was definitely driving that line, but I’d expect Brass to be the one doing that with his skill set. Hopefully we see that happen tonight.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can't remeber who made the comparison, but I liked the comparison of Blandisi to Archibald that I saw last night. I think a speedy and gritty pest is a great fit for the 4th line RW spot, both this year and beyond. I'm really excited to see what a ZAR-Blueger-Blandisi line looks like next year, I think that can be a very effective line.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I can't remeber who made the comparison, but I liked the comparison of Blandisi to Archibald that I saw last night. I think a speedy and gritty pest is a great fit for the 4th line RW spot, both this year and beyond. I'm really excited to see what a ZAR-Blueger-Blandisi line looks like next year, I think that can be a very effective line.

If Angello keeps playing his game and killing people, along with potting goals like he has, he will knock one of those two wingers out of the lineup at some point.

Angello can skate, he’s mean, can throw, has nice hands, and he’s a monster sized cat.

I’m not sure if he’s a top sixer, but he’s pretty much what they want ZAR to be.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Angello keeps playing his game and killing people, along with potting goals like he has, he will knock one of those two wingers out of the lineup at some point.

Angello can skate, he’s mean, can throw, has nice hands, and he’s a monster sized cat.

I’m not sure if he’s a top sixer, but he’s pretty much what they want ZAR to be.

I imagine it would be Blandisi, because I think it's way more likely that they trade Pearson and promote ZAR to the top-9 than for them to replace ZAR with someone from WBS. I do like Angello though, I really hope he gets called up early next year.

It's funny that some people say the Penguins either don't give young players chances anymore or don't have young players like they had in 2016, I actually think they have even more NHL caliber young players now than they had in 2016. It's just the ones in 2016 played more because their depth was way worse.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I imagine it would be Blandisi, because I think it's way more likely that they trade Pearson and promote ZAR to the top-9 than for them to replace ZAR with someone from WBS. I do like Angello though, I really hope he gets called up early next year.

It's funny that some people say the Penguins either don't give young players chances anymore or don't have young players like they had in 2016, I actually think they have even more NHL caliber young players now than they had in 2016. It's just the ones in 2016 played more because their depth was way worse.

I think your assessment of Blandisi is a little over exaggeration and I’d be surprised if he’s even on our roster in a couple weeks.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I agree with what Pixie said below that Blandisi may not even be on the roster soon.

Pearson is an honest player that isn’t flashy, but does a lot of things the right way. ZAR has a very long way to go to be like him, and I doubt we ever see him reach that far. He’s a fourth line tweener to me and even Sullivan admitted a few weeks ago his offense hasn’t come along yet.

Hopefully a guy like Angello gets in next year and shows them ZAR isn’t who they believe he is. Angello has more grit, better hands (scores most of his goals down low), way more speed, and he’s just a big ass monster with the temperament to match. Again not sure where his potential lies, but I’d be way more comfortable with him as as a top six third wheel, because unlike ZAR, he can control the boards and make nice little plays when needed.

He’s just got everything you want in a third line power fwd type, but it’s almost impossible to figure out what his potential is. I’ve seen a lot of his type flop if I’m being honest, but usually it’s because of their skating, which is a big strength of his.

Last edited:
Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I don't know the last game Geno was 14:3 in scoring chances, 6:1 in high danger chances, 8-2 in the faceoff circle, was credited with 6 shots, probably attempted in total a dozen or so, and looked this strong on his skates.

I just hope at long last THIS TIME it's a sign that he's turning the corner. We'll know in, oh, about 21 hours . . .

Yeah but Blandisi should be with Malkin-Kessel

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think your assessment of Blandisi is a little over exaggeration and I’d be surprised if he’s even on our roster in a couple weeks.

What was really an exaggeration? I just said I thought he could be a useful speedster on the 4th line for next year. I don't see how that's an exaggeration.

He’s a fourth line tweener to me and even Sullivan admitted a few weeks ago his offense hasn’t come along yet.

You've also admitted that you really don't like ZAR in the past, though :dunno:

He has 11 points in 30 games this year, which is a 30 point pace per 82 games. If Sullivan is saying "his offense hasn't come along yet", they're either not actually noticing his production or they have top-6 expectations for him. He had 9 points in the 18 games before getting hurt and was playing some legitimately good hockey. If they're saying his offense hasn't come along yet (which I don't remember hearing), they must have super high expectations for him or they're just dumb. After hearing they were mad about Grant not being physical, I can't rule out the latter.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Big win, that win avoids the possibility of a awful 1-4 road trip.

I'm convinced that somebody from management tells Errey to talk up certain players.

Errey pointed out every little positive thing Brass did last night.

I'v noticed this in the past as well, whoever the whipping boy is for Pens fans Errey would always talk them up on the telecast.

Reactions: ColePens

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What was really an exaggeration? I just said I thought he could be a useful speedster on the 4th line for next year. I don't see how that's an exaggeration.

You've also admitted that you really don't like ZAR in the past, though :dunno:

He has 11 points in 30 games this year, which is a 30 point pace per 82 games. If Sullivan is saying "his offense hasn't come along yet", they're either not actually noticing his production or they have top-6 expectations for him. He had 9 points in the 18 games before getting hurt and was playing some legitimately good hockey. If they're saying his offense hasn't come along yet (which I don't remember hearing), they must have super high expectations for him or they're just dumb. After hearing they were mad about Grant not being physical, I can't rule out the latter.

I think you’re reaching with both Blender and ZAR. Their upside is probably what you are describing. There is also the chance they are Wilson / Archibald.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think you’re reaching with both Blender and ZAR. Their upside is probably what you are describing. There is also the chance they are Wilson / Archibald.

I honestly don't have any clue what you're trying to say here. Where am I reaching with either of them? I said I liked the Archibald comparison for Blandisi, and I think he could be a useful 4th line speedster for next season. What's the reach there? Is this just you being contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian again?

Saying that it's a reach to say that someone with speed and grit can be an asset to a 4th line just screams arguing for the sake of arguing to me. I don't even know where I was describing ZAR's ability or upside in any of my posts, the only comment I had on him was mentioning their unrealistic expectations for him if they weren't satisfied with his production he had recently.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I agree with what Pixie said below that Blandisi may not even be on the roster soon.

Pearson is an honest player that isn’t flashy, but does a lot of things the right way. ZAR has a very long way to go to be like him, and I doubt we ever see him reach that far. He’s a fourth line tweener to me and even Sullivan admitted a few weeks ago his offense hasn’t come along yet.

Hopefully a guy like Angello gets in next year and shows them ZAR isn’t who they believe he is. Angello has more grit, better hands (scores most of his goals down low), way more speed, and he’s just a big ass monster with the temperament to match. Again not sure where his potential lies, but I’d be way more comfortable with him as as a top six third wheel, because unlike ZAR, he can control the boards and make nice little plays when needed.

He’s just got everything you want in a third line power fwd type, but it’s almost impossible to figure out what his potential is. I’ve seen a lot of his type flop if I’m being honest, but usually it’s because of their skating, which is a big strength of his.

I agree with a lot of this, and partially why I think they don't need to trade necessarily for Centers/Wings at all. They have a nice chest of guys who could be placeholders with the big team if you're filling a single spot in the bottom 6 of forwards, and a couple would probably fit higher than that as a 3rd wheel type. The only unfortunate is there is only one guy who seems to be able to be a LW regular, though I think he should be a center for 3c.

Trade Brassard and insert one of these guys.

Teddy Blueger at C.
Adam Johnson at LW/C
Sam Lafferty at C
Filip Hallander at C

Send down Wilson and insert one of these guys.

Ryan Haggerty at RW
Anthony Angello at RW
Adam Johnson at LW/C

There is ample time to get them well acclimated.

Rust started on the 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->