Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Capitals 2 - SAVE US #30

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If I had to think of the positives for Washington, here is what I got:

- They lost leads and 2 home games against Columbus and it didn't matter.
- Last year they lost the first 2 to the Pens and still forced Game 7.
- There were plenty of chances for their offense 5 on 5. Much better 5 on 5 play than against CBJ.
- Holtby was solid for 2 periods, albeit the Pens were more hitting him with pucks as opposed to him getting saves.

Just trying to take a look from a different perspective.

I don’t think they can play better 5 on 5. All their best players had their chances and we looked like dog shit in our own end for much of it.

And unlike last year, they won’t be able to dominate 5 on 5 with Letang back.

I expect each game to be pretty close, but barring some major injury, I’m pretty confident.

Like Kirk said, they have zero killer instinct. They should have piled it on in the third. They know we can score goals at will. Yet, they let us back in the game by not getting that third or fourth goal.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
We could do a lot worse than Sheary and Simon.

Like say.. Vrana and Chiasson lol.

Vrana looked good in the Cbus series...like I thought he was gonna start scoring a bunch. Seemed like a threat every time he stepped on the ice

Last night he was invisible

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
I think it’d be a mistake for WSH to go to Grub even if they lose game 2. The Pens are just the best team in a very long time at generating really dangerous scoring chances and they have hall of fame finishers to go along with it. Any goalie you throw in there is at risk of playing well and still giving up 5 goals. It’s just a really unique challenge that this team presents.

I don’t really think the Pens have a “mental” edge on Holtby any more than any other goalie they’ll face enough times to figure out. A lot of these goals that WSH fans interpret as bad goals are just intentional sneaky shots taken by elite finishers.

Reactions: tom_servo

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Rather just have Jooris/Rowney/Kuhn as our 4th line at this point. ZAR has to sit for a few. The game is too fast for him right now, let him watch and learn for a few games. Then get him back in there.

I never expect anything good from Rowney, but he's been better than ZAR. I absolutely agree with you. ZAR is literally doing nothing.

took a lurk over to the Caps board. Such classy fans hoping that Wilson KO's Hornqvist

Perfect example of why I get physically ill when people tell me they feel bad for Caps fans.

There is a real possibility this could be a sweep.

I highly doubt that is going to happen. I think it's close to impossible but man, how sweet would that be?

Vrana looked good in the Cbus series...like I thought he was gonna start scoring a bunch. Seemed like a threat every time he stepped on the ice

Last night he was invisible

Thought the same thing.

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
BUT TRotz is basically fired if he loses this series right? he will get desperate and hope the change rally's them much like the switch to Holtby did the previous series....

I dont think it will be a good idea but it may steal them a game while we adjust... (if we win on sunday, that is)
I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t think this team would have to make any adjustments if Grubauer were in net.

Agreed on Trotz, btw. But I do think he should have been gone after last year, when he was given all the tools a coach should need. If the Caps lose this year, it’s because they don’t have the roster to win.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We could do a lot worse than Sheary and Simon.

Like say.. Vrana and Chiasson lol.

I’m happy with both, for now, but Sheary going dry during the playoffs is happening yet again.

He’s the only top nine guy without a goal...

He more than anyone needs to start potting some goals. He usually gets 1-2 glorious looks a game and he has to find a way to get them in.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
As bad as the defense has looked, they have managed to only give up 17 goals in 7 games so far. Not exactly shutdown numbers, but not sieve numbers either.

People romanticize the cup teams, especially 17. They were pretty poor on defense. Just look at the playoff roster. The hallmark of the back to back cup wins was Murray being a moose (Fleury too, in 17) and the offense scoring in bunches. Add in that Sullivan discipline and you have a winning forumla.

They have looked pretty good in the playoffs so far. Not saying they can do it again, but they have as good of a shot as any remaining team.

Edit: especially with the way Sid and Jake have been going supernova.

Last edited:
Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I love Simon’s game, but I know he has to start finishing. Like I said, he keeps creating these chances for himself, so odds say they will go in at some point... but then I think how many chances Sheary creates and I feel sad.

Yeah, but at least Simon can keep on his feet for a shift at a time.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
As bad as the defense has looked, they have managed to only give up 17 goals in 7 games so far. Not exactly shutdown numbers, but not sieve numbers either.

People romanticize the cup teams, especially 17. They were pretty poor on defense. Just look at the playoff roster. The hallmark of the back to back cup wins was Murray being a moose (Fleury too, in 17) and the offense scoring in bunches. Add in that Sullivan discipline and you have a winning forumla.

They have looked pretty good in the playoffs so far. Not saying they can do it again, but they have as good of a shot as any remaining team.

Edit: especially with the way Sid and Jake have been going supernova.

17 goals against in 7 games is a GAA of 2.4. That’s amazing for this team.

If we keep that up we’d pretty much win the cup. Even 2.7 or 2.8 and under we’d be a really really strong contender. When it pushes up to 3 and over is when we’d be in some trouble and luck starts to become a way bigger factor.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
took a lurk over to the Caps board. Such classy fans hoping that Wilson KO's Hornqvist

Like i said before, Caps fans are bunch of red necks piece of shits, these are the same people that cheered for and were happy when Nisky hurt Crosby last year..... f*** them and f*** any pens fans that roots for caps to win the cup....

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

tenor.gif

cc: @ColePens

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
one last thing, Kessel needs to shoot more.... i heard a stat where they said kessel only had like 10 shots in 6 games against the Flyers...that's just awful for a guy who has a top 3 wrister in the NHL..

I'm pretty sure the last time Kessel pretty much refused to shoot was when his wrist was all banged up...

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Some guy on their board gave the most hilarious explanation of the city of Pittsburgh and how it's "fine". Nothing to distinguish itself from other nearby cities...

Yeah, I guess we can all take our world-class universities, healthcare research, museums, architecture, museums and unique neighborhoods and go f*** ourselves

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
17 goals against in 7 games is a GAA of 2.4. That’s amazing for this team.

If we keep that up we’d pretty much win the cup. Even 2.7 or 2.8 and under we’d be a really really strong contender. When it pushes up to 3 and over is when we’d be in some trouble and luck starts to become a way bigger factor.

Ah, no we won’t because Vegas’ goals against is like .5 of a goal....

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Some guy on their board gave the most hilarious explanation of the city of Pittsburgh and how it's "fine". Nothing to distinguish itself from other nearby cities...

Yeah, I guess we can all take our world-class universities, healthcare research, museums, architecture, museums and unique neighborhoods and go **** ourselves

NM, I must still be drunk and forgot who we were playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->