Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Capitals 2 - SAVE US #30

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Unlike ZAR he keeps creating these chances for himself, so hopefully his luck will change. If he could find his scoring touch from a couple yrs ago that would make this team even more dangerous and difficult to defend.

I’ll take just one of Simon or Sheary finding their long lost scoring touch, I’m not a greedy person...

I really liked your boy Simon with Sheahan and Kessel. I also really liked seeing Phil be the driver of his line again. That was as good as he's looked in a long time. As a believer in 'lines', I credit Simon in part. How he was playing, how Sheahan was playing, how they were playing together . . . all of that factored in to Phil really elevating his game.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
i didn't like the 2 he gave up but MM made 4 or 5 just stupodly good saves and held them to 2. came up big when we needed him.

Point blank to Ovy and point blank to Kuzy. Oh okay. What the **** do you want him to do? Jesus.

Jeebus is right. Snipe on that breakaway by Kuzy (who is an incredible player, mind you), gorgeous shot. Absolute perfection on a shot by Ovechkin (the greatest goal scorer of this generation and possibly of all time) on a 2-on-1, nonetheless. I mean sure, you never like him to give up any goal, but if you're actually blaming him for those goals, I don't know what to tell you.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm going to wait a few games until I start talking about Trotz being fired or Holtby / Caps being headcases. It's one game. There is still A LOT of hockey to be played.

There is.

BUT, until proven otherwise, that team has NO killer instinct.

Ovi scored, and I was waiting for them to dial it up further. Instead, they went into a victory dance . . . while the Pens dialed it up to 11.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Holtby is going to be a mess next game... he has to know he is probably 1 or 2 bad goals from losing the net again....

I'm surprised they didn't start Grubauer.

WSH should start Grubs to throw us off...I think...

Our fourth line is kind of hilarious on the offfensive side. Their instincts are so bad it ends up reminding me of watch the computer play the computer in a video game. Because honestly, I don't think the caps know exactly what to do with it either.

Yes. The inconsistent team is actually a strategy by Sully. He is the ultimate troll. You can't gameplan against the Pens because the Pens don't even know what they're gonna do any given game. You can't out-system pure chaos. It's f***ing brilliant and although I'm half kidding...it might be true.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
WSH should start Grubs to throw us off...I think...

That's the wild card in the series on the Caps side, it's the only lever they can pull to change the dynamic. I am relying on old-school Trotz to just keep sending Holtby out there until it's too late though. If it was my call, I would send Grubauer out there Sunday, but I can't see Trotz doing that.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm going to wait a few games until I start talking about Trotz being fired or Holtby / Caps being headcases. It's one game. There is still A LOT of hockey to be played.

They’ve played seven games this playoffs and blown a 2 - 0 lead to lose three of those.

They were better than a Torts Columbus squad that basically has two game changers and a goalie that lets in 3+ Goals a game.

We aren’t that squad even without Malkin and Hags.

There is a real possibility this could be a sweep.

Reactions: EightyOne

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I really liked your boy Simon with Sheahan and Kessel. I also really liked seeing Phil be the driver of his line again. That was as good as he's looked in a long time. As a believer in 'lines', I credit Simon in part. How he was playing, how Sheahan was playing, how they were playing together . . . all of that factored in to Phil really elevating his game.

I love Simon’s game, but I know he has to start finishing. Like I said, he keeps creating these chances for himself, so odds say they will go in at some point... but then I think how many chances Sheary creates and I feel sad.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I love Simon’s game, but I know he has to start finishing. Like I said, he keeps creating these chances for himself, so odds say they will go in at some point... but then I think how many chances Sheary creates and I feel sad.

There’s a reason this guy spent three years in the AHL...just saying....he’s fine on the fourth line, not impressed as a top 9 winger

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

In that 1st period he had 3 fantastic scoring chances, yes 1 went off the post but I agree he needs to find the back of the net.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If I had to think of the positives for Washington, here is what I got:

- They lost leads and 2 home games against Columbus and it didn't matter.
- Last year they lost the first 2 to the Pens and still forced Game 7.
- There were plenty of chances for their offense 5 on 5. Much better 5 on 5 play than against CBJ.
- Holtby was solid for 2 periods, albeit the Pens were more hitting him with pucks as opposed to him getting saves.

Just trying to take a look from a different perspective.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
Tom Wilson ought to be booted out of the league the next time he boards a guy, btw... its an epidemic with him, and the caps cry so hard when he actually gets penalized for it... He has talent and doesnt need to do that stuff too... he is just a POS. I would love to see a game we are up huge and Big Rig can just destroy him.... few deserve that... he does....
Yup.
Wilson is actually a solid player -- I can't stand how he's always crossing the line with his hits though...

Reactions: thegr8one66

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
There’s a reason this guy spent three years in the AHL...just saying....he’s fine on the fourth line, not impressed as a top 9 winger

I think it's great experience, but ya missing that extra year in the AHL
hopefully he starts putting those chances in the back of the net. Definitely would boost his confidence

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Simon is a really interesting player, in my opinion. He has Sheary-like offensive upside. He has an underrated shot, is shifty, and creates. His defensive skills are equal to Sheary's w/ less speed on the backcheck. I think from the red line back to the goal line, he has a lot left to desire.

Is my assessment correct?

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I think he’s impressed, and he clearly makes his linemates better with his creativity, but you have to finish your chances. Sheary gets away with it because he’s fast and coaches give those kind of players more leeway. Simon isn’t a burner so, just how it is.

Simon is a really interesting player, in my opinion. He has Sheary-like offensive upside. He has an underrated shot, is shifty, and creates. His defensive skills are equal to Sheary's w/ less speed on the backcheck. I think from the red line back to the goal line, he has a lot left to desire.

Is my assessment correct?

Simon is more creative and a way better stickhandler, but Sheary’s speed is a desirable asset that gives him chance after chance with Sullivan. I always said if you gave Simon Sheary’s speed, he would have been a first rounder.

I was pretty happy with Sheary’s defense last night, which usually isn’t the case.

Hoping one of these two starts finding the back of the net... especially Sheary, because it looks like we are getting playoff Sheary again and that’s not a good thing.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If I had to think of the positives for Washington, here is what I got:

- They lost leads and 2 home games against Columbus and it didn't matter.
- Last year they lost the first 2 to the Pens and still forced Game 7.
- There were plenty of chances for their offense 5 on 5. Much better 5 on 5 play than against CBJ.
- Holtby was solid for 2 periods, albeit the Pens were more hitting him with pucks as opposed to him getting saves.

Just trying to take a look from a different perspective.

Every year is different.

Yes the Caps rallied from down 2 to 0 at home however that may have been their strongest team ever. Much stronger on paper than this team. Also the Caps again made the mistake of chasing the Pens for big hits getting out of position and it costing them. By the time that they adjusted it was too late.

This year? I think that they simply do not have as many guns and lack the depth even worse than last year.

What adjustments can they make?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Hes way more poised than Sheary tho. And more of a playmaker , being a center in the past. Hes shown some flashes of that potential...just needs to reach it now. Still only 23. With this team being as deep as it is tho, he likely wont get more than 2 years to prove it.

We have many more coming up, who could pan out. With not many spots open. Sheary and Rowney should be two spots that open up next year.

William I NEGLE

Mar 30, 2018
What adjustments can they make?

None. Zip.

We all saw the shot from the dot to a wide open net that Ovi missed - it was like a golfer's shank, or throwing a gutter ball. These guys are all wound up like a rubber band and when something goes wrong, they unravel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad