Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Capitals 2 (OT) - They DESERVED That Outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Jarry also had the nice OT assist. He sprung that 2 on 1.

2BBSyu2.png

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Even with how much people have complained about the Penguins so far this year, they're still on pace for 101 points over an 82 game schedule and are 5-1 since Hextall was named GM.
All of that by playing in a toughest division in hockey, facing multiple injuries, not having a goaltending for the first month of a season and not facing Devils or Sabres yet. They must be doing something right. And they surely are doing something right. Marino is +10 in his last 10, he is playing fantastic hockey for us after a very iffy start, I really feel like our success is connected to him turning his performance around heavily.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
All of that by playing in a toughest division in hockey, facing multiple injuries, not having a goaltending for the first month of a season and not facing Devils or Sabres yet. They must be doing something right. And they surely are doing something right. Marino is +10 in his last 10, he is playing fantastic hockey for us after a very iffy start, I really feel like our success is connected to him turning his performance around heavily.

Hard to argue its the toughest division over Central though...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Teddy is on pace for 53 points over 82 games. That's really damned solid for what he brings.

He's been a revelation this year. I knew he was good from watching him last year but he's really blossoming into a good third line center. Borderline low end 2c even if he can maintain a scoring touch.

That’s with 25% O zone starts too. I imagine you don’t see that production with that number too often

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Did we finally draft and develop our longterm 3C? Feels good man.

And in the 2nd round!

I blame @Randy Butternubs for sending us down the Anne Hathaway rabbit hole

I actually think it was @Zirakzigil that really got things rolling on the AH gifs.

I wanna go back in the history of my posts. I f***ing called it that Blueger was gonna make it when we drafted him.

He was drafted in 2012 and you joined in 2014, though.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
GMs have more tools than just trades, you know? :dunno:

Without us knowing I think it would be fair to give credit to the GMs AND the person people are refusing to give a little credit to - Sully. Hell maybe even TR. That powerplay shaped the f*** up in a big way with movement and shooting.

And hats off to guys like Letang who have been good lately. Marino makes some errors but his skating is out of this world.

I see people fighting over who to give credit to. :laugh: It's f***ing hockey. Hats off all around. I hope it stays like this so we can enjoy the year and fight for a Cup. It gets harder every year, but dammit even in the X-Gen years I said "Oh if they just get lucky! Maybe there's a chance" damn well knowing there was no change. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Eh I don't think Marino has played "fantastic hockey" for them recently. It's way better than what it was at the start of the year, but he's still a slightly negative analytically over that 10 game window.

But then again, those analytics also say that Ceci has been godly in the last 10 games, to the point of being far and away the best Penguins player analytically. In fact, Ceci's xGF%rel is 15th in hockey over the last 10 games, with McDavid being 14th and Pastrnak being 16th. So I don't know if you can judge players based on that alone :laugh:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Eh I don't think Marino has played "fantastic hockey" for them recently. It's way better than what it was at the start of the year, but he's still a slightly negative analytically over that 10 game window.

But then again, those analytics also say that Ceci has been godly in the last 10 games, to the point of being far and away the best Penguins player analytically. In fact, Ceci's xGF%rel is 15th in hockey over the last 10 games, with McDavid being 14th and Pastrnak being 16th. So I don't know if you can judge players based on that alone :laugh:
Advanced stats are not everything tho. They indicate a lot but in this game it was Marino being the best player on the ice. He really is playing flawless hockey now, almost mistake-free, logging heavy minutes, defending like a man possessed (saw that vs Barzal where analytics were not ideal but he gave him a hard time anyway), making clean breakouts and good decisions. Eye-test is still more than analytics to me and I was paying close attention to Marino this game especially. He was fantastic in everything, especially once in the defensive zone.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
We were very lucky against the Isles on Saturday, this time a bit unlucky, it happens. But if we can keep playing like that, we will make the playoffs easily. Malkin with one of those weird games where he plays great but is minus 2, whatever line Kapanen is on just doesn't get scored against somehow. Too bad about Zucker's injury, he wasn't doing so great but it's not like we have any better wingers to put on line 2. And those last two goals were beautiful.

Oshie and Ovi looked like they are at least 5 years older than Geno, I hope this continues. :)

Big minus for the commentators praising Lafferty like he is something to write home about and not a fringe NHL-er.

Reactions: vodeni

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Big minus for the commentators praising Lafferty like he is something to write home about and not a fringe NHL-er.
One thing I'll say about Laff is that he may have the hardest wrist shot on the team. Up there with McCann and Zuck.

Doesn't lead to goals of course, but it's there! :laugh:

And to his credit he did land 2 really strong ones yesterday. Goalie had to be really sharp.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Without us knowing I think it would be fair to give credit to the GMs AND the person people are refusing to give a little credit to - Sully. Hell maybe even TR. That powerplay shaped the f*** up in a big way with movement and shooting.

And hats off to guys like Letang who have been good lately. Marino makes some errors but his skating is out of this world.

I see people fighting over who to give credit to. :laugh: It's f***ing hockey. Hats off all around. I hope it stays like this so we can enjoy the year and fight for a Cup. It gets harder every year, but dammit even in the X-Gen years I said "Oh if they just get lucky! Maybe there's a chance" damn well knowing there was no change. :laugh:
What does @Tender Rip have to do with this?

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
We were very lucky against the Isles on Saturday, this time a bit unlucky, it happens. But if we can keep playing like that, we will make the playoffs easily. Malkin with one of those weird games where he plays great but is minus 2, whatever line Kapanen is on just doesn't get scored against somehow. Too bad about Zucker's injury, he wasn't doing so great but it's not like we have any better wingers to put on line 2. And those last two goals were beautiful.

Oshie and Ovi looked like they are at least 5 years older than Geno, I hope this continues. :)

It´s good to be unlucky in a game where you still get 2 points tho. We deserved nothing vs the Isles and got 2. This time we very much deserved 2 and still got it. The only sliiight minus is that we gave the Caps one point but I don´t really care about it, we are better than them.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
A few thoughts about the game and season so far:

Zucker's fall looks very much like one I took about a decade ago. The damage for me was caused by my foot being twisted underneath me and ended up pointing at the back of my head by twisting the "wrong" way. (think of sitting on your foot, now rotate your toes down and keep rotating until your toes point straight back and then lean back on it, but all of this very violent and fast) if that was they way his leg/foot went, that's going to be a bad one. Side note on him, he's been working hard all season. Some games have been good, others have been poor decision laden but as far as effort is concerned I think he is one of the bright spots all year.

+++Geno looked like he was feeling it for the first time all season. I think the might be the most confidence based player I've ever seen. When he fails a slick move, he spends the rest of the game second guessing himself and nothing works and he ends up forcing plays and creating bad turnovers. This game, that goal gave him a ton of confidence and he was back to trying and completing some very slick stuff. Will be interesting to see if he starts believing in himself again, if he does, he will be back in a big way.

Matheson has been far better than expected and adds a much needed "pace" to the d-core. Sample size matters, but he is slowly alleviating my "WTF were you thinking JR?" mentality. That said, that first goal is 100% him. I think he would be the first one to tell you he played that wrong and should have just forced the guy behind the net instead of going for a half puck/half body play and getting out muscled. I'm excited to see how he develops in an organization that seems to be giving him a chance to redeem himself.

POJ most unexpected attribute for me has been his confidence. I didn't expect him to show up and act like he's been here for years. However, with health returning to the blue line, I agree that his minutes should be regressed to a more reasonable level. Depending on how he does with that, make decisions after based on his play and progression.

Blueger is as solid of a 3C as team could ask for. I'm with @UgeneMalkin though, I'm not prepared to anoint him more than that. Maybe he will be, but I don't think he is... yet.

Sid/Jake are the best example of time off/lack of practice affecting play. Their timing wasn't their early and Sid looked pretty bad because of it. Jake always looks good because he plays such a smart game but Sid's ability to do things at speed that the other team can't defend is what makes the line so dominant IMO. Now that their timing is back, they look dangerous every game if not every shift.

Letang is the player that intrigues me this year. I feel like he is realizing he needs to be a bit more deliberate in his risk taking. He's always going to have one or two amazingly brain dead decisions per game but you know Le'good with Le'bad. That said I feel like his schtick of trying to do too much for an entire game is more tempered than it has been in the past. I would be curious to hear other's thoughts on that.

I could go on for everyone but it's already a wall of text. Thanks for giving me a place to compare my perceptions even if I often don't agree with the recency bias that I feel a majority here are affected by. Back to lurking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->