Salary Cap: Penguins 2013-14 cap/roster building discussion (Contract chart in Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YeeYee

Mar 3, 2011
Illinois
I don't see Megna getting $1m not do I see Despres getting $3m.

$850k and $2.25m are more likely I'd guess.

Is this true? I always figured Despres to be between 1.0m-1.5m, im not great with that kind of thing though. what do people see him and sutter's cap hit being next year?

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Is this true? I always figured Despres to be between 1.0m-1.5m, im not great with that kind of thing though. what do people see him and sutter's cap hit being next year?

If he stays up the rest of the year and is a regular in the playoffs I could see him topping $2 mil easily. That said, it's far from a given that either of those will happen.

khaoskennedy

Aug 6, 2010
Western, PA
it seems very unlikely Despres gets over 2 mil, unless he plays amazing the rest of the year(in the NHL which isnt likely), or is signed for many years, which is also unlikely.
I'd guess, at this point, a 2 year, 1-1.5 mil deal is more likely. or maybe even cheaper if he is in WBS the rest of this season.

khaoskennedy

Aug 6, 2010
Western, PA

for Sutter, i don't see him getting more than 3 mil, he is fine defensively and doesn't light the world on fire offensively (on pace for 28 points)

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If I were GM, no question Orpik is not back. I have to find room to play Despres, Matta and Bortuzzo. That leaves Scuderi and Letang. Martin I believe can be replaced with Matta and the question is Nisky. Pens still need RH shot even with Bortuzzo. My seven includes Dumoulin. While at 71 million the cap is not tight, the Pens need to play the younger D. Martin to me is a luxury at 5 million since Matta I believe can not only replace him, but be better. With Bylsma and Shero, it will never happen.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Devin Setoguchi ($3.000m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Jayson Megna ($0.874m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.500m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Brian Gibbons ($0.605m) / Joe Vitale ($0.750m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)
Zach Sill ($0.605m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Simon Despres ($1.750m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,934,958; BONUSES: $68,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,165,042

Gave Vokoun an extra year, $1.5m. Enough space to get a back-up if not.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
FORWARDS
Zach Sill ($0.605m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($1.500m)
------

Not bad, and I really think that D would be awesome, just not sure Setoguchi is that much of an upgrade over Dupuis. I'd also take Sill over either of those fourth line wings. Preferably Adams, but Gibbons is just not a fourth line guy either. Also wouldn't mind Engelland staying since he fits a unique roll of both 7D and 13F. However, neither Adams gone nor Engel sitting will ever happen, so this is all fantasy land.

khaoskennedy

Aug 6, 2010
Western, PA
I'm gonna post this just for the fun of it, even thought it will never happen lol

was mentioning to my friend bout picking up Ott & Kulemin, and he wondered if we could afford to keep Jokinen as well. so i tried it to see if it COULD work.

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Steve Ott ($3.500m) / Jussi Jokinen ($2.500m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Jayson Megna ($0.875m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.500m) / Joe Vitale ($0.650m)
Zach Sill ($0.605m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Simon Despres ($0.900m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.800m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,599,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $500,833

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I do think that our bottom 6 needs to get bigger/tougher. We'd also need a winger who could fill in as a center, seeing as how our top 2 love to get injured. That's the main reason I like having Jokinen on this team.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Not bad, and I really think that D would be awesome, just not sure Setoguchi is that much of an upgrade over Dupuis. I'd also take Sill over either of those fourth line wings. Preferably Adams, but Gibbons is just not a fourth line guy either. Also wouldn't mind Engelland staying since he fits a unique roll of both 7D and 13F. However, neither Adams gone nor Engel sitting will ever happen, so this is all fantasy land.

The best thing about that though is that if we could/wanted to then we could trade Letang for Eberle and play him in the 1RW instead of Setoguchi which would also mean we could have Engelland as a 7D, 13F guy.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I do think that our bottom 6 needs to get bigger/tougher. We'd also need a winger who could fill in as a center, seeing as how our top 2 love to get injured. That's the main reason I like having Jokinen on this team.

I agree... however if he's not playing with Malkin, then he doesnt' really belong on the 3rd line, and gets kind of lost. I'd love to have him... I'm just not to sure where exactly he fits in. Also... look at the improvement to that line once Neal came back. Malkin and Jokinen didn't accomplish all that much.

FORWARDS
Zach Sill ($0.605m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($1.500m)
------

I'd love to see someone like Seto here - at least on a short term to see how he works out. He doesn't need to light things up... I'd be happy with 25g/50pts. But if we're only bringing in someone like him... I'd expect more money spent on the 3rd line. I don't mind Megna... but I want more. Someone who's bigger, rougher and generally harder to play against. Ott or Kulemin would be great. :)

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I agree... however if he's not playing with Malkin, then he doesnt' really belong on the 3rd line, and gets kind of lost. I'd love to have him... I'm just not to sure where exactly he fits in. Also... look at the improvement to that line once Neal came back. Malkin and Jokinen didn't accomplish all that much.

I like Jokinen for this season, but not for next. I should make a list of C/W.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I like Jokinen for this season, but not for next. I should make a list of C/W.

Unfortunately it's small.

Vanek, Seto, Moulson, Gaborik, Heatley, Cammalleri, Gionta, Hemsky, Michalek, Callahan, Roy, Steen, Vrbata, Grabovsky, Jokinen, Kulemin, Downie, Stempniak, Penner.

There's also guys like Stastny, Thornton, Marleau, Iginla, Whitney, etc, however I don't really see any chance that they end up here.

Of those above... I wouldn't mind almost any two of them. Other than perhaps Heatley, Stempniak and Penner. Heatley wouldn't be bad if he was cheap... however I don't think he has the speed to play with Sid, and I don't want him as the 3rd wheel on Malkin/Neals line. Vanek will almost certainly cost too much.

Ideally we could get someone like Kulemin and someone like Moulson/Seto/Cammalleri. I wouldn't mind Downie either... however I don't think he can stay healthy enough to be worth it.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Moulson would be nice, but he will be very pricy. The Islanders made a bad move imo by trading him, it has not worked for them at all. As far as the rest of the group goes, Penner would be a player that could help, but I doubt that he will leave California at this stage of his career. No chance Callahan leaves the Rangers!

With the cap going up next season, the Pens need to upgrade the bottom 6 for sure to be a contender. So I´m thinking maybe a guy like Moulson for the Top 6 (I know he is not very fast) and put Dupuis on the 3rd line (I know, I know, coaching).

It will be interesting to see what will happen on D. I believe Orpik will get a new contract and I hope Niskanen will be let go, maybe even in a trade during THIS season.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
We should not want Moulson. The only thing he has going for him is his shot. Islanders fans were getting frustrated with him during the end of his time there, and for good reason.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Moulson would be nice, but he will be very pricy. The Islanders made a bad move imo by trading him, it has not worked for them at all. As far as the rest of the group goes, Penner would be a player that could help, but I doubt that he will leave California at this stage of his career. No chance Callahan leaves the Rangers!

With the cap going up next season, the Pens need to upgrade the bottom 6 for sure to be a contender. So I´m thinking maybe a guy like Moulson for the Top 6 (I know he is not very fast) and put Dupuis on the 3rd line (I know, I know, coaching).

It will be interesting to see what will happen on D. I believe Orpik will get a new contract and I hope Niskanen will be let go, maybe even in a trade during THIS season.

With how consistent he was between Edmonton, LA and Anaheim, I hope there's no chance that we look into Penner. As for Orpik... I could see it either way. Either re-signed due to his long tenor here... or allowed to walk. As much as I'd like to see him traded (from an asset management point of view), there's almost no chance of that happening during the season. Nisky... yes, I could see him moved for help up front. However that's likely more of a cap causality, then asset management. Shero has almost certainly had the chance to move him the last few years... where as he choose to move prospects/picks over him.

We should not want Moulson. The only thing he has going for him is his shot. Islanders fans were getting frustrated with him during the end of his time there, and for good reason.

So he's like a Neal lite, where he creates little, and is just a trigger man?

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
Unfortunately it's small.

Vanek, Seto, Moulson, Gaborik, Heatley, Cammalleri, Gionta, Hemsky, Michalek, Callahan, Roy, Steen, Vrbata, Grabovsky, Jokinen, Kulemin, Downie, Stempniak, Penner.

There's also guys like Stastny, Thornton, Marleau, Iginla, Whitney, etc, however I don't really see any chance that they end up here.

Of those above... I wouldn't mind almost any two of them. Other than perhaps Heatley, Stempniak and Penner. Heatley wouldn't be bad if he was cheap... however I don't think he has the speed to play with Sid, and I don't want him as the 3rd wheel on Malkin/Neals line. Vanek will almost certainly cost too much.

Ideally we could get someone like Kulemin and someone like Moulson/Seto/Cammalleri. I wouldn't mind Downie either... however I don't think he can stay healthy enough to be worth it.

Yeah, the free agent market is fairly barren for next year, even more so on defense. I wouldn't touch Heatley though and I have doubts about Seto if he was dealt by the Wild and then let go by the Jets in a year's time. Michalek is probably the best of those, although as much as I'd hate to say it, we need some toughness and agitation that Downey brings.

I don't want any stop-gaps with players like Whitney either; they've wasted enough time and assets on those types.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Despres = 3 million.... Yeah, NO!
He has hardly made himself a regular, although not necessarily his fault, he hasn't put up a ton of points or played huge minutes, he has no arbitration rights and we can qualify him for about a million. If it is a multi year deal, of course we'd have to make the contract bigger, but both the Pens and Despres have an interest in keeping it fairly short to see what we have there. Perhaps two years at 1.4 or something.
Megna, unless he puts up a lot of points, will he thrilled with any one-way deal he was to get I think.

These guys will not be problems.

Next year Bennett should be given the first line spot from the off, just because.
Kulemin for Malkin's wing plus a big, tough bottom 6 winger and then trust the kids for the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
So he's like a Neal lite, where he creates little, and is just a trigger man?

I think he's a little different to Neal, he scores from much closer and is excellent at picking up rebounds and theN finding the net. I don't see him as a great fit for the Pens, he's soft, slow, not especially gifted in other offensive areas or defensively. I don't see him as a fit for Crosby and he's redundant on a line with Malkin-Neal. It's pretty slim pickings if you look at players who are currently out of the playoffs:

Gabroik (too expensive)
Vanek (too expensive)
Cammalleri (a little small but could fit)
Hemsky (might fit, soft and injury prone though)
Whitney (age, has NTC, would he find his way onto the top PP unit?)
Michalek (not having a good year but would provide size and speed)
Moulson (Don't see him as a fit)
Setoguchi (has a good shot, not sure how much he'd contribute elsewhere)
Ott (just what the bottom 6 needs)
Stempniak (Bargain basement)

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
I want to see a Greiss-like backup here next year. Or Greiss himself. Cheap and reliable backup option maybe even with a little bit of upside left in him.
In any case, the Fleury situation should have resolved itself next year, one way or the other. If we need a proven, playoff-experienced backup that can be a regular starter if the need arises as a security net for MAF, then there's no reason to keep MAF in the first place. Either we trust him to get the job done after these playoffs or he has to be gone.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't have much faith in this team bringing in a quality free agent unless its a slam dunk scenario like Scuds. Kule could be that, but Id still like to see if we could trade for him and sign him before he hits free agency.

We're pretty good at signing guys we want after we trade for them.

Last edited:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Despres = 3 million.... Yeah, NO!
He has hardly made himself a regular, although not necessarily his fault, he hasn't put up a ton of points or played huge minutes, he has no arbitration rights and we can qualify him for about a million. If it is a multi year deal, of course we'd have to make the contract bigger, but both the Pens and Despres have an interest in keeping it fairly short to see what we have there. Perhaps two years at 1.4 or something.
Megna, unless he puts up a lot of points, will he thrilled with any one-way deal he was to get I think.

These guys will not be problems.

Next year Bennett should be given the first line spot from the off, just because.
Kulemin for Malkin's wing plus a big, tough bottom 6 winger and then trust the kids for the rest.

Despres should be no where near 3 million. And his next contract should be a bridge one, 2 years and then take it from there

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, the free agent market is fairly barren for next year, even more so on defense. I wouldn't touch Heatley though and I have doubts about Seto if he was dealt by the Wild and then let go by the Jets in a year's time. Michalek is probably the best of those, although as much as I'd hate to say it, we need some toughness and agitation that Downey brings.

IF (and this is a big IF), Heatley was picked up on a cheap 1 yr deal with the intention of playing him on Malkins RW, and putting Kunitz/Kulemin (someone with some speed to dig the pucks out of the corner), and moving Neal to Crosby's wing, I wouldn't be upset. However I'd want this as a last resort.

Seto... He hasn't played with a true playmaker since Thornton. While he was a cheap pickup in Winnipeg, I never really thought he'd be a fit there.

Michalek... I wouldn't be upset with him... but he wouldn't be my first target. He'll cost at least 5m over 2-4 years. That's an expensive contract when he's somewhat injury prone, and a so-so top 6 player.

Downey, meh. Injury issues. Perhaps as a last resort... but I'd hope there's other players that are targeted first.

Gabroik (too expensive)
Vanek (too expensive)
Cammalleri (a little small but could fit)
Hemsky (might fit, soft and injury prone though)
Whitney (age, has NTC, would he find his way onto the top PP unit?)
Michalek (not having a good year but would provide size and speed)
Moulson (Don't see him as a fit)
Setoguchi (has a good shot, not sure how much he'd contribute elsewhere)
Ott (just what the bottom 6 needs)
Stempniak (Bargain basement)

Hemsky - how do you define soft? He's not physical, but he will take a hit to play the puck. Honestly I think he gets a bad rep (and he's not playing the best right now). But for the right price I'd take him.

Seto, he has speed (or he did a few year ago) and would lay the body. He also has that RHS that we don't have, and he does know how to shoot.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
People keep talking about the cap being a driving force for ridiculous salaries, UFA or otherwise, in the offseason. I think that people forget that the floor may be a bigger driving force. Every team will be looking to spend every cent of that increase, the cap teams obviously, but the floor teams will have to as well.

The opportunities could be extremely limited, as we have a lot of money to spend, but no one worth much left to spend it on. I hope that I am wrong.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
What do people think Vitale will get in free agency? And what do we think is the likelihood of him staying here? I could see a team that's weak at center looking at his faceoff numbers and thinking he could possibly fill a role as a third line center in which case I'm not sure why he'd want to stay in Pittsburgh to play on the fourth line.

We have Sill to fill Vitale's role, I don't see the need to keep him.

Getting rid of Vitale would be REALLY stupid. He's an excellent faceoff guy, he brings immense speed, tenacity, forechecking ability and physical play. He is pretty much the PERFECT 4th liner, despite the fact that he's not 6'4, but he certainly plays bigger than his size. He brings energy and momentum to this team on 100% of the shifts he plays, which is something we need. And I believe he has upside as a very good PKer one day, and can play RW if needed.

We all know Adams has 1 year left in him tops on this team, and who knows if we'll re-sign Glass. Factoring that in, and especially with Jeffrey gone, losing Vitale would be a terrible move. And the other guys who might have a shot at being 4th liners on this team (Rust, Macaroni) are at least 2-3 years away. I have no problem paying him in the range of what Tanner Glass or Max Talbot makes on a 4-5 year deal. Anything less than that $ would just be gravy.

I don't see Megna getting $1m not do I see Despres getting $3m.

$850k and $2.25m are more likely I'd guess.

it seems very unlikely Despres gets over 2 mil, unless he plays amazing the rest of the year(in the NHL which isnt likely), or is signed for many years, which is also unlikely.
I'd guess, at this point, a 2 year, 1-1.5 mil deal is more likely. or maybe even cheaper if he is in WBS the rest of this season.

Obviously, when you're talking about young guys who have upside, it's the buying out of UFA years that's going, to drive the price up, but I don't see us doing this with either of these 2 players, because it's still too soon to gauge where just how good they're going to be and how soon. I believe we'll do bridge deals on both these players so their next contracts will expire before they hit UFA status.

I see Despres at 2 or 3 year deal (year one $1.5, year two $1.75 and year three $2.0), and Megna on a 2 year deal averaging right around $1million or less over those 2 years (i.e. year one $800k, year two $900k-$1million)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad