Prospect Info: Penguins #2 Prospect

Who's our #2 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Jordy Bellerive...again. Gonna surprise many.

This is our best prospect group since when...2012? When we had all those dmen that didnt pan out here, to go with Beau Bennett..Crosby's future top winger for next decade.

This group being more forward heavy tho...and their particular skill sets...way more confident in a handful of them panning out. Some as top 6..some solid bottom 6. And a Guentzel type or two.

Allowing us to eventually move Rust, Bjugstad, etc...and add a top dman for example with the money we will have from 2-3 players on their ELCs.

Entering a whole new era it seems while Crosby/Malkin still have plenty left in the tank. 2 more cups. 5 total.

JR did what he had to with the group. Filled it out the last two years with multiple players with real chances to become NHLers. Now hopefully more of them don’t get random diseases / stand by exploding fires.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The top tier of the Pens prospects, in whatever order, is:

- Poulin
-Addison
-Hallander
-Bjorkqvist
-POJ

Jarry and Almari are “hopefully” in that upper tier as well, but we need to see more, even if it’s just for the first half of next season to confirm they’re progressing well to know for sure.

There are others with high potential outside of that list who could rise to that top tier, but we cannot anoint them as such quite yet until we see how they do next season.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I'm surprised that POJ and Addison are getting top 3 votes. I think when rating prospects, one should find a balance between potential and likeliness of achieving that potential. In POJ and Addison's case, both have a very high chance at busting. I think Hallander (and Miletic at #3) is a much better choice at #2, because he's already had success against men and has obvious potential. My top 10 if Jarry isn't included :

1. Sam Poulin (F)
2. Filip Hallander (F)
3. Sam Miletic (F)
4. Justin Almeida (F)
5. Jordy Bellerive (F)
6. Calen Addison (D)
7. Nathan Legare (F)
8. Pierre-Olivier Joseph (D)
9. Sam Lafferty (F)
10. Kasper Bjorkqvist (F)
I think you're putting too much stock into likelihood of achieving potential. A guy who is a sure thing 3rd liner is not considered a better prospect than a boom or bust talented winger with 1st line potential. Afterall, every player has a bust factor.

I don't think any GM in the league would trade 1 Addison for 3 Sam Miletic's.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think Legare may end up being better than Poulin.

Lol no. Lagare put up worse stats in the same league with two better linemates.

Lagare was riding 3rd wheel on his line in juniors, picking up cheap points.

Poulin was the man on his team and line. He was the creator of offense for his line....not the 3rd best player on his own line, like Lagare.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I think you're putting too much stock into likelihood of achieving potential. A guy who is a sure thing 3rd liner is not considered a better prospect than a boom or bust talented winger with 1st line potential. Afterall, every player has a bust factor.

That’s because Miletic’s chances of making it to the NHL are very slim. That is a very unfair example to make your case. If you want to make that type of fair comparison we could look at last years trade when we took the safe prospect defenseman in his rookie season for Sprong who had top line upside but also has a good chance to bust. The thing is Pettersson still has Dumoulin type upside in my opinion which is number 2 defenseman on top pairing. More likely good number 4 on second pairing but Pettersson has as good a chance to put on weight and develop to his peek as Sprong making it as a top line winger.

Despite all the prospect complaining over the years of how bad our prospect pool has been the Pens have had a steady flow of prospects and young players added over the years. This is something that almost never happened in the Lemieux era. It seemed like not much ever came up after the Pens won those Cups. This Pens team just last year added Blueger, McCann, Pettersson, Riikola, and Johnson got his first taste.

2015-16: Rust, Sheary, Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Dumoulin, and Murray

2016-17: Guentzel

2017-18: Simon, ZAR, DeSmith, and Jarry

2018-19: Pettersson, McCann, Blueger, Riikola

It doesn’t matter if the Pens trade for the prospects like Dumoulin, McCann, and Pettersson or if you draft or sign college free agents. The bottom line is the Pens have added a ton of NHL young talent in the past 4 years. I see this continuing with the group we have now. Our team is stacked with depth this season so no prospect has room to make this team besides injury call ups. But starting the following season I bet you see 3-4 players knocking on the door to play.

All this is pretty impressive since the Pens have used many draft picks and prospects for NHL players over the years in the win now approach such as Kessel, Schultz, Perron/Hagelin, Brassard, Sheahan, Bjugstad, and so forth. What I love about Rutherford is he almost always gets term unlike Shero who wastes a lot of picks and prospects on rentals.

Last edited:

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
There's something in the tweet thread about the sample size and at what level it starts to get solid - but yeah, small sample sizes. But more than we've got.

I'd still probably go for Addison even without that tweet mind.

I would rather provide the data that is available than not provide any data at all in situations like this. CHL game tracking is tireless, exhausting work. There are hundreds of good prospects and not a lot of time to get it done. I wasn't trying to paint it as some definitive end all be all data set.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Since a lot of people just make their decisions based on draft position, POJ should be a lock for this round.

I still like Almari more than any other Dman on the list.

Hallander and Bjork among F's.

Belle and Addison need to show me something against men before I get on their hype train.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal

The thing is that I don't think Miletic will top out as a 3rd liner. I think he'll develop into a complementary top 6 forward.

That’s because Miletic’s chances of making it to the NHL are very slim.
I disagree. If it weren't for his injuries, Miletic was pretty much a ppg player for the majority of the season. That's impressive considering he was only 20. And I really liked what I saw whenever I had the chance to catch a game.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm surprised that POJ and Addison are getting top 3 votes. I think when rating prospects, one should find a balance between potential and likeliness of achieving that potential. In POJ and Addison's case, both have a very high chance at busting. I think Hallander (and Miletic at #3) is a much better choice at #2, because he's already had success against men and has obvious potential. My top 10 if Jarry isn't included :

1. Sam Poulin (F)
2. Filip Hallander (F)
3. Sam Miletic (F)
4. Justin Almeida (F)
5. Jordy Bellerive (F)
6. Calen Addison (D)
7. Nathan Legare (F)
8. Pierre-Olivier Joseph (D)
9. Sam Lafferty (F)
10. Kasper Bjorkqvist (F)

Good post, FBF. However, I would add a third component beyond potential and likeliness of reaching it: opportunity.

The two D-men are in such a great position to reach their potential in Pittsburgh because there are so few D options otherwise...and those who will be drafted, signed or acquired behind them are just that...behind them. Furthermore, the holes on D are already currently visible on the team.

For my money, Joseph is our No. 2 prospect (and the only guy I may have selected ahead of Poulin, though I still have Samuel first).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

This is roughly where I am. The lottery ticket for a difference maker is more valuable than the short-odds bet on a guy who'll become an everyday commodity. Floor is more or less a tie breaker for me, unless the difference is very stark.

Lol no. Lagare put up worse stats in the same league with two better linemates.

Lagare was riding 3rd wheel on his line in juniors, picking up cheap points.

Poulin was the man on his team and line. He was the creator of offense for his line....not the 3rd best player on his own line, like Lagare.

I agree with this but Legare could still be the better player in time; Poulin has a far better all round skillset right now, but Legare has a freak factor effect to him.

That’s because Miletic’s chances of making it to the NHL are very slim.

Not sure I agree with this. I feel like Miletic's rookie AHL numbers on a guy whose got the sort of frame and game where his scoring only has to reach complimentary levels give him a decent shot.

Hallander will definetly be there for Team Sweden. Addison should have a good chanse for Team Canada aswell.

I'd add that Santeri Airola has a decent shot of being involved for Finland as well.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
That’s because Miletic’s chances of making it to the NHL are very slim. That is a very unfair example to make your case. If you want to make that type of fair comparison we could look at last years trade when we took the safe prospect defenseman in his rookie season for Sprong who had top line upside but also has a good chance to bust. The thing is Pettersson still has Dumoulin type upside in my opinion which is number 2 defenseman on top pairing. More likely good number 4 on second pairing but Pettersson has as good a chance to put on weight and develop to his peek as Sprong making it as a top line winger.

Despite all the prospect complaining over the years of how bad our prospect pool has been the Pens have had a steady flow of prospects and young players added over the years. This is something that almost never happened in the Lemieux era. It seemed like not much ever came up after the Pens won those Cups. This Pens team just last year added Blueger, McCann, Pettersson, Riikola, and Johnson got his first taste.

2015-16: Rust, Sheary, Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Dumoulin, and Murray

2016-17: Guentzel

2017-18: Simon, ZAR, DeSmith, and Jarry

2018-19: Pettersson, McCann, Blueger, Riikola

It doesn’t matter if the Pens trade for the prospects like Dumoulin, McCann, and Pettersson or if you draft or sign college free agents. The bottom line is the Pens have added a ton of NHL young talent in the past 4 years. I see this continuing with the group we have now. Our team is stacked with depth this season so no prospect has room to make this team besides injury call ups. But starting the following season I bet you see 3-4 players knocking on the door to play.

All this is pretty impressive since the Pens have used many draft picks and prospects for NHL players over the years in the win now approach such as Kessel, Schultz, Perron/Hagelin, Brassard, Sheahan, Bjugstad, and so forth. What I love about Rutherford is he almost always gets term unlike Shero who wastes a lot of picks and prospects on rentals.

They made too many trades in the Lemieux era. Naslund being the worst (possibly of all time). Other than Lemieux getting hurt and preventing another cup(imagine Naslund with that team in 96 that lost to the Panthers in 7 games. Would have played the Avs in the finals)...trades were a factor as well. They still had some solid forwards. Add a healthy Mario and Naslund to Jagr, Straka, Kovalev, Lang, etc...and they win at least one more.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Same. Was considered a bit of a steal in the late 2nd, and had a reallly impressive post-draft season. Equally or more impressive than players drafted ahead of him in the same league, including Bokk.

We really do have a group of wingers that play a real grinding game and they are absolute loads to handle. Sid will be in his glory in his mid-30's.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Hallander 6'1 190
Bjorkqvist 6'1 210
Poulin 6'1 212
Legare 6'0 205

All play a game around the net. All are said to be gritty and very strong. Should be really interesting to follow these guys.

Reactions: td_ice

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Hallander 6'1 190
Bjorkqvist 6'1 210
Poulin 6'1 212
Legare 6'0 205

All play a game around the net. All are said to be gritty and very strong. Should be really interesting to follow these guys.

I can see the similarities in their games, but I think they all kinda play a different style.

Hallander - strongest skater of the group. strong 3 zone player
Kasper - 2way, physical winger, closest prospect to a prime Horny
Poulin - playmaker, puck possessing, strong board control
Legare - seems like he has the highest scoring potential, work ethic/D play should translate even if his scoring doesn't

If anything, I'd say each have good hockey IQ, decent skating and solid potential to at least be capable NHL players.

Reactions: JTG and rickardr

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I can see the similarities in their games, but I think they all kinda play a different style.

Hallander - strongest skater of the group. strong 3 zone player
Kasper - 2way, physical winger, closest prospect to a prime Horny
Poulin - playmaker, puck possessing, strong board control
Legare - seems like he has the highest scoring potential, work ethic/D play should translate even if his scoring doesn't

If anything, I'd say each have good hockey IQ, decent skating and solid potential to at least be capable NHL players.

I would agree with your assessment. I'm really excited to see Bjorkqvist's strength at the pro level. If he comes into the AHL and start bullying professionals around, one would have to wonder how long it would take him to get to the NHL.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
They made too many trades in the Lemieux era. Naslund being the worst (possibly of all time). Other than Lemieux getting hurt and preventing another cup(imagine Naslund with that team in 96 that lost to the Panthers in 7 games. Would have played the Avs in the finals)...trades were a factor as well. They still had some solid forwards. Add a healthy Mario and Naslund to Jagr, Straka, Kovalev, Lang, etc...and they win at least one more.

What killed them in 1993 was an inability to tighten up and play defensive when it mattered-- Stevens getting his face smashed was a huge psychological blow, but nobody on that best-ever Pens squad ever realized that they might not be able to just bury the opponents in goals.

And yes, many of those trades were hideous because they also misread how the dead puck era was going to go.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
What killed them in 1993 was an inability to tighten up and play defensive when it mattered-- Stevens getting his face smashed was a huge psychological blow, but nobody on that best-ever Pens squad ever realized that they might not be able to just bury the opponents in goals.

And yes, many of those trades were hideous because they also misread how the dead puck era was going to go.

And the world never got to see Mario Vs Wayne in the finals because of it.

Still remember that series(over the others the years before) , Stevens never being the same after....

and ripping up every Islander player trading card after game 7. Kasparaitis especially , who ends up playing with us for 6 years after that of course. Would love to have a dman like him on our team right now btw.

But youre right they def took that year for granted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad