Prospect Info: Penguins #2 prospect

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Went with Sprong. Seems like he has the potential to be a great pick, and a skilled, high impact NHLer in several years.

Was a toss up between Sprong and Sundqvist, but I went with Sprong's upside vs. Sundqvist being just about NHL-ready.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I would also add that Sprong's value to the organization increased significantly when Kapanen was shipped out in the deal for Kessel. Losing Kapanen and Harrington drained most of the remaining blood out of an already gutted prospect pool.

crosby is the sauce

Mar 24, 2010
Richmond, VA
It was close for me between Sundqvist and Sprong.

Sundvist is more NHL ready and has somewhat proven himself at a high pro-league level (despite not lighting up the lamp he has apparently done many other things well from what I have read) as well as still having a good amount of potential left in him.

Sprong has put up big offensive numbers in the jr league and has a lot more potential. Despite not being closer to NHL readiness his higher potential ceiling and good stats from his current league put him as my pick.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
he's still years away, but I feel like Jarry has the highest upside of anyone on this list - and hasn't exactly been underachieving.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The Despres trade was/is awful and never should have been made regardless of anything, but I doubt Pens' management would have traded him if they didn't believe Dumo had AT LEAST top-4 Dman potential, if not higher.

A 6'4, 200+lbs top 4 NHL Dman who will be playing as soon as this season has higher value than any of our prospects besides Murray as it stands right now. Sundqvist is a sure bet but may only be bottom 6. Sprong may be top-6 but has some big ???. So again, Dumo continues to be underrated around here.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think he is underrated, just graduated.

It's a wasted vote.

Underrated is thinking because of injury Zlobin doesn't have upside or is a bust at this point. He's probably the biggest boom or bust player on the team picked after round 2.

He's the kind of guy teams like Tampa and others are playing. Late finds.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Despres trade was/is awful and never should have been made regardless of anything, but I doubt Pens' management would have traded him if they didn't believe Dumo had AT LEAST top-4 Dman potential, if not higher.

In general, I agree with your line of reasoning. But I wouldn't put much stock into the Pens' management's assessment of players. These are the same individuals who thought Lovejoy was needed, and who think Scuderi still has a spot on this roster. Their player analysis skills leave a lot to be desired lately.

YeeYee

Mar 3, 2011
Illinois
i went with Sundqvist because he seems to developing nicely and very close to being a third liner. I like Sprong but i get the feeling he is getting lots of votes just because he is the new toy, he still needs lots of developing. I could be wrong though, obviously.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think Sprong is getting a lot of votes because he has 40-goal potential. And Kapanen's gone.

If Kapanen was still here he'd be getting those votes.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Dumoulin based on NHL readiness and upside (possible 2nd pairing guy) but I'm not against Sprong or Sundqvist winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad