Penalty kill

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Is abysmal again. Sitting at 29/30th in the league. Most flyer fans want Hakjob gone and if Hex is too stubborn to do it, why not get rid of the assistant coach that manages the penalty kill (Lappy?).

Show the fans that you care about the progression of the team. There's no excuse to not see improvements in this one aspect.
If Lappy is goin the whole staff is going and the new guy will pick his assistants.

Reactions: GoneFullHextall

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Is abysmal again. Sitting at 29/30th in the league. Most flyer fans want Hakjob gone and if Hex is too stubborn to do it, why not get rid of the assistant coach that manages the penalty kill (Lappy?).

Show the fans that you care about the progression of the team. There's no excuse to not see improvements in this one aspect.

Because we are being forced to suffer through this and the flyers hate us.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
85160450-1475947067.jpg

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I can't even remember what it's like to watch a Flyer team play where I was confident in the PK.

NHL.com - Stats

Flyers were 10th in the league from the beginning of the 09-10 season through the lockout shortened season. Wasn’t really an issue before Lappy.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
If they were solid in their own zone 5v5 but would fail miserably on the PK, the system run on the PK and coaching are oviously to blame.

But that goes deeper. It's not really difficult to imagine a team struggling to play defense as a team in general also struggling on the PK.
The Flyers defense as a whole as it is constructed sucks. Players don't mesh. They struggle at even strength and go on the PK scared shit. Plain and simple.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
When you see the players available, you think there is no way the PK could be this bad all this time.
Couts, Raffl, Laughton, G, even Simmer and some untested in the role are all plenty capable.
I've only seen a bit of pressure as teams just have entered the zone. After that, go ahead and move that puck all you like fellas.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If they were solid in their own zone 5v5 but would fail miserably on the PK, the system run on the PK and coaching are oviously to blame.

But that goes deeper. It's not really difficult to imagine a team struggling to play defense as a team in general also struggling on the PK.
The Flyers defense as a whole as it is constructed sucks. Players don't mesh. They struggle at even strength and go on the PK scared ****. Plain and simple.

The Flyers 5v5 defense was good last year and their PK still sucked. Its a system issue. Plain and simple. Cant play a passive box in todays NHL. Players are too skilled and will exploit stationary defenders when they have space.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Again I wonder why Lappy is still here, I know Hexy’s brother will feed us some bullshit that it’s the players and not the coach, but why keep a coach who runs a failing system around? Even after all the kids are marinated when they come up does everything just work when they get here? It seems stupid to keep running a PK that sucks by ever standard and measurement possible, fire Lappy he’s horrible

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Again I wonder why Lappy is still here, I know Hexy’s brother will feed us some bull**** that it’s the players and not the coach, but why keep a coach who runs a failing system around? Even after all the kids are marinated when they come up does everything just work when they get here? It seems stupid to keep running a PK that sucks by ever standard and measurement possible, fire Lappy he’s horrible

Blind loyalty. The reason most incompetent people get hired & keep employment as long as they do in hockey. Lappy is a good ole boy in the Flyers old boys club.

You can dress it up as much as you want with excuses but that’s basically what it boils down to.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Blind loyalty. The reason most incompetent people get hired & keep employment as long as they do in hockey. Lappy is a good ole boy in the Flyers old boys club.

You can dress it up as much as you want with excuses but that’s basically what it boils down to.

I agree with you, obviously, but here's the ****ed up thing - he played one season for us. One. 82 games. And he was a -1, which is below average.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I agree with you, obviously, but here's the ****ed up thing - he played one season for us. One. 82 games. And he was a -1, which is below average.
It does surprise me he latched on so quickly here. Lappy is more of a King than anything, but instead of going west, stayed on the right coast. Go figure.
Blues (3 partial seasons, traded in last), NYR (cup of coffee, traded here, traded away, same season), LAK (9 years, shortened first year), Colo (4 years), Phi (1 year). So the only place he's spent less time is 28 games with the NYR. Colorado screwed us again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

bauer

I WANT GOALS
Nov 11, 2007
everyone knew the PK was going to be **** again... yet Hexy said Lappy improved it towards the end of last season

sigh...hes sooo godam bad at judging his staff its ****ing embaressing really

this x1000.

i don't get it. Hextall is pretty smart when it comes to a lot of things, but he has a major blind spot when it comes to assessing his coaching staff. is it just because they're friends of his and he's too loyal? that's the only reason i can think of. and as a GM, that is a major flaw to have. you need to be able to separate business from personal relationships. and it seems Hextall has a real problem with that. well, i'm guessing that's why. i refuse to believe he's that stupid.

i wish someone in the media could ask him about the team being ranked 30th in the league in PK, and that maybe it's time to stop blaming the players and look at the staff? but the Philly media is total garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->