Game Analysis: Penalty Kill 2020-21

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
For someone who was brought in to kill penalties, Jack Johnson has been doing a piss poor job so far. Rooney has been great.

The soft spot so far has been the middle of the ice- NYR have been leaving it wide open for deflection attempts game after game.

Reactions: CasusBelli

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Buchnevich is surprisingly fantastic at PK'ing
that really changes a lot of things. My gripe with him, or the team in general was that there's too many 'top6 oriented' players. Buch and even Kreider have been a nice surprise on the PK

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
What does the second chart actually show? I read the label and know what it's supposed to show but I have trouble interpreting it. Guy should change his handle to @IneffectiveCharts.
I think the size of the hexagon is how much ice time the player has on the PK and the thickness of the line between any two players increases the more time they spend on the ice together.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
The PK looks good. Our PK forwards are more than fine. Our PK defensemen, specifically their defensive awareness, are our weakness. I’m looking at you, Trouba and Johnson.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
What does the second chart actually show? I read the label and know what it's supposed to show but I have trouble interpreting it. Guy should change his handle to @IneffectiveCharts.

I can't figure out what the point of the chart is at this point. It's completely incomprehensible.

Reactions: romba

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I can't figure out what the point of the chart is at this point. It's completely incomprehensible.
I see that Johnson likely plays frequently with Trouba but still gets fewer minutes than Lindgren. Still, I do wonder why he gets more minutes than Miller on the PK, though our biggest weakness is actually on the right (chart 1) — which indicates Trouba is likely the true weak link, given his playing time relative to that of the other RDs (chart 2).

In short: Trouba sucks.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
The pk the Rangers are running should be advantageous to for forwards. It's predicated on constant motion and puck pressure to force turnovers or to keep the puck moving so no pp player gets an easy shot. The whole diamond should stretch toward the puck with one d anchoring the diamond. That anchor d should be limiting the shots from the soft spot Fitzy mentions. Since all 4 pk'ers are always moving it should help lead to offense when the opportunity is there, like that lovely shorty the other day.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I see that Johnson likely plays frequently with Trouba but still gets fewer minutes than Lindgren. Still, I do wonder why he gets more minutes than Miller on the PK, though our biggest weakness is actually on the right (chart 1) — which indicates Trouba is likely the true weak link, given his playing time relative to that of the other RDs (chart 2).

In short: Trouba sucks.

How can two different sized hexagons be linked? How many shared minutes is that when each hexagon is a set amount of minutes, it's very confusing.

Edit: I guess it's based on how fat the links are.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I appreciate the efforts, but there are better ways to dimensionalize information. I think with DeAngelo being moved on from, getting a defensive player, and slotting guys differently should have a greater impact.

Can Gauthier kill penalties? With that size and speed, he would be effective. IMHO the analytics on the PK read to me as this: Speed & Hustle Kills. The bigger guys have more space to pressure. More room to maximize each stride. More space to carry the puck, and you're usually only going to have to beat one guy off the rush. Kreider should be a lead PKer. He's smart and fast enough to force the play wide and out with a few strides. Mika torched the league 5v5 that way.

Blackwell could end up being a very effective PKer as well. Especially if he can take draws.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
How can two different sized hexagons be linked? How many shared minutes is that when each hexagon is a set amount of minutes, it's very confusing.

Edit: I guess it's based on how fat the links are.
They can be linked because partners change. You can have Trouba playing PK1 the whole time with his partner changing game to game (for example).

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Size of hexagon = ice-time
Size of lines = shared ice-time

Maybe I’m just a visual thinker but it’s clear for me?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I mean if you guys have a better way to depict this information, by all means, saved me the trouble of copy/pasting back and forth. :laugh:

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
The PK has definitely improved but blocking shots is a huge part of it.
If you're gonna post charts, why wouldn't you account it?

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Yeah, I think I kind of figured it out later. It didn't realize the lines were also a factor until later.
It's a bit goofy. I mean, a spreadsheet might have been easier to see the info but advanced stats = advaaaaanced graphs.
I personally don't understand what % availability means. Is that the % of time they were standing around not actively engaged in the play and thus available or open?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's a bit goofy. I mean, a spreadsheet might have been easier to see the info but advanced stats = advaaaaanced graphs.
I personally don't understand what % availability means. Is that the % of time they were standing around not actively engaged in the play and thus available or open?
Sorry.

% of Available X Time = how much time player has spent on the total amount of minutes the team has spent doing X.

i.e. Trouba has played 32:43 shorthanded, and the team has been shorthanded for 56:18, hence he has played ~60% of Available PK Time.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'm a little confused what's so confusing about the charts? There's a legend that explains the meaning of the hexagons and lines right on the page...Seems incredibly obvious to me and I am someone who prefers just looking at the raw numbers to any sort of visual aid.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad