Peluso's Injury and the Sanctity of Hockey's Traditions

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
Whether on not hockey is a "pansy" sport has nothing to do with fighting in it.
Neither football, nor rugby would be considered pansy sports.

Fighting in hockey has had its day and it's time for it to be removed. Especially BS staged fights between team goons.

Players removing their helmets prior to fighting adds to the possibility of a major head injury. Hands heal.

and thats why in football you have players chirping, wining, and complaining all the time

if something goes on, players can resolve it with fists, and get back to the game

and football has fights, the players just slap each others helmets and push each other(fist fight makes way more sense)

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
and thats why in football you have players chirping, wining, and complaining all the time

if something goes on, players can resolve it with fists, and get back to the game

and football has fights, the players just slap each others helmets and push each other(fist fight makes way more sense)

Most of the players known for chirping, whining, and complaining very rarely fight.

As for thing "engraved" into hockey.
I never thought I would see the day that the two line pass rule was removed since it was engraved in how hockey was played.
I didnt see a time when helmets became mandatory.
I didn't see a time when visor became mandatory but it is going to happen.
I didnt see a time when wooden sticks were no longer used.

I'll admit that I am entertained when a fight breaks out but I just think it's day has come and gone.

Putting a rule into effect where five fighting majors gave a player a automatic 10 game suspension and a hefty fine to the team would go a long way to eliminating staged fights.
Emotional, spur of the moment fights, between actual hockey players could still happen.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Most of the players known for chirping, whining, and complaining very rarely fight.

As for thing "engraved" into hockey.
I never thought I would see the day that the two line pass rule was removed since it was engraved in how hockey was played.
I didnt see a time when helmets became mandatory.
I didn't see a time when visor became mandatory but it is going to happen.
I didnt see a time when wooden sticks were no longer used.

I'll admit that I am entertained when a fight breaks out but I just think it's day has come and gone.

Putting a rule into effect where five fighting majors gave a player a automatic 10 game suspension and a hefty fine to the team would go a long way to eliminating staged fights.
Emotional, spur of the moment fights, between actual hockey players could still happen.

I like that. I think staged fights are a joke, and a tarnish on what I believe to be one of, if not the most, skilled sports there is, but when somebody runs the goalie, I want to see Bogo fly in again and Ragdoll the little punk.

There is a difference between fighting to provide goonish entertainment, and fighting to put yourself on the line for a teammate.

My position is I think there is no place for staged fights in hockey, but I want the kind of players on my team who will unleash on a guy who does something like run my goalie or kick a teammate with a cheap shot while he's down.

But answer big hits with big hits, not big fists. Because you get hit playing the game, that's how it is.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
tonights fight and the outcome of the game.....

What about the outcome when Peluso destroyed Volpatti?

I can get behind the idea of a fight lifting a team, but let's face it, either side can pick a fight and that game's outcome to justify their point.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
Well, our gifted fourth liner Anthony Peluso is still absent since sustaining a broken bone in his right hand after it landed squarely on Aaron Volpatti's head on March 2nd. We should specify that the incident occurred as he and Volpatti were involved in an on-ice fistfight, which basically consists of two guys on skates, flailing their arms randomly through the air, trying to connect with something vaguely resembling flesh. Of course, seeing as the two fighters are also attempting to pull their opponent's jersey over their head, and given that, as previously mentioned, they are both on skates, the odds of landing a punch on anything resembling flesh are somewhat slim. The odds of striking something hard and unforgiving, however, are significantly higher. A few of these objects come to mind easily - the boards, the ice, a helmet, bone... and I'm sure there are many more of them out there if were to put our collective heads together and think about it a bit more...

The game of hockey consists mostly of the act of using your hands to guide a stick, which in turn ushers a small rubber disc into tiny openings leading into a net. If other sports are games of inches, hockey is a game of millimetres. The dexterity which is necessary to score a goal is impressive, sometimes astonishing. One would think that hockey players value, above anything else... their fingers! And yet, guys like Peluso flail their arms randomly through the air on a daily basis, attempting to strike that elusive flesh, and jeopardizing the very things that makes them good at this game: their hands. The Jets captain also fought this month, as did other goal scorers in the Jets line up - fighting, you see, is not an exclusive domain of the dumb brutes on the ice, but "part of the game", as we are often reminded.

This of course leads to many questions, but I won't bore you with all of them. Could someone just simply explain to me who is more clueless: the hockey player who willingly smashes the one thing that makes him good at his craft squarely into inanimate objects that are built with the exact goal of being as unyielding as possible, or the scores of fans in the stands cheering for this spectacle?

I won't compare apples to oranges other than to ask another very simple question: why do you think NFL receivers do not randomly and willingly crush their hands into the helmets of defensive backs when they get a little irate? Could it be that these gifted athletes from across the border know something that boys growing up in the Canadian Prairies do not??

I just wish that proponents of the sanctity of Canada's favourite sport also understood the idiocy behind some of its most sacrosanct traditions.

Have you ever even watched a hockey fight? Or do you close your eyes when someone drops the gloves so you don't have to watch the violence?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

I also know three former CFL players and the amount of dirty stuff (A LOT of nut grabbing in pileups) that I heard about was astonishing. You would not believe some of the stuff that happens in those piles.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah, there is no doubt that a fight between two AHL scrubs changed the outcome of the game for the Jets :shakehead

Exactly. To me, the fight between Peluso and.. the other guy.. is the most damning proof of fighting's antiquated irrelevancy in today's game.

Then, of course, I think of the Ladd / Phaneuf fight, between two highly skilled players charged to lead their team for a variety of reasons, one of which is their toughness.

In the end, I find myself as lost as before I considered it. All I really know is that comparing other major sports to hockey, for purposes of extrapolating the relevancy of fighting, is intellectually bankrupt. Hockey players wear two lethal weapons on their feet and carry a five-foot club at virtually all times. It hardly stretches the imagination to see hockey fighting as a far lesser of N evils and a means of settling scores, in the same way that HILO and the US Government settled major geopolitical issues over a game of Futuresport, or how Rollerball proved itself as the means for Jonathan E. to forge his societal protests in a way far above his lot in life.

Yes, I'm really stretching here. It's late, go easy on me.

TL;DR: Peluso fight no more proves irrelevancy of fighting than Ladd fight proves relevancy, thus debate rages on.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Interesting debate so far. But I think the NHL has to appease the majority of paying (tickets, mechandise etc) fans. If a majoirty of the fans want and enjoy fighting it will stay......if a majority are against it and display their distain about fighting in hockey it will be removed.

From my personal experiences at all levels of hockey the only time the fans stand and cheer the most is when there is a goal, huge save, shootout or a fight. I believe and from my hockey experience a fight is not only to motivate your team it is to get the crowd back into the game and cheering/chanting/heckling when you are losing and may be stagnet and quiet in your barn.

When all said and done. Yes I do enjoy a good tilt, staged or out of passion. That is the kind of hockey I grew up watching and playing.

If it goes away will I be upset? maybe for one season but there is always UFC to watch :D

and the players say:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...erwhelming-opposition-fighting-175557533.html

(bit of an older article but I am sure the mentality has not changed much 2011and2012 player poll on the subject)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I hate the staged fights. hate, hate, hate.... and I've been around hockey and fights for 30 years. It's so disingenuous to see that ****. To hear the guys ask each other if they want to fight is so ridiculous to me and demeaning to hockey itself.

To see a 'heat of the moment' fight or a 'stick up for a teammate' fight is another completely different story to me... these are absolutely part of the game imo.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Any one notice that the thread starter still only has one post.
Odd, I guess he wasn't a fan of everyone disagreeing with him :laugh:

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
well the score reflects my point

Did it reflect your point when Peluso tore his hand apart while wrecking someones face against Washington? No. We got steamrolled.

The score of the last game proves nothing except that the Jets played a better game that day.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
If people want (haven't found it yet, maybe someone else can)...

There has been long term research that was done on NHL games looking at shots and goals within a timeframe after a fight. (I think it was Gabriel Desjardins or mc79hockey but not sure)

I can summarize even though I haven't found it yet:
*shots and goals did increase somewhat afterwards
*it was completely random in which team gained the boost and had no correlation to winning the fight or the score before hand
*there has been no correlation to a team's number of fights and wins (another study showed the same to hits)
*there is a (weak) correlation to number of team's fighting majors and injuries, in that team's that fight more tend to experience more man-games lost to injuries

I've said it before, but I view it like pulling the goalie. There's a risk and a reward.
When you pull the goalie, you risk an easy goal for having another forward to help create offensive opportunities.
When you fight for energy, you risk energizing the other team or injury to your player to create the chance for team energy.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
If people want (haven't found it yet, maybe someone else can)...

There has been long term research that was done on NHL games looking at shots and goals within a timeframe after a fight. (I think it was Gabriel Desjardins or mc79hockey but not sure)

I can summarize even though I haven't found it yet:
*shots and goals did increase somewhat afterwards
*it was completely random in which team gained the boost and had no correlation to winning the fight or the score before hand
*there has been no correlation to a team's number of fights and wins (another study showed the same to hits)
*there is a (weak) correlation to number of team's fighting majors and injuries, in that team's that fight more tend to experience more man-games lost to injuries

I've said it before, but I view it like pulling the goalie. There's a risk and a reward.
When you pull the goalie, you risk an easy goal for having another forward to help create offensive opportunities.
When you fight for energy, you risk energizing the other team or injury to your player to create the chance for team energy.

I think we have to factor in that it is mostly just a spectacle of entertainment for the crowd and viewers at home or as some anti-fightings activists refer to it as a "sideshow" for a bloodlusting roman like arena crowd :p: .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad