Proposal: Pegula signature move?

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
It's his team but Regier is the GM. Will Pegula make a signature move happen? Will Regier be capable of constructing said move?

It's no secret that Regier loves his players, and has not shown a willingness to trade a player when it appears said player might be better traded. Connolly should have been sent packing sooner, as should have Roy. I look at Vanek and the way Ruff uses him and think might he be sent packing???

Anyway, going on 2 years with Pegula in charge and no signature move. Is it time? With Hecht back is it sort of status quo??? Yes, Roy/Ott but where is the move to bring in a real winner??? Same leaders that never have shown a true win at all cost mentality...26, 29, 21, 55. We're counting on these guys to win and be good examples....is it time to sacrifice one youngster, one of 26-29-21, and a pick and bring in a stud???? Is it time to tell Regier to address this need and forget about having to "win" the trade because the guy you bring in will posativelly change the makeup/attitude of the team? Or do we trust Regier and the kids?????

Signature or not?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
What you think is a "signature move" may not be what others view as a "signature move". And visa versa. What, in your eyes is considered it? Explain your definition of a "signature move".

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
It's his team but Regier is the GM. Will Pegula make a signature move happen? Will Regier be capable of constructing said move?

It's no secret that Regier loves his players, and has not shown a willingness to trade a player when it appears said player might be better traded. Connolly should have been sent packing sooner, as should have Roy. I look at Vanek and the way Ruff uses him and think might he be sent packing???

Anyway, going on 2 years with Pegula in charge and no signature move. Is it time? With Hecht back is it sort of status quo??? Yes, Roy/Ott but where is the move to bring in a real winner??? Same leaders that never have shown a true win at all cost mentality...26, 29, 21, 55. We're counting on these guys to win and be good examples....is it time to sacrifice one youngster, one of 26-29-21, and a pick and bring in a stud???? Is it time to tell Regier to address this need and forget about having to "win" the trade because the guy you bring in will posativelly change the makeup/attitude of the team? Or do we trust Regier and the kids?????

Signature or not?

If it improves our hockey team, sure. I'm all for trading one of Pominville, Vanek, Stafford, etc if it will improve our hockey team.

It's not like Darcy can just go out and wave his magic wand to trade one of our players for some guy who will bring us a cup.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
It's not as easy as you make it seem. "bringing in a stud" is no simple task, if another team has a "stud" that they want to trade, they are going to want a "stud" back in return. If you look at the past few years, very very few of these trades go down.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
My 2 cents worth are Pegula bucks will work best when the team shows it is playoff capable and ready to seriously challenge for SC.

And that's when and how you attract the talent that puts your team over the top. Not before.

Dressing rooms and low cost of living are nice add on attractions. But it's about winning the big prize.

With the kids in the pipeline, we won't have long to wait.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Here I thought Terry's move was the robot with Teddy and Darcy doing some gangnam style in the background.

When I think of signature moves, the only real ones that pop to mind in the Sabres' history were Turgeon for LaFontaine, Housley for Hawerchuk or Scottie's let's swap everyone but Perreault for Detroit's team. You could argue that the Hoff and Leino signings were signature moves, as it showed the NHL that the Sabres had a new sheriff in town and the status quo was no mas.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I agree with the youth movement, and that it's not easy to trade but over the past few years guys like Kessel (don't want any part of the two first trade), Carter, Nash, Richards, Kovalchuk, Hossa, James Neal, Nathan Horton...to name a few were all traded.

Again, not easy but it can be done. Signature trade....Pomms for Ryan o'Reily to keep youthful. Of course B Ryan. We traded for LaFontain in his prime, trades happen.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
The way teams in this league win is by developing their own talent and adding a piece when it becomes available. It's not like the Sabres aren't trying to be active in the free agent market, wasn't it reported that they offered Parise and Suter even more money than the Wild did?

Change the culture, and eventually great players will want to play here. It's really as simple as that.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Why the emphasis on a signature move? Is that what will make the team into an actual contender on a consistent basis? No.

While I don't think he's done a perfect job, I like that he's focusing on the big picture and the long game a lot. He's aiming to change the culture inside and out. That can't be done with just a trade or GM/Coach.

Besides, you don't go for the home runs unless it gives you a really good chance AND you can recover from it if it fails. This team isn't there yet and it might take longer than most fans want to wait.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I just remembered that whole 'signature move' thing from WGR and puked in my mouth. Pegula's signature move won't have anything to do with the roster because that's silly. His signature moves: buying the Amerks, arena renovations, buying the adjacent lot, opening up the purse strings for hockey operations.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Why the emphasis on a signature move? Is that what will make the team into an actual contender on a consistent basis? No.

While I don't think he's done a perfect job, I like that he's focusing on the big picture and the long game a lot. He's aiming to change the culture inside and out. That can't be done with just a trade or GM/Coach.

Besides, you don't go for the home runs unless it gives you a really good chance AND you can recover from it if it fails. This team isn't there yet and it might take longer than most fans want to wait.

Building on this:

People point to the Wings as the model for teams. Detroit took 13 years from drafting Yzerman to get to their first Cup win in decades. Their "culture of winning" took a great deal of floundering after Illitch took over -- they were trying to reverse a decade of incompetience the level of which Buffalo has never experienced. Putting the hockey department back in order, putting in ammenities and treating his staff well will take years to reverse some of the stigma 15-ish years of miserly treatment at the hands of various owners.

As for most "signature moves" in terms of personnel, there is having the talent to make the deal and someone having a need elsewhere to make such a deal. And there is also the risk appetite for the GM to pull of a re-defining trade. They don't yet have the talent, nor do they seem to have a GM with risk appetite, so even if they can find someone who may want to make a deal, it may not matter.

I just remembered that whole 'signature move' thing from WGR and puked in my mouth. Pegula's signature move won't have anything to do with the roster because that's silly. His signature moves: buying the Amerks, arena renovations, buying the adjacent lot, opening up the purse strings for hockey operations.

I was thinking his signature move was buying the team too.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Does he need a "signature move?" Honestly? I don't really think so. I think this is a concept based on wishful thinking. I understand that every fan wants a blockbuster trade for a superstar, but TBH its hard to say that the lack of one is a failure. BTW. A signature move is something you'd only be able to designate years after IMO. So asking for it now is kind of pointless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad