Pegula Interview with AP

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
Seriously. If someone dedicated 8 paragraphs in an article to poorly executed jokes or flubbed comments that I made during an announcement I wouldn't seek them out for interviews.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
hey NHLers come to Buffalo where the owner will back you up if you tell TBN to sit on your stick and do a couple laps, sounds like some hockey heaven for the players

Also I doubt TP cares if it looks good to you, reference Darcy and the new thirds

An organizational approach of ducking and hiding when people are mean to you isn't something I want to see.

I want an organization that is mentally tougher than that.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I simple do not understand why TBN and fans in general feel they are owed direct access to the owner for the purpose of grilling him and "taking the heat" That's what Black and Regier are for.

I don't believe that Pegula HAS to talk. I have no issue with him delegating that responsibility to Ted Black.

I just think the talking to the AP and not the News looks petty and bush league, is all.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's not how I meant for it to come across, but re-reading it, I can see why it did. I meant that I don't see what any of us (fans, Sabres, media) can gain by Pegula being the bigger man with TBN.

He can put himself out there all day and those guys will never give him an objective shake. It's just not their MO.

I believe that Pegula going this route is going to make things even worse and not better.

If Pegula were willing and able to reach out and calm down the situation, the fans might get better coverage.

Unfortunately, I think Pegula got the relationship off to a bad start with the comments about the media being too tough on the players, especially Timmah. I think some at the News haven't gotten past that.

And Pegula doing stuff like this isn't going to help that.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I believe that Pegula going this route is going to make things even worse and not better.

If Pegula were willing and able to reach out and calm down the situation, the fans might get better coverage.

Unfortunately, I think Pegula got the relationship off to a bad start with the comments about the media being too tough on the players, especially Timmah. I think some at the News haven't gotten past that.

And Pegula doing stuff like this isn't going to help that.

And you think Pegula is the one that's caused this? :help:

Professional sports writers that openly profess a vendetta against him and your mad he doesn't deal with them?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
And you think Pegula is the one that's caused this? :help:

Professional sports writers that openly profess a vendetta against him and your mad he doesn't deal with them?

Pegula fired the first shot with the complaints about the media being too tough.

From personal experience, when you have a situation like this you can entrench on each side like children fighting over a toy, or one side can be the adult, calm down, reach out, and figure out a way to coexist.

I don't see how it's in the team's best interest for the News' Sports department to hate the owner and the owner to repeatedly do things to irritate them.

How is Pegula doing what he's doing the best thing for the fans and the club?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't believe that Pegula HAS to talk. I have no issue with him delegating that responsibility to Ted Black.

I just think the talking to the AP and not the News looks petty and bush league, is all.

In what universe is talking to the AP -- far and away one of the most vital and respected news agencies in the world -- bush league? They're better than the Buffalo media and they play to an international audience. It's hardly bush league to do an international interview. How often do sports owners give interviews? Most hardly ever do, and those that do tend only to do it with a specific outlet they trust. Who in the Buffalo media has earned that trust? As you say, Pegula has no obligation to do interviews at all, so why shouldn't it be at his discretion who he grants them to?

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
TBN could solve this problem VERY EASILY.

1. Stop being children.
2. Every time they ask the Sabres for an interview on a topic, but are denied, write the story anyways, BUT also professionally point out that the Sabres were asked to comment on the story,but refused.

Point it out to the general public that they're shutting you out. Don't cry about it, just make it known that it's happening. Let public opinion form on it's own.

Then again, maybe the public is, for the most part, ok with it.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Pegula fired the first shot with the complaints about the media being too tough.

From personal experience, when you have a situation like this you can entrench on each side like children fighting over a toy, or one side can be the adult, calm down, reach out, and figure out a way to coexist.

I don't see how it's in the team's best interest for the News' Sports department to hate the owner and the owner to repeatedly do things to irritate them.

How does doing whats best for the club require letting some $50k a year sports reporter talk crap about you every couple of weeks in the paper?

The Buffalo Sabres could win a Cup without anyone at TBN ever writing a word.

Clock

May 13, 2006

1. Stop being children.
2. Every time they ask the Sabres for an interview on a topic, but are denied, write the story anyways, BUT also professionally point out that the Sabres were asked to comment on the story,but refused.

Point it out to the general public that they're shutting you out. Don't cry about it, just make it known that it's happening. Let public opinion form on it's own.

That's about where I'm at. I don't think that as a fan I'm really suffering because Pegula doesn't want to talk to our Mickey Mouse media.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

In general I agree but fail to see how that would placate the 3 stooges at the News. Their entire MO is to stir **** up. Darcy is about as polite and respectful as can be with all media outlets and is very available to them. Yet he gets hammered repeatedly by Bucky and to a lesser extent the other two. Its rarely in well thought out and fair minded articles.

I fail to see how anything Pegula does would be enough to get those 3 idiots to stop being who they are. I mean lets be honest that's what they are as reporters. They would likely lord it over Pegula that he "bowed" to them and then bashed him for doing that.

Well I guess he should fire Regier then and a have a fireside chat with those 3. That might smooth things over. Because Regier being here is one of Bucky's issues against the team

I don't think fans give two ***** if he talks to TBN. They want a winning team. He does that and they will be happy.

The reality is that, other than Vogl, the News does very little to inform the fan base like they should. That was occurring before this spat with Pegula. Their understanding of off all things hockey is incredibly weak.

Last edited:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
That's about where I'm at. I don't think that as a fan I'm really suffering because Pegula doesn't want to talk to our Mickey Mouse media.

Indeed.

I mean, I rarely even load TBN's website, and almost never look at a physical paper unless it's laying there when I grab breakfast or something. So it's been a LONG time since I consumed anything TBN has generated about the Sabres from them. I still feel informed and in the loop with that is happening with the team between the info the Sabres put out and what is written in the national media/TSN and Bill Hoppe's stories.

I certainly don't need to read any of their opinion pieces. I'm perfectly capable to forming those on my own, and if I want more I can come here.

So what exactly is TBN providing me that I'm missing out on? That is not a troll question. I'm legitimately curious what I could get there that I couldn't get elsewhere. I just don't know.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
In what universe is talking to the AP -- far and away one of the most vital and respected news agencies in the world -- bush league? They're better than the Buffalo media and they play to an international audience. It's hardly bush league to do an international interview. How often do sports owners give interviews? Most hardly ever do, and those that do tend only to do it with a specific outlet they trust. Who in the Buffalo media has earned that trust? As you say, Pegula has no obligation to do interviews at all, so why shouldn't it be at his discretion who he grants them to?

Seriously?

Talking to the AP isn't the issue. Talking only to the AP and freezing out The Buffalo News is.

You think it's cool to freeze out a media outlet like The Buffalo News. I don't.

We are going to have to agree to disagree.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
How does doing whats best for the club require letting some $50k a year sports reporter talk crap about you every couple of weeks in the paper?

The Buffalo Sabres could win a Cup without anyone at TBN ever writing a word.

The best thing for the club would be to build a bridge and not have things continue the way that they have.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Seriously?

Talking to the AP isn't the issue. Talking only to the AP and freezing out The Buffalo News is.

You think it's cool to freeze out a media outlet like The Buffalo News. I don't.

We are going to have to agree to disagree.

As I said, owners rarely give interviews, and that includes Pegula. It's not like he's doing a bunch of interviews but blacklisting the Buffalo News. He gave one interview and chose the AP. That is not "freezing" anyone out. The organization grants interviews to TBN and WGR very frequently, so there's clearly no such freeze out going on. So yes, seriously. This is ridiculous.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So what exactly is TBN providing me that I'm missing out on? That is not a troll question. I'm legitimately curious what I could get there that I couldn't get elsewhere. I just don't know.

Maybe, just maybe, if someone other than JW was talking to Pegula there might have been more information that came out of that conversation.

But, we will never know....

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
As I said, owners rarely give interviews, and that includes Pegula. It's not like he's doing a bunch of interviews but blacklisting the Buffalo News. He gave one interview and chose the AP. That is not "freezing" anyone out. The organization grants interviews to TBN and WGR very frequently, so there's clearly no such freeze out going on. So yes, seriously. This is ridiculous.

Really?

Did you read any of the posts in this thread laughing at Pegula freezing out The Buffalo News?

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Maybe, just maybe, if someone other than JW was talking to Pegula there might have been more information that came out of that conversation.

But, we will never know....

And if someone other than JW did the interview, information that came out through JW's questions wouldn't have. It's a one-on-one interview, not a press conference, so this is an entirely unreasonable point to make.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
And if someone other than JW did the interview, information that came out through JW's questions wouldn't have. It's a one-on-one interview, not a press conference, so this is an entirely unreasonable point to make.

I'm sure Pegula couldn't have talked to anyone else....

:sarcasm:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Really?

Did you read any of the posts in this thread laughing at Pegula freezing out The Buffalo News?

Again, Pegula not doing an interview isn't "freezing them out" when he does like one interview a year if that. More importantly, the organization is obviously not freezing out the Buffalo News.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Again, Pegula not doing an interview isn't "freezing them out" when he does like one interview a year if that. More importantly, the organization is obviously not freezing out the Buffalo News.

That is the impression he's giving off to fans.

And image is everything, after all.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm sure Pegula couldn't have talked to anyone else....

:sarcasm:

Cool sarcasm and all, but you're intentionally ignoring the fact owners are selective with their interviews and do them rarely. It seems you're suggesting Pegula should be obligated to do multiple interviews with everyone, even if that would be very uncommon for an owner. How is that a legitimate criticism?

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

I think not talking to ANY newspaper would be petty.

Fans are not missing anything of value but Pegula not talking to TBN. Whatever they end up writing, with or without Pegula quotes, is almost always going to be ****. They would likely use Pegula's words to spin their story in the most negative way possible. Pegula's words would not drive the narrative of the story, at all. The narrative is already written for every single story.

Does that make sense? It frankly doesn't matter if it looks "childish". No one is being deprived of anything, except the 3 clowns at BTN not getting to make fun of Terry for not being a smooth talker.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

1. Stop being children.
2. Every time they ask the Sabres for an interview on a topic, but are denied, write the story anyways, BUT also professionally point out that the Sabres were asked to comment on the story, but refused. Moreover, don't whine about it, embellish, project, and emote. Simply state it.

100% agree. My bold inserted above.

JimBob said:
The best thing for the club would be to build a bridge and not have things continue the way that they have.
Agreed. But I equate this scenario to parenting a petulant child. Before compromise and/or future state (building a bridge) is discussed, the child must clearly understand he/she is not the authority / controlling figure.*

*Were we instead talking about a free press as a "4th branch" check and balance on the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government, as intended by our founding fathers, then I agree such power should be shared more equally (and regret that it is largely not today). But that topic is not for this thread.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

That is the impression he's giving off to fans.
And image is everything, after all.

Is that indeed the impression Pegula is giving off to fans?
Or is that the impression TBN wants imbued?
Or is that the impression the OP in this thread or certain respondents want you to form?
I'm not asking these to poke you, nor anyone else. I'm simply suggesting alternatives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad