News Article: Pearson Call Up Coming? And the Effects of Solid Bottom Line Centers

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
With two out of three of the Kings' best prospects already up with the squad and doing well early on, only Tanner Pearson the team's 2012 first-round selection remains in the AHL with Manchester.

There may be an opportunity for him though on the upcoming New York state swing that the Kings will embark on starting Tuesday and ending on Sunday. The trip will take the Kings just about 250 miles and an hour and a half plane flight from Manchester, NH where Pearson is currently playing....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=55612

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Awesome news on the Pearson call up!

According to Lisa Dilman, Clifford, Carter and Green will not be on this road trip. I guess that means, Stoll is.

I guess TT will continue to play on the 2nd line; Vey on the 4th line and Pearson, all likely on the 3rd line???

Last edited:

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Awesome news!

According to Lisa Dilman, Clifford, Carter and Green will not be on this road trip. I guess that means, Stoll is.

I guess TT will continue to play on the 2nd line; Vey on the 4th line and Pearson, all likely on the 3rd line???

That is hardly awesome news that 3 of our regular players are out.

Also, we still need to make a roster move (Fraser maybe?) to get under the salary cap.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Kings have to use IR on a player, but it shouldn't be an issue. They can retroactively place Greene or Clifford on and the 7-day minimum will be met either right as they get back or before in the case of Greene.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
As much as it would be nice to see Pearson get the call up it won't happen. We need a roster spot first. So unless another player goes on IR we don't have it. And then there is that little thing call the cap. We have 18K or so right now. So we can't call anyone up without a roster move. And with 16 teams at or near the cap they can't make moves without LTIR or opening a roster spot either.
These problems are also why trying to move a player right now is so tough.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Nice article, Jason!

I'm still a little confused, though, about what it would take to call up Pearson. Just putting a guy on IR wouldn't do the trick, would it? He'd have to go on long-term IR, which seems unlikely given all three guys are day-to-day. And a trade seems even more unlikely at this point, since we need all the guys we can get right now.

Interesting scenario.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Kings have to use IR on a player, but it shouldn't be an issue. They can retroactively place Greene or Clifford on and the 10-day minimum will be met either right as they get back or before in the case of Greene.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless we put someone on LTIR, all of their salaries will count against the cap. According to Capgeek, we are $18k under the limit. Hence we can't call someone up without shedding salary.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Nice article, Jason!

I'm still a little confused, though, about what it would take to call up Pearson. Just putting a guy on IR wouldn't do the trick, would it? He'd have to go on long-term IR, which seems unlikely given all three guys are day-to-day. And a trade seems even more unlikely at this point, since we need all the guys we can get right now.

Interesting scenario.

It is long term IR, my mistake. It's a matter of how serious the injuries are at this point. I clarified that on my article. I hate all the intricacies of some of these things. Confuse myself sometimes XD

Capgeek does a nice breakdown of LTIR and the salary implications.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-long-term-injured-reserve-LTIR-work

In terms of them being "day-to-day". I'm not so sure. Greene coming off a season long back injury..and Clifford getting his "Bell rung" with a history of concussions. Might be DtD, might not.

Last edited:

KingKopitar11*

I would rather scratch Frattin than Carcillo. Carcillo's earned his starts, Frattin hasn't.

I don't care really who's on the fourth.

As long as that's our third line I am happy. Finally a top 9 that can score. That is all I want. Keep the third like that and do whatever you want with the fourth.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless we put someone on LTIR, all of their salaries will count against the cap. According to Capgeek, we are $18k under the limit. Hence we can't call someone up without shedding salary.

And even if he goes on LTIR, only the protion that would put us over the cap is not counted. The portion that brings us up to the cap limit would be counted.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I would scratch Frattin, the guy has had maybe two good games ?

At this point Jordan Nolan should be on that Third line RW spot(hes earned it).

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Kind of surprised Fraser isn't gone yet.

How about because it just isn't that easy making a trade this year with the cap having gone down. even with his low salary of 825K there are 16 teams that don't even have that much cap space. Granted 10 of them due to LTIR have enough to take it on. But with 9 of those it would put them to a point where they couldn't even take on a 2.5M contract at the deadline.
Bottom line is that most teams are looking at trading dollar for dollar. So that they have a little room at the deadline to maybe add an impact player. And that wouldn't help us we need a pick or prospect. In order to open the roster and salary. But so does over half the league.

KingKopitar11*

How about because it just isn't that easy making a trade this year with the cap having gone down. even with his low salary of 825K there are 16 teams that don't even have that much cap space. Granted 10 of them due to LTIR have enough to take it on. But with 9 of those it would put them to a point where they couldn't even take on a 2.5M contract at the deadline.
Bottom line is that most teams are looking at trading dollar for dollar. So that they have a little room at the deadline to maybe add an impact player. And that wouldn't help us we need a pick or prospect. In order to open the roster and salary. But so does over half the league.

Or you can waive him. At most you'd get a 5th for him. You don't have to trade him.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Or you can waive him. At most you'd get a 5th for him. You don't have to trade him.

Why waive an asset when you can get a 5th? A 5th ain't much I agree, but on our roster right now Muzzin, Nolan, Mitchell and Scrivens were all drafted 5th round or later. There's no sense wasting an asset.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Geez, I hope Clifford is okay. Did anybody ever identify the play in which his "bell was rung?"

Buffalo might be the best opportunity to try out a "Kid Line," assuming the GM can make the necessary cap moves.

KingKopitar11*

Why waive an asset when you can get a 5th? A 5th ain't much I agree, but on our roster right now Muzzin, Nolan, Mitchell and Scrivens were all drafted 5th round or later. There's no sense wasting an asset.

I know, but 5ths tend to be loooong projects or most of the time nothing special. If this is just for timing, then you can just waive him. There's many players like him, so it will probably take some time to get rid of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad