Peaking too early?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I really hate the "peaking" line of thought and that its even brought up around the Pens. It just another excuse for not getting a job done. These players get paid gazillions of dollars to go out and win.

I swear... If I hear a 20 something so and so is tired, worn down or any number of excuses during these playoffs I going to drop sports all together.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Penguins have fallen short of a top 3 seed the last few years, and they've suffered for it. So i'll take peaking early.. if it means a better round 1 match up

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
DSCF0726.jpg

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
We didn't peak without Crosby last year. We went on an absolute tear as soon as Crosby came back last year.

Offensively speaking. But our team really fell apart when he came back, that's when we absurdly high scoring games much like earlier this season. 8-5 was a routine night.

mccoyadam

Mar 4, 2013
PA
Pens Streaking Too Early??

I know this is probably on the mind of any educated hockey fan. Sure, i love the streak, but we saw it happen last year, are they streaking too early again this year?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It only becomes a problem if it becomes the focus and goal and drains a team. I do not sense that anyone, among the fans or players, is getting all riled up about a ten game win streak. It sounds obnoxious, but there is a lot of 'been there done that before, several times' kind of thing so I think that the fans, and more importantly the players, have the eye on a bigger prize. If that changes then yes it becomes a problem.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Educated fans? I don't think so, that tends to be the realm of idiots.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
There is no such thing as streaking early. Every win is good and gets us closer to the goal and demonstrates a more complete team. I would rather be winning now than saving it for later... whatever that means.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Educated fans? I don't think so, that tends to be the realm of idiots.

Educated fans will tell you that there's no such thing as "streaking too early" or "streaking at the wrong time". Wins are wins, points are points, and you get as many as you can while you can.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
This "streaking too early" talk is nonsense. Don't teams try to win every game?

"Okay guys, 10 wins was a nice run, but maybe it's time we dropped one just because you know..."

They shouldn't get too invested in the streak, but they should try to win every game possible.

Bengui

Jul 24, 2009
I know this is probably on the mind of any educated hockey fan. Sure, i love the streak, but we saw it happen last year, are they streaking too early again this year?

puh-lease...
"Streaking too early" probably doesn't exist at all in an educated fan's vocabulary. It's just a by product of the gambler's fallacy, and a general misunderstanding of sports and statistics.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As for the topic. Obviously the Flyers are doing this much better than the Pens. I see their sneaky plan now. Avoiding the problem with peaking and all.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
puh-lease...
"Streaking too early" probably doesn't exist at all in an educated fan's vocabulary. It's just a by product of the gambler's fallacy, and a general misunderstanding of sports and statistics.

I never played competitive hockey so this may not apply to it, but I know when I was a cross country and track athlete every coach i've ever had planned for a peak period of performance usually geared to last 2-3 weeks for the most important meets of the year. So the idea of "peaking" doesn't seem to be a gamblers fallacy for some sports at least.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This would make a great avatar theme.

Or even in the lines of this.:laugh:

Trautman: You did everything to make this private war happen. You've done enough damage. This mission is over, Rambo. Do you understand me? This mission is over! Look at them out there! Look at them! If you won't end this now, they will kill you. Is that what you want? It's over Johnny. It's over!
Rambo: Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! And I come back to the world and I see all those maggots at the airport, protesting me, spitting. Calling me baby killer and all kinds of vile crap! Who are they to protest me? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

Bengui

Jul 24, 2009
I never played competitive hockey so this may not apply to it, but I know when I was a cross country and track athlete every coach i've ever had planned for a peak period of performance usually geared to last 2-3 weeks for the most important meets of the year. So the idea of "peaking" doesn't seem to be a gamblers fallacy for some sports at least.

True. A lot of things apply to individual sports but not team sports, and vice-versa.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The Penguins have fallen short of a top 3 seed the last few years, and they've suffered for it. So i'll take peaking early.. if it means a better round 1 match up
Yeah, the 4-5 matchup is typically a killer. I'll take the 1-8 and take on Carolina or Winnipeg any day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad