Peaking too early?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Considering the short season, normally, this is when you want to be picking up, right?

I don't think they're peaking to early, there's only how many games left? The trade deadline would have already happen if it were a regular season.

fate

Apr 15, 2007
kind of hard to be peaking without the whole team on the ice

BeauKnows19

Mar 28, 2012
New Jersey
I don't think we are peaking, and if we were it wouldn't be a problem. This team is winning, and winning in different ways. One night, defense/goalie falls apart we win 6-5. Another night, we dominate a hard fought game and win 2-1, coming back in the final minutes of the game. And another, we score a few goals and Flower gets the shutout to show that he still is just as solid as ever. This team isn't just on a win streak, they're finding a different way to win each night, and almost every guy in the lineup is helping out. Not sure if anyone watches baseball, but this team reminds me of the Giants. They don't have all the best pieces, but they work well together and can put together a complete game. When the Giants won the World Series, a different player hit the winning run in each night. That's why they won the World Series. I'm a Yankee fan. In the playoffs practically 2 players were the only ones who hit the whole playoffs. One of them got injured and they lost. The Penguins are the Giants, not the Yankees.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeah I would be skeptical if they only kept winning in high scoring games like at first, but after the recent defensive efforts you can't really complain about anything. Whether they continue to play like this defensively is the big question.

HotCoffey

Feb 22, 2013
In a shortened season there's no such thing as peaking too early. Look at the hawks, they're not playing nearly to their level as during the streak and they're still considered the best in the league. Plus, I think the pens have an extra gear in them once Geno comes back.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
We're winning without Geno in the lineup, and it's mostly due to some consistent 2-way play, which is something guys weren't doing earlier in the year. If we add an extra winger to the mix and everyone's healthy for playoffs, I like where we're at.

fate

Apr 15, 2007
I'd be more worried about when Geno gets back. The team maybe playing more responsible due to his absence.

this is more of what worries me, remember when sid was out and we were playing good defensively then he came back and we tried to go pure offense and got killed

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's not even the winning streak I'm happy about, it's the fact the team is actually starting to tighten up defensively over the past 5 or 6 games during the streak.

I don't expect us to win all 18 remaining games, but I do hope that kind of defensive play will continue for the rest of the season and playoffs.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Count me amongst those who don't really buy into the "peaking early" theory. Winning in the playoffs is about staying consistent and catching some breaks. It's nothing to do with a team "peaking".

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
It's not even the winning streak I'm happy about, it's the fact the team is actually starting to tighten up defensively over the past 5 or 6 games during the streak.

I don't expect us to win all 18 remaining games, but I do hope that kind of defensive play will continue for the rest of the season and playoffs.

I agree, our defense has been great over the last 5 games.Still a net clearing d-man wouldn't hurt

Wasz

Apr 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't feel like they're peaking yet. Seems like the defensive side of the game is just starting to come to them, they're still working on the PK and there seems to be more attention being paid to staying disciplined.

Right now it doesn't have that "We're on kicking everyone's ass and Sid is coming back so we"ll be unstoppable!" kind of feel to it like years past. I really thought that kind of mentality has killed this team in the past so I hope they can avoid it.

Master Shake*

I dont think so. In fact I think we are learning that we can win against the odds. This has been a good stretch.

I would be more concerned if we kept having the jump out to 3-0 leads and give them up only to win 4-3 or in a SO.

We are seeing a team realizing its full potential. No panic. This will be invaluable in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad