Peaking too early?

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
I seem to remember last season (given it was a full season) we were real hot with about 15-20 games to go, then things went drastically downhill. I just can't help but wonder if we're peaking to early once again and I hope I'm wrong and just being pessimistic but do you think teams will figure us out again before the playoffs?

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
I thought this about Chicago.

It hasn't entered my mind with this team though, because I don't think we've peaked. This win streak is due to the fact that our defense has finally figured out how to play and is slowly adjusting to a better system. We're still experiencing some growing pains, we've just got enough sheer talent to win despite of that. I think this team will be a lot better three weeks from now.

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
Well, we played our best hockey the year we won the cup around the time of March, and it continued all the way into the playoffs. So I wouldn't say, "too early" at all.

I know you're not suggesting for them to lay off the gas pedal, but nonetheless, I'd much rather have my team show signs of playing well than worry about if they can get their act together.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I seem to remember last season (given it was a full season) we were real hot with about 15-20 games to go, then things went drastically downhill. I just can't help but wonder if we're peaking to early once again and I hope I'm wrong and just being pessimistic but do you think teams will figure us out again before the playoffs?

I think last season, for whatever reason, when Sid returned, it threw off the momentum the team had and yeah, this year it's different. The team is gelling a little more right now and with no one coming back all of a sudden or anything like that, I think they will be fine.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Not really.

Bylsma took over with 25 games left in 2009 and this 8 game streak started with 27 games left. Just a matter of being able to sustain it into the playoffs like we did in 2009 and haven't really done since.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think in order to avoid another collapse in the playoffs, Shero cannot fall in love with this team. Tanner Glass has been useless, and Kennedy, while he's been playing a little better as of late, looks confused out there way too often. I'd like to see Shero replace those two with some 3rd and 4th line grit forwards by the deadline. Madden brought up Eric Fehr and Matt Hendricks of the Capitals on his show a few days ago. If the Capitals accept they are out of the playoff race before the deadline, I wouldn't mind Shero making a move to get those two.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
I think last season, for whatever reason, when Sid returned, it threw off the momentum the team had and yeah, this year it's different. The team is gelling a little more right now and with no one coming back all of a sudden or anything like that, I think they will be fine.

The team went on a role when Crosby came back. It was with about 4 to 5 games left that they suffered amnesia and forgot how to play any semblance of defence.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
As long as they continue trending upward in terms of defense, it's fine. Last year, the team got sloppy during their win streaks and got into bad habits - especially defensively.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Peaked,? Let me tell you something. We haven't even begun to peak. And when we do peak, you’ll know. Because we will peak so hard, that everybody in Pittsburgh will feel it.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I hope not. Sure the Pens have a good record but a bunch of the wins this season, mostly early on, were sloppy hockey and masking problems. To be honest I haven't been happy with the Pens play until the past week or so.

I don't think any team looks that strong this year... even the Blackhawks. IMO the Cup is ripe for the pickings from the Pens to a team like the Jets.

I'm kind of interested to see how the Pens move along this year. Do they swing for the fences at the deadline or do they bring in some buyouts next year? I'm really, REALLY hoping the Pens don't overpay for anyone this year.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
they aren't peaking, they're just winning. There's a difference.

Peaking would involve them playing their best hockey at both ends of the rink, and the absence of Geno and recent insertion of Sunshine makes me think we've yet to see this team click on all offensive cylinders, at least in the top-6, and I think we all know this team still has cluster **** potential in its own end.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I hate when people talk about peaking too early in a season. You can never peak too quickly in a 48 game season where every point is needed.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I don't think we're peaking. We haven't even had Geno for the most part of the last few weeks. And even as well as we've played the last few games, those games were very close, aside from 3rd period outbursts of goals.

What I do worry about is Shero standing pat because we have been winning.

namsnoodle

Feb 27, 2013
Lets no worry about the past, or the future yet. Lets just take care of business now and take things one game at a time.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
It's less that we peaked too early last year than our D was suspect even during our hot streak at times, went into the toilet the final week or so of the season against the Islanders, then we never adapted when playing Philly.

What will help us this year is if Shero makes a trade to improve our skill and toughness on both sides of the puck, to compensate for the possibility that Bylsma may still have no alternate gameplan beyond jumbling lines, if things go bad in the playoffs.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
When we get Malkin back and the TDL comes and goes...then we will have a better idea. Enjoy the wins. If he go downhill against playoff teams in the last 10 or so games, then we worry.

100% correct about Shero not falling in love with this team. This team is good...but not 16 grueling playoff games won good.

New 3rd and 4th liners and maybe a depth top 6 guy and we'll contend. But...then again...it doesn't really matter...MAF is the one we have to worry about. If he was even average last playoffs...we annihilate Philly.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Yah I'd be curious to see a statistical analysis of teams who won the Cup that had a bit of a nose-dive in the 30 days or so leading up to the playoffs. That would pretty much prove it's a myth. Plus everyone's definition of "peaking" is different. If you win 8 in a row and lose 2 after that, are you no longer "peaking"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad