Peak: Messier, Howe, Lindros, Trottier, Clarke

Bennie

Nov 17, 2018
Clarke won a Selke during a period in which Trottier was in his prime. Clarke is also mentioned frequently in conversation for best two way forward a conversation I've never heard Trottier be mentioned in. I think Trotts is a great defender but never had to carry the type of workload defensively that Clarke had.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Clarke won a Selke during a period in which Trottier was in his prime. Clarke is also mentioned frequently in conversation for best two way forward a conversation I've never heard Trottier be mentioned in. I think Trotts is a great defender but never had to carry the type of workload defensively that Clarke had.

I wou;d absolutely go with Bobby Clarke. A Hell of a lot "edgier". Faster, and dare I say it, "smarter". Real Peckerwood out there. Stronger Leader, faster, superior player.

Reactions: CMitchelli

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I wou;d absolutely go with Bobby Clarke. A Hell of a lot "edgier". Faster, and dare I say it, "smarter". Real Peckerwood out there. Stronger Leader, faster, superior player.
Edgier means dirty, right? And that makes him a better player?
Wow, just wow.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Wow, just wow.

Howe was even dirtier then Clarke was but because he's been known as a kindly old man for so long people overlook this. I've read the only player he wouldn't hesitate to cheap shot was Beliveau.
Regardless if Clarke broke a dudes ankle or speared someone in the stomach. If it made his opponents fear him and he helped his team win it was worth it.

That being said I think Trottier was better then Clarke. I'd take Clarke over Messier/Lindros easily though.

Reactions: CMitchelli

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Wow, just wow.

No, by "edgier" what I mean is that a guy has more "compete", that he's a true Money Player. Comes through when the chips are down & thrives in pressure situations. Bob Pulford, Henri Richard, Keon & Gilmour, Bob Gainey, Paul Henderson.... These (and others) were "edgy".... Edgy can also include provided the guys got the aforementioned a mean mouth and a "threat" of violence, danger. A guy like Mark Messier for example. He was "edgy" and sure, sometimes dirty as was Gordie Howe, Stan Mikita, Ted Lindsay, Derek Sanderson and plenty of others.

Reactions: Tarantula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad