Peak Hasek season vs '21 McDavid

Hasek vs McDavid

• Total voters

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
tough to compare

but Hasek did it in a season that was both a full season and without all this Covid schedule/division weirdness so McDavid's would need to be substantially better to be better and i'm confident in saying it definitely wasn't that

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
That Hasek run in the 1998 Olympics was, in my opinion, the greatest performance in the history of the sport.
2nd would be Lemiuex's performance in the 1991 playoffs.
3rd would be Gretzky's 215 point season.

McD and Hasek's regular seasons are pretty comparable. Both carried pretty mediocre teams and played out of their minds. Hard call for sure. That being said It's pretty hard to compete with Gretzky having 4 200 point regular seasons to his name for best regular season ever. Seems like Gretzky has the top 4 regular seasons (hell maybe top 8) followed by Lemieux's 199.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Lets wait till McDavid's playoff is over becasue Hasek's peak regular season including carrying a garbage Buffalo team to the Stanley Cup Finals... he wasn't a regular season wonder.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Hasek's accomplishments are even more impressive when you look at the junk that he played behind.
Yeah, it's one thing for a forward to score a bunch of points on a subpar roster but it's another for a guy to carry a subpar team to the Finals during the peak of the late 1990s powerhouses. What Hasek did at his best was other-worldly. The top five skaters on that Buffalo squad were Peca, Satan, Brown, Zhitnik and Woolley... unbelievable.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, I never liked Hasek. I felt like he ruined the whole game in the late 90's. I can't not vote against him. So glad he at least lost in '99. Golden Brett FTW

Reactions: bobholly39

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Yeah, I never liked Hasek. I felt like he ruined the whole game in the late 90's. I can't not vote against him. So glad he at least lost in '99. Golden Brett FTW
How exactly did he ruin the game, outside of being better than everyone else? Outside of Lemieux, there was no single player who was more impactful on their team's success during the 1990s than Hasek. Funny enough, he was so uniquely good, that he didn't actually impact the goaltending position to the extent that Roy and Brodeur did, since nobody could even do what he did.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
How exactly did he ruin the game, outside of being better than everyone else? Outside of Lemieux, there was no single player who was more impactful on their team's success during the 1990s than Hasek.
He didn't let in enough goals.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Yeah, it's one thing for a forward to score a bunch of points on a subpar roster but it's another for a guy to carry a subpar team to the Finals during the peak of the late 1990s powerhouses. What Hasek did at his best was other-worldly. The top five skaters on that Buffalo squad were Peca, Satan, Brown, Zhitnik and Woolley... unbelievable.

Hasek took a terrible team to one OT goal away from game 7. That has to be his most impressive accomplishment. Dallas's 4th or 5th best player would've been the best forward on Buffalo.

I don't think many would've complained too much had he won the Conn Smythe in a losing effort.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
'98 Olympics Hasek is probably top of the list for greatest performance in hockey history.

Overall stats:

5-1
1.00 GAA
.965 SV%

The 3 game run to Gold went:

4-1 W vs USA. Stopped 38 of 39 shots
2-1 W vs CAN. Stopped 30 of 31 shots, and a perfect 5 for 5 in the shoot out
1-0 vs RUS. Stopped all 20 shots faced

So against the US, Canada and Russia, he had a stat line of:

3-0
0.67 GAA
.978 SV%

Oh, and he did this in the middle of winning the Hart, Pearson (Lindsay) and Vezina back to back

Last edited:

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Impossible to compare. BUT. The best goalie ever can win you more games than pretty much any forward. Probably including Gretz

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
How exactly did he ruin the game, outside of being better than everyone else? Outside of Lemieux, there was no single player who was more impactful on their team's success during the 1990s than Hasek. Funny enough, he was so uniquely good, that he didn't actually impact the goaltending position to the extent that Roy and Brodeur did, since nobody could even do what he did.

Tim Thomas... similar style as Dom. Maybe Dom did have some influence

As for McDavid vs Dom... Dom had a SP about 4 standard deviations above the average NHL goalie. For McDavid to get to that realm, he'd need to have a season where he puts up 170-200 points. That's how dominant Dom was

'98 Olympics Hasek is probably top of the list for greatest performance in hockey history.

Overall stats:

5-1
1.00 GAA
.965 SV%

The 3 game run to Gold went:

4-1 W vs USA. Stopped 38 of 39 shots
2-1 W vs CAN. Stopped 30 of 31 shots, and a perfect 5 for 5 in the shoot out
1-0 vs RUS. Stopped all 20 shots faced

So against the US, Canada and Russia, he had a stat line of:

3-0
0.67 GAA
.978 SV%

Oh, and he did this in the middle of winning the Hart, Pearson (Lindsay) and Vezina back to back

I'd say the 1998 Olympics was one of the greatest performances in all of sports. Better than Tigers 15 shot win at Pebble in 2000 even. Dom was that dominant. After allowing a first period goal in the quarterfinals, the only player to score on him was Richard Smehlik, his own defenseman who always scored own goals, at the end of the Canada game

Last edited:

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Lets wait till McDavid's playoff is over becasue Hasek's peak regular season including carrying a garbage Buffalo team to the Stanley Cup Finals... he wasn't a regular season wonder.

Yup, and that team had zero business being in the SCF. Hasek was on another level.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
if we consider this season to be McDavid's best (56 games), then no its not better than Hasek's best ( 72 games in 97-98), which is widely considered the greatest single season ever by a goaltender.

Reactions: Mbraunm

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005

so a few more days then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad