GDT: PDF/WCSF Sharks (3) vs Golden Knights (1) Round 2 GAME TWO 5pm NBC

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I'll give the Sharks cred for a nice bounceback game. We got a series here dudes, and that's not a bad thing. Still like our chances, let's get it in game 3.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
Is it just me or is the ice really choppy this evening? The Golden Knights forwards are having difficulty controlling passes and making plays.
TBH before the start of the 3rd period I noticed that the between-period resurfacing left more skate cuts than normal. Not saying thebice was choppy but this stood out. I wondered if it was the effect of more frequent hot days.

Then again there are NHL standards for ice temps.

Hm.

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
Fans in the arena cheered when the ref came back and ruled that Burns goal good. It was really bizarre.

Not sure if folks heard the red say “no” (as in “no interference”) and thought he meant “no goal”, or that they didn’t recognize what the “good goal” hand signal is, but the place erupted after the call—rally towels and all.

Or maybe one person cheered and that set off a chain reaction. Even my 9yo was like “WTF?”

Maybe it was the Saturday night nature of the game that attracted a larger amount of people out for the novelty vs hard core fans. I did see lots of REALLY sloppy drunks tonight (esp females).

Hmmm.

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
Vegas can easily clean up the mistakes that led to all 3 regulation goals. Undisciplined penalty led to Burns PP goal. 2nd goal, MAF should have froze the puck. 3rd goal Miller pushed Shark into MAF, allowing Burns the wrap-around.

Sharks didn’t outplay the Knights on any of those goals, only capitalized on mistakes.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
after watching the disallowed goal again, it looks like Jones either sold it and moved himself out of position or he lunged forward to hang on to his stick and took himself out of position.

The contact wasn't what pushed Jones to the right, out of the blue paint. Iffy call but what can you do.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Not pretty. What can I say ... especially with some of those crazy calls on the ice? See everyone in San Jose.

GGFohmyCERT.gif

Last edited:

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Boys and girls in Vegas, tough loss tonite. Love your team and as an impartial fan I'm rooting for your team this series.

Canuck fan for 40 years (yeah...glutton for punishment) so trust me when I say that I feel for you guys tonight. However I'm going to give you all a little knowledge that I want to take to heart - otherwise you will let this game eat you up.

When it comes to officiating in the regular season a penalty is a penalty no matter what time of the game it occurs in, nor the circumstance.

But we all need to realize that when it comes to the playoffs the rules of play are a completely different animal. You need to know this - the referees will NEVER give a team a win in the playoffs - ever. When it comes to a 50-50 call on a goal you can be rest assured that the goal will almost never be allowed. If the opposition team goes into the penalty box you can almost be assured that the referees will even it up as soon as humanly possible by either negating the power play, or giving the opponents a power play shortly thereafter.

The only penalties that will be called are obvious penalties where if the official misses it he would be badly criticized and thus can't avoid calling it. Otherwise there's a saying "the whistles go into the pockets" especially as the playoffs go deeper and the later in the game it is. And if lady luck is on your side and your team advances into the next round or heaven forbid into the finals, you're going to be witness to unimaginable hacking and slashing and crosschecks and you're going to find it incredulous that the referees seem to miss most of them.

This is all by design. The league does not want to give a team a win in the playoffs. If a team is going to win a game, a series, or the cup they must TAKE it and there be no question they deserve it.

As soon as there was any question that there might be goalie interference in OT there was no way that goal was going to be allowed.

We as fans have all been where you are tonite (believe me...Canucks fans know) and it can be such a hateful place to be. But from many respects this is also why we as long time hockey fans love this game too. The team that wins the cup has to punch, kick, bite, claw, kill or die to earn it. I'm sure some of you were exhausted just watching this game tonite - you're only into game 2 of the 2nd round. Just wait until you get 2 months into playoff hockey and see how exhausted you are - and you aren't even playing. These players are going to war - and for your boys there just getting into it now - and there's still a looooooong way to go yet, especially if they're going to win it.

These kids are going to break their fingers, lose their teeth, suffer incredible pain and be exhausted physically and mentally if they manage to delve past this 2nd round. Its a war of attrition and its supposed to be that way. Right now it may have seemed easy with 5 wins in a row until tonite. I promise you it won't be. And I can also promise you that if you guys do end up ever winning the cup you wouldn't want it any other way either.

Keep your chins up boys and girls. You're only at game 3...your team needs to go into enemy territory and win at least one of two and get home ice advantage back!!! Positive vibes!!

Go KNIGHTS!!!!!
As a Canuck fan, you should know that if that Marchessault goal was against the Canucks, it would'e counted every time.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Fans in the arena cheered when the ref came back and ruled that Burns goal good. It was really bizarre.

Not sure if folks heard the red say “no” (as in “no interference”) and thought he meant “no goal”, or that they didn’t recognize what the “good goal” hand signal is, but the place erupted after the call—rally towels and all.

I think they heard "no goal" not "no goaltender interference".

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
after watching the disallowed goal again, it looks like Jones either sold it and moved himself out of position or he lunged forward to hang on to his stick and took himself out of position.

The contact wasn't what pushed Jones to the right, out of the blue paint. Iffy call but what can you do.

You and many others seem to be ignoring physics. If you come from behind and push on the stick either the goalie has to drop his stick forward or he's going to be knocked a bit sideways. Maybe Jones went a little more sideways than seems reasonable, but that's the surprise effect of getting hit from behind. Plenty of calls I could disagree with and lots of calls the refs could have made to even up the power plays, but that interference I can't complain about. Its a sneaky play by an offensive player and Marchy knew what he was doing. There is no need to get that close to the goalie because you always want to go by with a little space in case you can get a deflection or a rebound. If you are a foot away, neither is likely to work as they would just go right into the goalie. Three feet away and both are much more effective.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Massive eyeroll at some on here bending backwards to seem the most unbiased. It was a questionable no goal call. Just leave it at that. Could have gone either way, and with how GI has been called all year long you may have expected it to go the other way.

The bigger issue is the one sided reffing, especially in OT. The Knights were chippier but not THAT much chippier.

I could understand the high stick call because he got him in the face. And it was the first call of OT. That's fine.

But with everything going on by both teams in OT, for the game to be decided on a crap hooking call a minute after giving them another PP, it was bad officiating.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

JasonCable

Sep 28, 2014
TBH before the start of the 3rd period I noticed that the between-period resurfacing left more skate cuts than normal. Not saying thebice was choppy but this stood out. I wondered if it was the effect of more frequent hot days.

Then again there are NHL standards for ice temps.

Hm.

It was 63 degrees at the top of the building last night, so I don't think the heat was a factor.

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
I think they heard "no goal" not "no goaltender interference".
Which is why the official signals “good goal.”

Anyway, the cheering was off the charts loud at that point.

Just nice when people know why they are cheering. That particular moment was like a crowd attracting a larger crowd.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Which is why the official signals “good goal.”

Anyway, the cheering was off the charts loud at that point.

Just nice when people know why they are cheering. That particular moment was like a crowd attracting a larger crowd.
That cheer was embarrassing. Ppl around me were looking around like confused puppies over the cheering.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I honestly thought it was goalie intereference. The problem is that the NHL is so inconsistent with these calls that nobody really knows what is goalie intereference these days.

But ask yourself this. If the roles reversed where it was a sharks player that knocked into Fleury and resulted in a goal, wouldn't you be shouting goalie intereference?

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
That cheer was embarrassing. Ppl around me were looking around like confused puppies over the cheering.
it seemed like there were a lOT more people who were totally lit. sloppy. was it because it was a saturday game? maybe.

security threatened to toss a few folks (and honestly i think they should have tossed one person, despite being a petite female).

Carogan

Apr 29, 2018
As a Canuck fan, you should know that if that Marchessault goal was against the Canucks, it would'e counted every time.

lol! Hal, if you know the Canucks history then you know my pain and you know I'm being real then too!

I have seen them take a two game lead in the Finals, seen them to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals twice and had it come down to the third period as a 1 goal game once.

And if as a Canucks fan I were being honest with you then I'd be disingenuous if I said that the Canucks ever "deserved" to win. They've been good enough to win - but they've never "deserved" to win in any of those series...the better team always won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->