GDT: PDF/WCSF Sharks (3) vs Golden Knights (1) Round 2 GAME 3 7pm NBC Sports

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
He wasn't getting any less than 5.75x5 after beating Kopitar head to head IMO. That number is only going to continue to go up.

6x5 is fine with me. Will be interesting to see what Hertl gets because he's in the same position going to RFA on a team with plenty of cap to spend next year, but has a lot more history of production although not as much this year. Also the better defense angle for Wild Bill which is really hard to say how much that translates into a contract.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Bench Tatar again

Don't wait till the second period to play good hockey

Better passes all around for f***'s sake.

Get the legs back. Whatever we did to win is whatever we did to win, but San Jose was the faster team tonight by far.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
6x5 is fine with me. Will be interesting to see what Hertl gets because he's in the same position going to RFA on a team with plenty of cap to spend next year, but has a lot more history of production although not as much this year. Also the better defense angle for Wild Bill which is really hard to say how much that translates into a contract.

July 1st could be a crazy day. Try and land a big fish (or two) then swing back to Perron and Karlsson and maybe ask for a hometown discount. Neal would be nice but I can't see it happening.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Bench Tatar again

Better passes all around for ****'s sake.

Get the legs back. Whatever we did to win is whatever we did to win, but San Jose was the faster team tonight by far.

I didn't see Tatar being that bad. The shot everyone wants to call out was rolling and he had a defender closing in. He's a bad fit on a line with Eakin, but really who scores much playing next to Cody? Eakin is like a quasi 4th liner, counted on to move play down the ice and taking away offensive zone time for the opponents scorers. So if Tatar gets chances it will come from Perron who is also poorly slotted on this line. In the offensive zone with puck Eakin just seems like a turnover machine. Sure they could put Carpenter out there instead, but the chances it matters are pretty low.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lifting this from my post on the main boards RE: Karlsson

I didn't watch him much pre-draft. Think I caught maybe 1 or 2 of his games.

All I know is what I saw in Anaheim in his debut. He looked legit. He had the tools and you could tell he was a smart player but he was lacking experience and tenacity, and over time he started lacking in confidence.

When he came to Vegas he actually looked awful. He started on the third line while I was hoping we'd trade or waive him. But he started getting better game by game, moved up to the top line which...at the time...I thought was insane. But he found chemistry with Smith and Marchesseault almost immediately. And a lot of his production at first came purely as a result of that chemistry and Marchesseault's insane set ups. But the more confidence he got the more he started doing things on his own. I'll even say that the last week of the season up until now is the best independent hockey of his career. He's now the one making things happen. His passes are crisp, he's generating chances on his own. I think Marchesseault and Smith being rusty post injury has forced Karlsson to expand his game and we're seeing the results now. He may not ever be a 40 goal scorer again, but he is a legit top 6 talent at worst.

And again, the defensive side of his game can't be understated, he plays a very subtle yet very effective defensive game and for that reason I hope McPhee does what he has to to keep the kid in Vegas.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Bench Tatar again

Better passes all around for ****'s sake.

Yeah he sucks. He should have kept skating since his sole skill is his speed and then shoot the puck. Instead he doesn't trust his hands and shoots an inaccurate clapper. Maybe give Lindberg a chance? I'd flip Nosek and Carp. I like Nosek on the 3rd line and Carp on the 4th if Carp is getting back in the lineup. I still fail to see how Tatar is insurance for Neal. I think he'll play better next year, but is still by no means even close to Neal as an overall player.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I didn't see Tatar being that bad. The shot everyone wants to call out was rolling and he had a defender closing in. He's a bad fit on a line with Eakin, but really who scores much playing next to Cody? Eakin is like a quasi 4th liner, counted on to move play down the ice and taking away offensive zone time for the opponents scorers. So if Tatar gets chances it will come from Perron who is also poorly slotted on this line. In the offensive zone with puck Eakin just seems like a turnover machine. Sure they could put Carpenter out there instead, but the chances it matters are pretty low.

I disagree. If the puck was rolling that bad, he had time & space to settle it down or take it right to the net. The guy literally never makes a positive impact when he's on the ice.

Whether it's nerves or lack of chemistry with his linemates, he simply can't seem to find his game since he's arrived.

Luckily, he had zero impact either way in tonight's game. The bigger question moving forward is do we continue to leave him in the lineup for this playoff run. I don't even want to think about next year yet, but his contract already feels like an albatross. Right now this is looking like a really bad trade.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Tatar is allergic to scoring goals. If there's a way to not score a goal, dude will find it.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Tonight was also proof positive that McPhee should keep both Neal & Perron around. Felt like whenever they were out there, together or separately, they were both causing havoc in the Sharks end.

It was obvious that the guys were nervous to start the first period, but all 3 cagey veterans, Fleury included, were pivotal in steadying the ship.

If the plan was to replace either one of them with Tatar, McPhee better have a solid Plan B.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad