PC vs Console? Which game platform better?

PC vs Console? Which game platform better?

• Total voters

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That was his point, I believe. It's an exaggeration to characterize console gaming as Madden and Call of Duty, just as it is to characterize PC gaming as grindy, online time wasters. That's being as unfair to PC gaming as PC gamers sometimes are towards console gaming. I understand your point that there tends to be more charm found in console games than PC games, but I don't think that it's fair to compare what you like best about consoles to what you like least about PC. That's like a PC gamer praising the PC because it produces deep titles like Civilization and Pillars of Eternity and knocking consoles because they produce yearly-regurgitated titles like Madden and Call of Duty. If you want to compare what you feel are the worst examples of PC games, perhaps the worst examples of console games would be a more fairer comparison.
I'm calling the false equivalence between the two an exaggeration, not the fact that these more prominent games are being used to represent the quality of the platform. The games listed were far MORE at the forefront of PC gaming than Call of Duty or Madden were ever at the forefront of console gaming. Starcraft, Minecraft, and Half Life 2 were not merely popular crowd-pleasing junk-food that didn't leave much of an actual mark like Call of Duty or Madden-- For the most part, the PC games listed are treated like actual revered and remembered cultural touch-stones alongside Mario and Zelda titles.

Keep in mind that the original comment I made was simply "I do abhor the types of games that are typically associated with PC gaming, though", not anything to do with condemning the entire platform or the best of the platform.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Starcraft, Minecraft, and Half Life 2 were not merely popular crowd-pleasing junk-food that didn't leave much of an actual mark like Call of Duty or Madden-- For the most part, they're treated like actual revered and remembered cultural touch-stones alongside Mario and Zelda titles.

I don't know about that.

There's a difference between popular games and revered games.

Games like Bioshock, System Shock 2, Portal 2, Planescape Torment, Grim Fandango, Homeworld are among the most highly regarded and rated games in PC history.

In some cases, they didn't even sell a lot of copies, but they're recognized in all of the "greatest PC games of all-time" lists all the same.

The equivalent to StarCraft is something like Halo.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't know about that.

There's a difference between popular games and revered games.

Games like Bioshock, System Shock 2, Portal 2, Planescape Torment, Grim Fandango, Homeworld are among the most highly regarded and rated games in PC history.

In some cases, they didn't even sell a lot of copies, but they're recognized in all of the "greatest PC games of all-time" lists all the same.

The equivalent to StarCraft is something like Halo.
But that's my point.

Call of Duty and Madden are treated like simply popular games and nothing more. I think the PC games listed are treated like they're more than that. They're pretty respected for at least being relative game-changers.

You often do see games like Minecraft and Half Life 2 and World of Warcraft on best of lists as well, partly because they were such phenomenons that are closely tied to the legacy of the platform itself. You almost never see Madden games in them, though, and you rarely see Call of Duty talked about as if it had an actual impact on anything.

It's a fair point to say "But these aren't the actual best games that are found when you look a little closer", but my comment didn't really have anything to do with that or suggest that they were.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
But that's my point.

Call of Duty and Madden are treated like simply popular games and nothing more. I think the PC games listed are treated like they're more than that. They're pretty respected for at least being relative game-changers.

You often do see games like Minecraft and Half Life 2 and World of Warcraft on best of lists as well, partly because they were such phenomenons that are closely tied to the legacy of the platform itself. You almost never see Madden games in them, though, and you rarely see Call of Duty talked about as if it had an actual impact on anything.

It's a fair point to say "But these aren't the actual best games that are found when you look a little closer", but my comment didn't really have anything to do with that or suggest that they were.

When I brought up CoD and Madden I was comparing them to PC games like Fortnight and DOTA, which easily draw the biggest player bases. I'm not a fan of WoW and always considered it kind of a separate entity, but I'm not sure why Minecraft of Half Life 2 is being brought up here.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
When I brought up CoD and Madden I was comparing them to PC games like Fortnight and DOTA, which easily draw the biggest player bases. I'm not a fan of WoW and always considered it kind of a separate entity, but I'm not sure why Minecraft of Half Life 2 is being brought up here.
I was referring to them because they all fit the description of the kinds of games that I associate with PC gaming and that I don't particularly care for. I didn't single out Fornite/DOTA because they're the worst examples of that group (or because I dislike the specific qualities that make them that), they were used as examples because they happen to be recent-ish big ones that fit the description.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
Like I said in my other post while there's the obvious high end high cost PC market you can also go in the completely opposite direction and make it cheap enough that consoles look expensive.

Oh, I completely agree and love the flexibility that computers offer.

My statement kind of hinged on the "For the average person" part. If the consumer is willing to put forth the effort, PC is better, however, a lot of people don't want to put forth that effort. For a lot of those people, it's the $300 ready-to-play-ish console or nothing.

PilotRedSun

Aug 24, 2018
Are we comparing PC gaming library vs console gaming? Of course PC gaming is going to come up short when comparing it to the entire history of console gaming.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
But that's my point.

Aside from Modern Warfare inspiring/popularising a decade+ of online shooters, sure

Reactions: Aladyyn

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Aside from Modern Warfare inspiring/popularising a decade+ of online shooters, sure
Yea Modern Warfare was a huge influnencer in the genre, and one of the biggest ones in gaming since it's release.
Fair enough, I suppose. I could be wrong, but it just feels like a franchise that's treated more like a dismissed joke now, more-so than the PC games mentioned, which seem to be treated with more fondness and reverence, at least from what I hear from people.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Fair enough, I suppose. I could be wrong, but it just feels like a franchise that's treated more like a dismissed joke now, more-so than the PC games mentioned, which seem to be treated with more fondness and reverence, at least from what I hear from people.
Franchise =/= individual games, and also says nothing of how the genre was popularised on consoles by Modern Warfare. Anyone who does talk about Call of Duty as a whole would have much fonder recollection of the earlier games.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Franchise =/= individual games, and also says nothing of how the genre was popularised on consoles by Modern Warfare. Anyone who does talk about Call of Duty as a whole would have much fonder recollection of the earlier games.

When I talk about Call of Duty as a whole, I'm referring mostly to Modern Warfare and later. I treat the first two games, when it was a PC-first franchise, separately from those after, when it became a console-first franchise. I have very fond memories of the original Call of Duty and its sequel. They don't deserve to be lumped in with the later entries in the franchise, IMO.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
When I talk about Call of Duty as a whole, I'm referring mostly to Modern Warfare and later. I treat the first two games, when it was a PC-first franchise, separately from those after, when it became a console-first franchise. I have very fond memories of the original Call of Duty and its sequel. They don't deserve to be lumped in with the later entries in the franchise, IMO.

Despite some differences that comes with warfare logistics (WWII and MW) and general marketing, I feel like the first five CODs (COD to WaW) actually group well together. It was really with Modern Warfare 2 where the series seemed to change direction for me.

The first five titles felt casual authentic, if you will. While the games were hardly realistic, Infinity Ward and Treyarch put some time into making you feel like some kind of soldier, specialized or front line alike. Starting with Modern Warfare 2, level design shifted towards blockbuster action harder and harder.

Above all else, COD's insistence on being a multiplayer first series meant making a gamey game feel less tension filled to make way for tasteless storytelling decisions + shock and awe.

I still feel like Infinity Ward has the chops to make a great experience: Infinite Warfare provided a lot of evidence for this, despite its reception. Alas, it is clear now that Treyarch are the ones setting the "standard," if you will, and Infinity Ward will never be able to flex their true strengths like they once could.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Yeah I was deliberately vague when I said 'earlier games' because I know very little about the pre-MW ones, although I do know 3 was quite popular.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I've never understood why this is up for debate. Both platforms are viable options and I tend to maintain a PC for work and online play, while owning a Switch and PS4 for console gaming exclusives. I tend to gravitate to the PC for indie titles and games where graphics are of greater importance to me, while I use my PS4 for mainstream titles and the switch for Nintendo first party titles and others that lend themselves to portability. I find that my PC is superior for totally immersive experiences while my Switch is truly appreciated when traveling for work. The PS4 on the other hand is best for playing games with my wife or checking out third party console exclusives. At the end of the day it's whats most important to you and it's not really up to anyone else to decide. I also don't put much solace in the couch and larger television option as my 1440P display with HDR is just as enjoyable as my 50" 4k television for different reasons, there's also the Steam Link or other streaming options if you want to play PC games on your TV. I also find that in it's current state the PSVR isn't really that much worse than the vive or oculus. Yes they boast better displays but the PSVR is more affordable and most of my favorite experiences like Beat Saber are negligibly different visually.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I've never understood why this is up for debate. Both platforms are viable options and I tend to maintain a PC for work and online play, while owning a Switch and PS4 for console gaming exclusives. I tend to gravitate to the PC for indie titles and games where graphics are of greater importance to me, while I use my PS4 for mainstream titles and the switch for Nintendo first party titles and others that lend themselves to portability. I find that my PC is superior for totally immersive experiences while my Switch is truly appreciated when traveling for work. The PS4 on the other hand is best for playing games with my wife or checking out third party console exclusives. At the end of the day it's whats most important to you and it's not really up to anyone else to decide. I also don't put much solace in the couch and larger television option as my 1440P display with HDR is just as enjoyable as my 50" 4k television for different reasons, there's also the Steam Link or other streaming options if you want to play PC games on your TV. I also find that in it's current state the PSVR isn't really that much worse than the vive or oculus. Yes they boast better displays but the PSVR is more affordable and most of my favorite experiences like Beat sabre are negligibly different visually.
The main problem with Beat Saber on PSVR vs PC is the fact that you can download literally thousands of custom tracks. The library for the Playstation version is quite limited and I feel like I would have stopped playing it long ago if I didn't have custom tracks. But that's another pro for PC, mods.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I've never understood why this is up for debate. Both platforms are viable options and I tend to maintain a PC for work and online play, while owning a Switch and PS4 for console gaming exclusives. I tend to gravitate to the PC for indie titles and games where graphics are of greater importance to me, while I use my PS4 for mainstream titles and the switch for Nintendo first party titles and others that lend themselves to portability. I find that my PC is superior for totally immersive experiences while my Switch is truly appreciated when traveling for work. The PS4 on the other hand is best for playing games with my wife or checking out third party console exclusives. At the end of the day it's whats most important to you and it's not really up to anyone else to decide. I also don't put much solace in the couch and larger television option as my 1440P display with HDR is just as enjoyable as my 50" 4k television for different reasons, there's also the Steam Link or other streaming options if you want to play PC games on your TV. I also find that in it's current state the PSVR isn't really that much worse than the vive or oculus. Yes they boast better displays but the PSVR is more affordable and most of my favorite experiences like Beat sabre are negligibly different visually.

Well like I posted earlier in the thread, why can't you discuss the merits of either platform recognizing that one is overall stronger while also recognizing that regardless of that a persons specific circumstances may make one of the options a better pick for them?

Reactions: Aladyyn

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well like I posted earlier in the thread, why can't you discuss the merits of either platform recognizing that one is overall stronger while also recognizing that regardless of that a persons specific circumstances may make one of the options a better pick for them?

I think there are too many differences to be definitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad