PC Building Guide and Discussion #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
How is that? I'm left handed and I've always done the typical right hand on the mouse, WASD position for left hand.

I get a lot less confused as to where my fingers are if I need to move (like I can get lost doing WASD sometimes). There are some games though that don't support the keypad properly.

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
That ASUS ROG Maximus mobo is expensive and sweet. Might be nit-picky on my part for a case but I'd opt at least for a newer model with a USB 3.x front panel connector ports. The newer cases have it, the older ones don't (some just have USB 2.0). THat Asus mobo has an available USB 3.2 Gen 2 front panel connector port, be a shame not to use it. Most cases just have USB 3.1 ports though, you might be losing some bandwidth there unfortunately (from 3.2), not sure. But it's better than just 2.0. Also a good indicator on the model age of the PC case, if it has front panel USB 3.x or not.

I was leaning towards the Lian Li O11D XL

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Man, being a lefty, I legit cannot work with something that is TKL.
I get a lot less confused as to where my fingers are if I need to move (like I can get lost doing WASD sometimes). There are some games though that don't support the keypad properly.

I guess that what you're saying is that you use the keypad for actions like jump, crouch, reload and so on? Yeah, right handers usually use the keys surrounding WASD for those and don't use the keypad at all. The keypad just takes up extra space on the right side that could be given to the mouse. TKL keyboards are pretty popular with gamers because they have more mouse freedom with them.

There was a time when I scoffed at keyboards without keypads. I even bought a laptop with one as recently as 11 years ago. I never used it and have come to realize that I can easily live without it. I keep a full-sized keyboard around just in case, though, because some older games, especially from the 90s, used the keypad, such as the first few Tomb Raiders.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
For me with a keyboard in FPS games:

Arrow keys - moving around
Num 1 - Use
Num 0 - Reload
Num 2 - Grenade throw
Num 3 - Switch fire modes
Num 4 - Usually some sort of healing
Num 7 - Prone
Right Ctrl - Crouch
Right Shift - Jump

Those are the basics for me.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Had been thinking of upgrading my monitor and I went ahead and snagged this one today
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0862YHJ56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had never heard of the brand but my best friend said he loves the monitors from them.

Another buddy of mine is willing to sell me his RTX 2080 TI for $400, so I'm thinking of doing that over the 3070 that releases next month, plus (from my understanding of what I've seen through benchmarks) it doesn't seem like the 3080 is THAT much of an upgrade over the 2080 TI anyways(?). Plus I still need to buy a new cpu, so I could just put the money I would save towards that, but I'm not currently sure what cpu to go for.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Had been thinking of upgrading my monitor and I went ahead and snagged this one today
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0862YHJ56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had never heard of the brand but my best friend said he loves the monitors from them.

Another buddy of mine is willing to sell me his RTX 2080 TI for $400, so I'm thinking of doing that over the 3070 that releases next month, plus (from my understanding of what I've seen through benchmarks) it doesn't seem like the 3080 is THAT much of an upgrade over the 2080 TI anyways(?). Plus I still need to buy a new cpu, so I could just put the money I would save towards that, but I'm not currently sure what cpu to go for.

3080? it is much better than 2080ti.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
3080? it is much better than 2080ti.
I know it's better, I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I should really go for it or not. 2080TI would still be absolutely fine for a couple of years I'm assuming(?) I'm just trying to think financially if it would really be worth it or not to spend the extra $300 and then an extra $150-200+ for a new CPU, where I could just get the 2080TI from my friend + a new cpu for less then the price I would be paying for the 3080 alone. I'm definitely no expert in these matters. This will also be my first time experiencing playing on a monitor that can go above 1920 x 1080 as well though.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I know it's better, I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I should really go for it or not. 2080TI would still be absolutely fine for a couple of years I'm assuming(?) I'm just trying to think financially if it would really be worth it or not to spend the extra $300 and then an extra $150-200+ for a new CPU, where I could just get the 2080TI from my friend + a new cpu for less then the price I would be paying for the 3080 alone. I'm definitely no expert in these matters. This will also be my first time experiencing playing on a monitor that can go above 1920 x 1080 as well though.

It might matter what your current CPU is. Since you're talking about only upgrading the CPU, I imagine that you have an AMD CPU now, probably a Ryzen 1x00 or 2x00? If it's 1x00, I'm not sure, but that might bottleneck a 3080 and prevent you from getting your $699 worth out of it. In that case, a lesser GPU model + a CPU upgrade might make more sense.

The way that I, personally, look at it is that you could spend $400+200=$600 to have last year's GPU (2080 Ti) and last year's CPU (Ryzen 3x00) now or wait a few months and get a Ryzen 5x00 and either an RX 6x00XT or RTX 3070 for not much more just so that you can feel good that you have the latest hardware and know that it'll likely last you an extra year or two. The gaming performance would likely be similar in either case, so are greater pride and peace of mind worth waiting for? That's totally for you to decide. I, personally, have decided to wait, save up and treat myself to AMD's latest CPU and GPU later this year or early next year. Unfortunately, I've gotten very used to having outdated hardware (not just one generation, but several generations old) and would like to have something new for once. I've waited so long that I can wait a few months more. I can appreciate that not everyone might want to wait, though.

Last edited:

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
It might matter what your current CPU is. Since you're talking about only upgrading the CPU, I imagine that you have an AMD CPU now, probably a Ryzen 1x00 or 2x00? If it's 1x00, I'm not sure, but that might bottleneck a 3080 and prevent you from getting your $699 worth out of it. In that case, a lesser GPU model + a CPU upgrade might make more sense.

The way that I, personally, look at it is that you could spend $400+200=$600 to have last year's GPU (2080 Ti) and last year's CPU (Ryzen 3x00) now or wait a few months and get a Ryzen 5x00 and either an RX 6x00XT or RTX 3070 for not much more just so that you can feel good that you have the latest hardware and know that it'll likely last you an extra year or two. The gaming performance would likely be similar in either case, so are greater pride and peace of mind worth waiting for? That's totally for you to decide. For myself, I've decided to wait, save up and treat myself to AMD's latest CPU and GPU later this year or early next year, but that's just me. I've, unfortunately, gotten very used to having outdated hardware (not just one generation, but several generations old) and would like to have something new for once, but that's just me. I've waited so long that I can wait a few months more. I can appreciate that not everyone might want to wait, though.
I have a Ryen 5 2600 as my CPU currently and I know it could use an upgrade.
I could probably just wait it out a couple of more months honestly.
Truth be told having something that I know could last an extra two years would probably be the better way of going about it.
Sometimes my weakness of being impatient with things can get the better of me :laugh:

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

I guess it depends on your budget.

the 2080ti is still a very good capable card. I personally would rather put that 400 dollars towards a card that is going to last a very long time. With that said you will have to see if your CPU benches good enough for the 3080. Your PSU might also need upgrading as well since the cards draw more power than the RTX 20 series cards.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I guess it depends on your budget.

the 2080ti is still a very good capable card. I personally would rather put that 400 dollars towards a card that is going to last a very long time. With that said you will have to see if your CPU benches good enough for the 3080. Your PSU might also need upgrading as well since the cards draw more power than the RTX 20 series cards.
Yeah I'm thinking I may just wait a bit and grab the 3080 and then a better cpu come around black friday or whenever I see a decent deal going on.
I'm currently working overtime for a few more weeks I believe so the extra money can go towards that. It would be nice to finally have a higher end card that would last for several years without really feeling like I would need to upgrade.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Yeah I'm thinking I may just wait a bit and grab the 3080 and then a better cpu come around black friday or whenever I see a decent deal going on.
I'm currently working overtime for a few more weeks I believe so the extra money can go towards that. It would be nice to finally have a higher end card that would last for several years without really feeling like I would need to upgrade.

Not a bad choice. As others have said they expect a 3080ti to most likely be released eventually, that might be an option for you.

Myself, I’m going to wait it out a bit to see if any news like that pops up.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I have a Ryen 5 2600 as my CPU currently and I know it could use an upgrade.
I could probably just wait it out a couple of more months honestly.
Truth be told having something that I know could last an extra two years would probably be the better way of going about it.
Sometimes my weakness of being impatient with things can get the better of me :laugh:

I hear you. I got impatient and ordered a Zen 2 CPU, cooler, motherboard and RAM last month. The CPU was backordered and still hadn't arrived a month later, though, so I cancelled it last week and returned the motherboard and RAM. The lack of stock basically made up my mind for me to wait for Zen 3. I'm kind of glad for it, though, because waiting really is the best option. Also, it encouraged me to overclock my ancient FX-6300 from 3.5GHz to 4.5GHz (with the help of the cooler, which is the only part that I kept), and I think that I squeezed enough juice out of it that my RX 570 is now the bottleneck. That's the same as if I would've gotten the Zen 2, so I'm not really any worse off until I upgrade the GPU, anyways. Everything is aligning for me to upgrade both in the near future... just as long as AMD doesn't throw any curveballs next month :laugh:.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puck

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Just popping in to say the PC I built back in June finally posted! I've been back from my home country a few weeks now and finally found the time to get it all going.

At first it wouldn't post but after re-seating my graphics card it's all good.

I'm still installing everything so no time for games yet, but so far it's almost silent. The nvme drive and big fat Be Quiet fan up front are excellent.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
You should've received a grey Esc key in the box. Oh, wait. You said that you bought it earlier this year, so you may have v3? I know that v4 comes with a grey Esc key because I asked Keychron support about it and one of the images on their website shows it (which I didn't look carefully enough at before asking):

Keychron-K1_v4-ultra-slim-wireless-mechanical-keyboard-87_keys-white-backlight-Gateron-low-profile-red-switch_500x5000.jpg

I got a version 4 I believe.

Hmm....I wonder if I just missed it in the box....

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
For me with a keyboard in FPS games:

Arrow keys - moving around
Num 1 - Use
Num 0 - Reload
Num 2 - Grenade throw
Num 3 - Switch fire modes
Num 4 - Usually some sort of healing
Num 7 - Prone
Right Ctrl - Crouch
Right Shift - Jump

Those are the basics for me.

I'm a lefty too and I'll raise you one worse. I've since learnt wasd but when I was a kid I had Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 on PC. The controls were arrow keys + num keys for tricks.

I put my right hand on the arrows and my left hand crossed over my right on the numpad. I could use a regular mouse fine but I didn't have enough dexterity in my right hand to co-ordinate tricks, so controlling movement with my right was a lot simpler.

I think it was before I figured out you could remap controls, and definitely before you could easily use console controllers on a PC.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The 30x0 launch has not been going smoothly. First, stock sold out in minutes because there wasn't enough of it and bots, scalpers and miners were gobbling the cards up. I read that this is probably due to the chips using Samsung's 8nm process node, which is new and doesn't have good yields yet.

Then, some people received 3080s from Newegg without boxes (supposedly, because they ran out of the boxed versions and filled them with OEM versions), and some were even damaged because of it. Newegg has promised to make things right, though.

Finally, some of the custom cards are crashing to the desktop because, apparently, the capacitors on them can't handle the cards being overclocked to the 2GHz+ speeds that some of the manufacturers are pushing them to. If you buy a 30x0, you might want to avoid the highly overclocked custom cards for now.

Manufacturers respond to GeForce RTX 3080/3090 crash to desktop issues - VideoCardz.com

Last edited:
Reactions: GreytWun

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
The 30x0 launch has not been going very well. First, stock sold out in minutes because there wasn't enough of it and bots, scalpers and miners were gobbling the cards up. I read that this is probably due to the chips using Samsung's 8nm process node, which is new and doesn't have good yields yet.

Then, some people who received 3080s from Newegg received OEM versions without boxes, and some were even damaged because of it. Newegg has promised to make things right, though.

Finally, some of the custom cards are crashing to the desktop because, apparently, the capacitors on them can't handle the cards being overclocked to 2GHz+ speeds that some of the manufacturers are pushing them to. If you buy a 30x0, you might want to avoid the highly overclocked custom cards for now.

Manufacturers respond to GeForce RTX 3080/3090 crash to desktop issues - VideoCardz.com

This is why first isn’t always great. I will gladly wait. Imagine being those people who lined up for days and they get a bad card.

New tech is going to have issues.

Reactions: Osprey

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Are wireless mechanical keyboards good for gaming? Any latency issues that might frustrate an enthusiast gamer? It used to be an issue a few years back, not sure today. If not anymore, I might be interested too to cut down on the wiring on the desk.
I can't say either way on gaming, don't do a lot of pc gaming, but I just upgraded my PC wireless keyboard and mouse to the MX Ergo mouse and the MX Keys keyboard from Logitech, and I would highly recommend both to anyone looking for high quality wireless pc peripheries.

My last wireless keyboard and mouse were both around $30 each and as they aged, it was clear that they were the wrong set for the job. The range was always spotty to begin with, but then line of site with the range became an issue as well and next thing you know I'm leaning forward and making sure nothing is obstructing to even use.

Last week I said screw it, looked for a new set... this time I spend $80+ for the Logitech MX Ergo mouse and $90 for the MX Keys keyboard also from Logitech. They arrived today and I just got them setup... and holy crap are these things awesome! The range is fantastic! I'm back to sitting kicked back on my couch in the loft over 8 feet away from the pc (I use a 48" tv as a monitor) with zero line of site and there is no issue at all. Range for both is listed at 10 meters :laugh:

The keys on the keyboard light up with my fingers just getting close. and I love that the mouse has a 20 degree magnetic tilt. They charge via usb, so no need to replace batteries every so often anymore either. Very solid construction, both have significant weighty feel to them, not a cheap empty plastic feel.

No observable lag, but then again, as I said, I'm not gaming with these things either.

VERY happy with both!

images

342e2568-b33f-41aa-897f-c5140044aab6.__CR0,0,1464,600_PT0_SX1464_V1___.jpg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Nvidia has just delayed the retail launch of the 3070 until Oct 29th in order to increase availability and try to avoid the shortages that happened with the 3080 and 3090.

As for AMD, I've read that the RX 6000 cards might be available Nov 14-20th (i.e. 2-3 weeks after their Oct 28th announcement) and their Zen 3 CPUs might be available Oct 20th (i.e. almost 2 weeks after their Oct 8th announcement).

Oh, speaking of Zen, the highly anticipated ClockTuner for Ryzen utility has been released. If you have a Zen 2 (Ryzen 3x00) processor and are comfortable with tweaking, you may want to check it out, as I've read that it can increase performance by about 5%.
ClockTuner for Ryzen (CTR) Guide by 1USMUS

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just read that the RTX 30x0 series will continue to suffer shortages through the end of the year... and that's coming from the Nvidia CEO during a Q&A.

He also made it clear, though, that it's not because there isn't enough supply; it's because there's too much demand :huh: :laugh:.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I just read that the RTX 30x0 series will continue to suffer shortages through the end of the year... and that's coming from the Nvidia CEO during a Q&A.

He also made it clear, though, that it's not because there isn't enough supply; it's because there's too much demand :huh: :laugh:.

As if anyone's buying that.

Sure, demand is higher because we're all home but most issues are supply side.

I'm just really not a fan of what they've become since cryptocurrency mining became popular. Like the 3090 - why not give it drivers so it can perform like a Titan RTX? Why not deliver a quality high-end product and test it properly so it doesn't crash at the slightest overclock in real world game experiences? Why not test actual games?

There has not been a single gesture of goodwill out of Nvidia. I hope the UK blocks their purchase of Arm because the last thing we need is them getting more control. They're starting to remind me of a more boring Apple. They can do better by the customer, they can give up some control for better products and experiences... but they won't. Just like Apple won't.

I'm venting a bit. I just think cryptocurrency has been terrible for the market and allowed Nvidia specifically to take advantage of consumers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puck

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Just to be clear, although there's debate in the comments about whether this is legit, the dust has settled on this, MSI admitted they own this seller and says it was done without knowledge of higher ups. The people who bought the scalped GPUs will be able to get either a full refund or the difference between the scalped price and MSRP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad