PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's like $4 on Steam so I grabbed it anyway.

<maximum savings>

This is a Crysis joke you'll get later.

I've had it installed for years so I don't remember if the benchmark is built in or if you have to download it. I have a batch file in the folder that runs the GPU and CPU benchmarks.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
<maximum savings>

This is a Crysis joke you'll get later.

I've had it installed for years so I don't remember if the benchmark is built in or if you have to download it. I have a batch file in the folder that runs the GPU and CPU benchmarks.

Couldn't find a benchmark built in. So far I've just fluffed around in the first little bit up to where they start shooting at you from a boat and just took note of my fps.

All settings maxed:
At full screen I got about 100fps but no vsync means a lot of screen tearing on my lowly TV.
Full screen vsync locked the frame rate at 24. Is that a common problem?
To get solid 60fps I had to use full screen windowed with vsync. No dipping, although I haven't been in a really big firefight yet.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
2600k and RX480. Crysis runs.... ok. nowhere near as good as it should for 9 years old.

honestly I dont even take it seriously as a benchmark any more. its filed with bloated outdated tech that isnt relevant any more. there are better looking games today that run much better

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I wish I had bought 16gb of RAM when I built my PC instead of 8, it was cheaper at the time. I want to upgrade, but I just can't justify it right now.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Lost a bid on a 3770k last night. Oh well I'll find one yet.

Couldn't find a benchmark built in. So far I've just fluffed around in the first little bit up to where they start shooting at you from a boat and just took note of my fps.

The bench should be in the bin32 folder in your install directory. They are .bat files. One for GPU and one for CPU.

honestly I dont even take it seriously as a benchmark any more. its filed with bloated outdated tech that isnt relevant any more. there are better looking games today that run much better

Well.....yeah. But it's fun!

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I'll have to try mine at 1080, I ran it at 2560x1080.
You'll probably get there or better then. I game on a TV and one regret I do have about going green is that I can't afford a gsync monitor anytime soon. Though even a basic higher refresh rate monitor would be nice.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Since we're having a laugh at Crysis, I decided to do a more srs 3Dmark bechmark of my PC. I really should have when I first built it, cause since then I've gone from a 960 to a 1060 and 8gb RAM to 16gb.

4023 on Time Spy and 10252 on Firestrike, everything stock. Not bad but it did just occur to me that I installed the darn thing on my hard drive not ssd. So imma reinstall and try again soon.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
4023 on Time Spy and 10252 on Firestrike, everything stock. Not bad but it did just occur to me that I installed the darn thing on my hard drive not ssd. So imma reinstall and try again soon.

Shouldn't matter really. In a game it might due to texture streaming but most benches dump everything they have into RAM first.

Unigine Superposition is a pretty rough benchmark if you want another one to run. It even has a "game" mode where you can walk around and interact inside the bench.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Shouldn't matter really. In a game it might due to texture streaming but most benches dump everything they have into RAM first.

Unigine Superposition is a pretty rough benchmark if you want another one to run. It even has a "game" mode where you can walk around and interact inside the bench.
Sweet. I might look into it.

Next step is to bench actual games I think. I haven't touched gtav in over a year and it's always hell to launch with updates.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Hats off to Newegg express shipping. Less than ten bucks more than standard and this was halfway round the world in 3 days, including the weekend.

819527393.jpg

Let the profit experiment begin.

Reactions: Kestrel

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
This might be a weird question but I've been using a ASUS USB-N53 Wireless-N600 Adapter for my wireless needs. Can't really have internet reach my room in the house otherwise. I'm thinking the stick might be getting old or something is acting up with my internet cause I'm getting disconnected like once every couple of hours or multiple times in a half hour span. Any suggestions for a new stronger/consistent wireless adapter, or a test I could run to try and diagnose my issues?

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
This might be a weird question but I've been using a ASUS USB-N53 Wireless-N600 Adapter for my wireless needs. Can't really have internet reach my room in the house otherwise. I'm thinking the stick might be getting old or something is acting up with my internet cause I'm getting disconnected like once every couple of hours or multiple times in a half hour span. Any suggestions for a new stronger/consistent wireless adapter, or a test I could run to try and diagnose my issues?
Technically not wireless but you could go for a powerline connection if you have the wall outlets to spare.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Is this for a laptop? Or is it a desktop that could take a wireless card?

Technically not wireless but you could go for a powerline connection if you have the wall outlets to spare.
I've always wanted to play with powerline, but I've never had a need that justified it.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
Is this for a laptop? Or is it a desktop that could take a wireless card?

I've always wanted to play with powerline, but I've never had a need that justified it.

It's for my desktop. I don't actually know what a wireless card is like. I had bought the stick for a laptop initially but have used it for my desktop since.

I've tried powerline but it seems the circuitry is all wrong for my house. Not willing to spend more money after it failed the first time.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
It's for my desktop. I don't actually know what a wireless card is like. I had bought the stick for a laptop initially but have used it for my desktop since.

I've tried powerline but it seems the circuitry is all wrong for my house. Not willing to spend more money after it failed the first time.
Are you comfortable opening up your desktop and seeing what slots it has available? A wireless card, if you have the slot for it, will be more reliable than a USB adaptor.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Yeah. Assuming your card is at fault and it's not the router.

A PCIe 1x wireless card like that just needs an unused PCIe 1x slot, or 16x slot. Usually somewhere below your video card, preferably as far away from it as possible for airflow reasons.

That card is an 802.11n card. If your router is 802.11ac you won't get full speeds. Most people are still running 802.11n though.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
Yeah. Assuming your card is at fault and it's not the router.

A PCIe 1x wireless card like that just needs an unused PCIe 1x slot, or 16x slot. Usually somewhere below your video card, preferably as far away from it as possible for airflow reasons.

That card is an 802.11n card. If your router is 802.11ac you won't get full speeds. Most people are still running 802.11n though.

I'm looking at the back of my computer. Not totally sure where that would fit on the B350 Tomahawk board I'm using.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm looking at the back of my computer. Not totally sure where that would fit on the B350 Tomahawk board I'm using.

It's installed in basically the same way as a video card.

If this is your board:
upload_2018-6-28_21-11-24.png

The green one is where you video card should be. If it will fit you could put the PCIe wireless card in the one I boxed in orange.

But for airflow reasons I would put the card in the PCIe port I boxed in blue.
The blue one is an x16 slot but x1 cards like the wireless card work just fine in them.

The bottom 2 ports are regular PCI ports, which are different.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
In what way would it work much better than the USB Adapter I currently use? For what it's worth, it seems like the past couple days there might have been issues anyway with my provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad