PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Yep. My system above is a 2500k. A few games hit it hard due to being 4 threads but most don't and it runs just as well on anything else.

Mobile is where things are interesting. My laptop can encode H.265 video faster than my desktop, due to extension support, and it's only 15 W vs 91 W of my desktop.

Desktop is bleh...still sort of kicking myself going from Lynnfield (Core i5 750) to Skylake (i5 6600k), since I had my 750 massively overclocked, and the performance between the two ended up so similar. There are other benefits, but sometimes I miss the days of the early 2000's. Now, I just figure that slapping in an SSD, maybe RAM will do more than a CPU upgrade could do. 4k is a different beast, and Windows needs to improve its high DPI support, but working with an 8 MP resolution screen in glorious in Lightroom. Some games are better than others (obviously), but they do look good too. Freesync is a nice perk too.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
.still sort of kicking myself going from Lynnfield (Core i5 750) to Skylake (i5 6600k)

I think that update is worth it for SATA3 and more marginally PCIe 3.0.

Lacking PCIe 3.0 does bottle neck middle end cards now. Not massively but as much as 5% depending on the game. But I expect that % will grow with the next couple GPU releases.

Intel was putting out lower TDP desktop CPUs (35W i7's) for a while but they seem to have slowed down there due to their core war with AMD.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
I have a problem with my microphone it started recently maybe with the new windows update. The mic shows up in recording devices but no sound is detected. If I set it to listen it sound is detected. I have tried changing settings and reinstalled my realtek drivers.

sQvzFTk

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I have a problem with my microphone it started recently maybe with the new windows update. The mic shows up in recording devices but no sound is detected. If I set it to listen it sound is detected. I have tried changing settings and reinstalled my realtek drivers.

Microphone is not working after the recent windows 10 update. - [Solved] - Windows 10

?

Guy from Tom's Hardware said:
>There's a microphone privacy options page. The latest insider's update has it blocking all apps by default.

>Hit Windows key and search for "microphone privacy settings"
>Hit "Allow access to the microphone on this device"
>Switch "Allow apps to access your microphone" to on

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Anyone know of a good intro level Linux course on Youtube? Atm, I'm goin with this:

I don't have any specific links or anything but just some general thoughts, particularly if you are looking into Linux for business/work purposes.
1. Try to do everything you need to do via the command line first.

2. Reorient your thinking around files and links. They are similar in concept to how they work on Windows but different in ways that can get you in trouble if you aren't careful.

3. Once you have some basics down like navigating the window manager vs command line shells and how the package manager works, I think it's better to aim to do specific things rather than more general tutorials. Set up an Apache server, DNS server, a proxy server, SMTP, etc.

4. That particularly video seems to spend a lot of time on Python and setting up repositories for code in the middle of it. Useful if you are interested in programing but not 100% related to learning the basics of Linux IMO.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Went into a shop the other day and the same 1060 I have is still retailing for $200 more than I bought it. Crazy.

I've been criminally under-utilising this card, but that'll change in September with Tomb Raider and hopefully another Forza Horizon.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Went into a shop the other day and the same 1060 I have is still retailing for $200 more than I bought it. Crazy.

I've been criminally under-utilising this card, but that'll change in September with Tomb Raider and hopefully another Forza Horizon.

Some positive signs recently:

JCJoVaV.jpg

3anI3yh.jpg

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Usually there's a switch over time when the manufacturers start putting out the new chips and the old stock is all that's left. Prices of the current stuff might actually go back up when they ramp up production for a launch of new cards. Normally the demand is pretty low in that time but right now it probably won't be.

What the launch prices are and what lines they put out first will be interesting. Nvidia usually stages their releases over a month or two so you'd probably see just the 1080 replacement first.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I still wonder if we'll even see a new mainstream NVIDIA card before 2019.

I doubt NVIDIA feels much pressure to release anything, unless they want to recapture some of the mid tier gamer sphere from the RX 570/580, where Radeon excels (I'm actually a bit surprised we haven't seen a modestly-improved GTX 1060 Ti launch to try to squeeze AMD out). They are still basically unchallenged in the high end side of things.

Unless they are banking on big bucks from enthusiasts upgrading, I don't see why they wouldn't ride the wave of the 10 series for a while longer.

I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think this is why I am okay with spending that much for a gaming chair. I don't see the Nvidia stuff coming out for a long time, so in turn, I don't need to get a G-Sync monitor either.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I think this is why I am okay with spending that much for a gaming chair. I don't see the Nvidia stuff coming out for a long time, so in turn, I don't need to get a G-Sync monitor either.

I think it depends on how much you value your time and/or sanity.

So much less tinkering with settings when G-Sync/FreeSync can match up your frame rate and refresh rate on the fly. ;)

It's a bit of a niche thing, but I love how it smooths everything out. Unfortunately, it's probably cheaper to buy a better graphics card than you need, and then lock it to your refresh rate than it is to buy a G-Sync monitor....at least it would be if MSRP mattered to anyone anymore.

But yeah, while a Volta Titan makes sense to keep the "Deep Learning" market advancing, I think NVIDIA can safely let the gamer market stagnate for a while. And no, I'm not just saying that because I managed to snag a cheap 1080 before they skyrocketed last year. :laugh:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I still wonder if we'll even see a new mainstream NVIDIA card before 2019.

I doubt NVIDIA feels much pressure to release anything, unless they want to recapture some of the mid tier gamer sphere from the RX 570/580, where Radeon excels (I'm actually a bit surprised we haven't seen a modestly-improved GTX 1060 Ti launch to try to squeeze AMD out). They are still basically unchallenged in the high end side of things.

Unless they are banking on big bucks from enthusiasts upgrading, I don't see why they wouldn't ride the wave of the 10 series for a while longer.

I guess we'll see.

Perhaps their biggest incentive is the release of GDDR6 memory, lower power draw and higher bandwidth over GDDR5. Samsung has been ramping up production since December, it should be at the point where supplies are readily available for graphic cards.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Could we then reasonably expect the whole range of Nvidia numbered cards to be released around the time of the 1180? 50/6070 etc

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Could we then reasonably expect the whole range of Nvidia numbered cards to be released around the time of the 1180? 50/6070 etc

It's usually within a few months. Though there have been paper launches in the past where they launched the flagship card and it wasn't *really* available for months. The GTX 680 was notorious for that. And recently the Vega cards from AMD.

They've certainly had enough time to make some sort of real launch though. These cards are getting Old. Nvidia didn't even bother refreshing the 1060 this time.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
It's usually within a few months. Though there have been paper launches in the past where they launched the flagship card and it wasn't *really* available for months. The GTX 680 was notorious for that. And recently the Vega cards from AMD.

They've certainly had enough time to make some sort of real launch though. These cards are getting Old. Nvidia didn't even bother refreshing the 1060 this time.
There’s a little annoying voice inside me saying sell the 1060 for a profit and buy the next one...

But the truth is I haven’t gamed on PC in months and probably won’t again until September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->