PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Nope couldnt get in to Safe Mode. Was able to find a way to reset things. Lost all my apps but watever got them all back anyways. Apparently i was running super low on space (15 mb) not sure how that happened as I had 15 gigs the night before. So I was unable to get in. All is good right now.

If it's a big enough update, those stupid things can take as much as 30 gigs sometimes because they try and create a backup copy of the pre-update version.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yah thats just nuts. I might as well not have anything saved if thats the case haha
I don't remember how (I'll have to research soon to update an old Windows tablet), but you can use external media to assist with an update like that - ie, USB drive or SD card.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Any Canadians able to recommend me a 240 GB or more SSD along with an enclosure for cheap? Ideally sold by the same place so I don't have to pay separate shipping for the enclosure. At the moment I see the Samsung EVO 860 is on sale for $120 at Best Buy but their enclosures aren't cheap, I just need this for school.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Any Canadians able to recommend me a 240 GB or more SSD along with an enclosure for cheap? Ideally sold by the same place so I don't have to pay separate shipping for the enclosure. At the moment I see the Samsung EVO 860 is on sale for $120 at Best Buy but their enclosures aren't cheap, I just need this for school.
Honestly, if you've got time to wait, and it doesn't have to be from a local or Canadian outfit, I'd look at something like this, and just get the SSD that's on sale:

MAIWO K104 Tool-Free USB 3.0 SATA III Hard Drive Enclosures for 2.5inch HDD SSD

If you are much more inclined to get something from a Canadian outfit, I'm sure we can do some looking when one of us gets time.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
So I was playing MLB The Show 18 yesterday and I hooked it up to my monitor. It looked great except for there was some time of blur. Say for instance if a guy was throwing the ball, there would be some type of green effect that would follow the throwing motion. What is that called, and how do I fix it? I tried turning off V-Sync and turning on game mode but it didn't fix it

Sep 19, 2008
So I was playing MLB The Show 18 yesterday and I hooked it up to my monitor. It looked great except for there was some time of blur. Say for instance if a guy was throwing the ball, there would be some type of green effect that would follow the throwing motion. What is that called, and how do I fix it? I tried turning off V-Sync and turning on game mode but it didn't fix it

@SniperHF

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Hi all, had a pretty devastating issue with my work PC today; pretty sure my hard drive crapped out based on some returns from a ChkDsk. I tried to run the chkdsk :c /r /x and it was going to keep that PC out of commission for like 40 hours so I decided to replace the drive in there with an SSD (it was a hybrid, so upgrade I guess?). I'm in the process of getting windows back up now with that SSD but I was wondering if it is possible to run that chkdsk routine with that broken drive as an external? I have a wire that connects an internal drive to a USB and a old laptop I can leave running for as long as it needs; I tried plugging it in and it seemed like windows was being weird (That old drive had a windows install on it). As I need the work PC, I unplugged the other so as to not cause any windows key issues.

All that being said, any advice on running some sort of repair/recovery on that old drive? I have some personal files on there I'd like to keep (nothing irreplaceable, but I had it organized nice and would like to just grab the ~10 mbs of files all at once). My fear is windows being installed on it causing issues...

Edit: And yes, lesson learned on backing up files in a more organized fashion...

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Sounds like ghosting? If game mode didn't do it I'm not sure anything will.
What is the PS4 outputting? I don't keep up with these things. Is it trying to output 2k/4k? Maybe it's running interlaced (1080i) for some reason? I would dig into the settings there. I dont know how many options you have though for changing things on the current consoles.

You might also check if your monitor has some built in display scaling and shut it off.

but I was wondering if it is possible to run that chkdsk routine with that broken drive as an external?

Should be able to. But if it's taking that long you might have a corrupt partition table or severely damaged sectors so it cannot be repaired.

I have a wire that connects an internal drive to a USB and a old laptop I can leave running for as long as it needs; I tried plugging it in and it seemed like windows was being weird (That old drive had a windows install on it). As I need the work PC, I unplugged the other so as to not cause any windows key issues.

All that being said, any advice on running some sort of repair/recovery on that old drive? I have some personal files on there I'd like to keep (nothing irreplaceable, but I had it organized nice and would like to just grab the ~10 mbs of files all at once). My fear is windows being installed on it causing issues...

So you have no access to the files if you connect it as an external right now? If the damage is not bad enough, usually it you can still access the drive if it's not a boot drive via another system.

You might download the manufacturers utility and see if it has physical damage not file system issues.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Should be able to. But if it's taking that long you might have a corrupt partition table or severely damaged sectors so it cannot be repaired.

So you have no access to the files if you connect it as an external right now? If the damage is not bad enough, usually it you can still access the drive if it's not a boot drive via another system.

You might download the manufacturers utility and see if it has physical damage not file system issues.
I tried again now that my new SSD/work PC is up and running again (less scared) & it was a pop up for dropbox that spooked me before (saw a pop up, immediately closed it and removed the drive haha). I was able to get on there and move the stuff I need; looking forward to re-installing everything I need over the next 3-4 hours.

Thanks for the feedback; made me willing to go back in there & saved me 30 minutes of googling to be careful hah.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So Nvidia revealed that 10.5% of their Q1 GPU sales were directly to OEM partners for crypto mining ($289m out of $2.765B). However that doesn't account for the additional cards in the "Gaming" category that were purchased for crypto purposes. Year over year growth in the GPU business increased 77% overall, and 66% in their "Gaming" category.

If we were to hypothetically attribute half of that growth in "Gaming" due to crypto mining, that yields a total of roughly $550m from crypto, or about 20% of their GPU business. We obviously can't say what the real % is, but it's a material % for Nvidia.

http://s22.q4cdn.com/364334381/files/doc_financials/quarterly_reports/2019/Q1FY19-CFO-Commentary.pdf

On a positive note, the Nvidia CEO said they expect the OEM crypto revenue to drop by two-thirds in Q2. So maybe some more price relief is on the way.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
This looks like a really good deal on a pc to me, any thoughts?

Certainly cheaper than buying an i5 8400 a+ RX 580. Just those two pieces + a motherboard get you close to $800.

You'll probably end up upgrading to 16GB of RAM at some point. Also like most prebuilts it likely has lower quality power supply / motherboard.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
1060 6gb or rx580 8gb?

I like the RX but it's basically a pickem and if one was cheaper or had a better cooler or a game bundle I'd buy that one.

AMD cards tend to get driver support/updates for much longer than Nvidia cards and the RX is already faster generally, which wasn't the case on release a couple years ago.

Performance summary - RX ahead by about 2%.

About 8 FPS ahead in Farcry 5

Both are getting into the later stages of their shelf lives though going on about 2 years now. Not that it will magically turn into a brick or anything. But then again I think all the mining crap (and games not really pushing it) has given these cards a longer life than usual too.

By the time it's all done I think both (or at least the RX) will have outlived as an active product the Radeon 7970, and that thing was on the shelves for like 3+ years in one form or another.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I just installed my 580 yesterday, so I can provide a couple thoughts.

A 1060 might be better, in particular in regards to power consumption, but I'm still happy with it (it replaced a 970). I do run 4K occasionally, and the extra VRAM blows away the 970, it can just do more on screen stuff - Windows was showing that in Fallout 4, on ultra settings it was using close to 5.8 GB VRAM. The 970 would either bog down, or the game would crash. Drivers I like quite a bit too, I originally bought the Nvidia, as the old AMD drivers weren't great, but then Nvidia's were that great either. The new AMD ones are pretty nice.

I also run a 3 monitor setup, and AMD handles it miles better than Nvidia. I don't have any DX 12 games, so I don't know/care at the moment.

I also got the 580 for $250 2 weeks ago through Best Buy, which is probably were it should be at this state of the art, but with how ridiculous GPU prices still are...2 year MSRP shouldn't be celebrated online, but here we are.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Thanks for the tips. I've been leaning towards the 580 mainly because of the added vram and the fact that I have a 4k freesync monitor.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Thanks for the tips. I've been leaning towards the 580 mainly because of the added vram and the fact that I have a 4k freesync monitor.

4k is a tougher ask for the 580/1060.
It will work but you won't be able to run full blast comfortably. Freesync will help smooth it out though.

What monitor is it specifically?

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
4k is a tougher ask for the 580/1060.
It will work but you won't be able to run full blast comfortably. Freesync will help smooth it out though.

What monitor is it specifically?

I didn't actually plan to game at 4k on my pc. I have my one x for that. I was just saying that I have a 4k freesync monitor.

But it's the LG 27ud60 -b 27 inch IPS 4k gaming monitor.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
PoS Win 10 update has killed my sound. Reinstalled the AE-5 driver but no change. I really wanted to be gaming rn

Edit: got it back after messing around with the windows control panel (post driver reinstall). Guess it just needed to reset some of my settings to keep me honest. :p

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So I had about enough of my stupid RX 480 getting 83C in Battletech and other games on occasion, so I used an Amazon gift card to buy an Arctic Accelero Mono. There had been some reports of it working quite well with the RX 480.

I am floored. The damn thing is amazing and it's not even that high end of a cooler ($33).

dN36bKT.jpg

It looks a little fugly but it dropped my temps from an 83C max in Battletech (and usually it stayed right about there) to 62C max.

The fan is whisper silent even at 100%.

I did have some problems installing the thing though. I anticipated one of them, that I'd have to modify (hack up with a grinder) the mounting bracket as my card is non-reference and the RAM chips are too damn close.

But the other problem was the cooler included some little grommets that go between the bracket and the PCB. Well they were too tall and one of them crumpled while I was mounting the thing. This caused no contact on about a quarter of the GPU which made my system crash anytime I tried to run 3D and temps as high as 92C :eek:

But I just removed them and used it directly and now it works great.

Also the cooler includes a bunch of RAM and VRM heatsinks in various sizes.

PoS Win 10 update has killed my sound. Reinstalled the AE-5 driver but no change. I really wanted to be gaming rn

Edit: got it back after messing around with the windows control panel (post driver reinstall). Guess it just needed to reset some of my settings to keep me honest. :p

One thing that happens a lot to me is an update/driver update will change my sound to be output through the display HDMI instead of my analog speakers.

Last edited:

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I gotta say. I built my PC back in 2014. 4790k and a GTX 780. I spent around $1200 for everything. This machine is still a beast. I only game at 1080p, 60fps. I may upgrade my ram in like 3 years to 32gb (up from 16) and maybe in a year or 2 I'll upgrade my GPU, but the CPU is fine. I'll probably use this machine to game for another 5 years. People are still playing modern games on overclocked i7 920's FFS.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'll probably use this machine to game for another 5 years. People are still playing modern games on overclocked i7 920's FFS.

Yep. My system above is a 2500k. A few games hit it hard due to being 4 threads but most don't and it runs just as well on anything else.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I gotta say. I built my PC back in 2014. 4790k and a GTX 780. I spent around $1200 for everything. This machine is still a beast. I only game at 1080p, 60fps. I may upgrade my ram in like 3 years to 32gb (up from 16) and maybe in a year or 2 I'll upgrade my GPU, but the CPU is fine. I'll probably use this machine to game for another 5 years. People are still playing modern games on overclocked i7 920's FFS.
I doubt you'll even need to upgrade the RAM at that point. My system is 32 GB - I went that way just because it's a quad-channel system, I wasn't willing to buy 4 GB sticks, and I got a really solid deal on a 32 GB kit - and I NEVER come close to filling those 32 GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->