PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm running dual monitors, and they're different. A 23 inch AOC and a 21.5 inch LG, both IPS screens. The larger one gets my Plex/Netflix videos on it, and certain games, while the other one gets my browsing, Minecraft, mining, etc on it. I find having two different monitors in my case is just fine.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I run two different external monitors & my laptop (in the middle) at my workstation; I switch stuff around between all 3 all the time... the two externals are just about the same size though so even though they are different, my eyes don't really notice. I had some issues in certain citrix and RDP environments but figure out it's because I had different scaling set on one of the monitors (was @ 125% vs 100%); once I set them all the same I've had no issue.

I also have a second, different (much different) monitor on my gaming rig but I don't really do anything with it... I might have a system monitoring app running during a game and/or a tips&tricks list for a new game but its the ultimate useless second monitor hah.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
MSI Armor RX580 8GB for $250 with $20 MIR out there somewhere.

I picked one up through Best Buy's ebay store, regular site was sold out. I never have good luck with MIR, like ever, so if it doesn't work...

Will try and off load my 970 for a little bit, it's largely a lateral upgrade, but more VRAM (I do have 4K), and better DX 12 performance when it becomes a bigger deal. To think I saw 580s selling for close to $400 the other day.

Bonus, my monitor does have Freesync support.

Either this means that either Vega prices are going to drop too, or better, mining is losing a little bit of steam, and pricing will be sane again.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I picked one up through Best Buy's ebay store, regular site was sold out. I never have good luck with MIR, like ever, so if it doesn't work...

Will try and off load my 970 for a little bit, it's largely a lateral upgrade, but more VRAM (I do have 4K), and better DX 12 performance when it becomes a bigger deal. To think I saw 580s selling for close to $400 the other day.

Bonus, my monitor does have Freesync support.

Either this means that either Vega prices are going to drop too, or better, mining is losing a little bit of steam, and pricing will be sane again.
Profitability has recently gone back up again, so I wouldn't count on mining losing steam yet. That said, there were probably people that bailed and sold off cards during the last crash who haven't bought back in.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I've got a friend who wants me to build her a computer on a limited budget... which also has to pay for a 27ish inch IPS screen. I'm debating whether it's better to get her an r3 2200G, and squeeze money out of the budget for an X470 to ensure Raven Ridge compatibility (it'd be nice if the B450s were already out!) or get her a cheap socket 1151 board and processor. The thing will not be a gamer, it will likely be a Photoshop and browsing machine. For her use, I don't know that I see an advantage to the i3-8100 given its CDN price point, but I'll have to research this one some more. I'm loathe to give anyone a less-than-4-core processor these days, so going the Celeron route is a tough sell for me, but I might have to look at it.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Ryzen 3 would give her a little more graphical headroom, but an i3-8100 would likely have the advantage of a cheaper B360 board.

B450 boards are likely to launch late July, if you can wait that long:

German IT distributor shares AMD and Intel 2018 CPU roadmaps

If you can make it work the 2200G seems like a good option here. However, from the use case scenario, I think either would work.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yeah, I don't think either is really a "wrong" answer - looking at the prices on the B360 boards, the difference is compelling with her situation. Even the full size ATX boards do save some money. If I could find a B350 board, or even a cheap X370 board that I knew was Raven Ridge ready, and didn't require sending away for an old AM4 processor for flashing purposes, that would work great too.

Edit: And my rant - what the hell is with modern motherboards that have VGA connectors but not HDMI???? Yes, the board I'm looking at had DVI too, but to include VGA but not HDMI in a board released in 2016+ is a travesty!

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If you think about it, it's kinda crazy that I could probably sell my i7-6700K and the motherboard associated with it and probably make enough back to fully upgrade to an AMD system.

Also, seriously, why are so many old Intel CPUs still so expensive? I guess it's because the difference in their iterations isn't big enough for a big price drop?

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
If you think about it, it's kinda crazy that I could probably sell my i7-6700K and the motherboard associated with it and probably make enough back to fully upgrade to an AMD system.

Also, seriously, why are so many old Intel CPUs still so expensive? I guess it's because the difference in their iterations isn't big enough for a big price drop?
I suspect that has something to do with it - but in my experience, computer hardware never goes down in price proportionately to its performance. Where I particularly noticed that was video cards - before mining was even a thing.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
It would give me more encoding power... but already having a 16 core and a 4 core system, both hyper-threaded, maybe I'm getting greedy :D

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I never heard anything concrete, but the rumours one of my coworkers sent my way made it sound like a very anti-competitive attempt - not one I am sure would have been strictly legal, if the details I was given were accurate. Do you have a brief rundown of what it was actually supposed to be?

Basically those that joined would have gotten the largest supply of cards and support directly from Nvidia, but the rumored caveat was that those companies were allowed to ONLY make Nvidia cards, which means forcing them to drop AMD cards. And if you weren't part of the group, you would get basically the scraps and very little support. Extreme anti-competitive/anti-trust bullshit.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm glad the GPP is dead, although we'd seen that ASUS had gotten around it by simply branding their Radeon cards as "AREZ" instead of "ASUS ROG STRIX"....or at least they tried to.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but just wondering if any of you can help me out.
Yesterday, I started up the PC like usual and the start up screen kept loading. You know that cool circly thing. Anyways after about 15 mins I turned of the PC and had to do it an additional time. Got into the Advanced Options. Tried Start up Repair which eventually finished but got back to the circle of love. Tried System Restore and once that finished same thing happened. I suspect there was some sort of update that's caused this issue. Anyways if any of you can help I would be in your debt.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but just wondering if any of you can help me out.
Yesterday, I started up the PC like usual and the start up screen kept loading. You know that cool circly thing. Anyways after about 15 mins I turned of the PC and had to do it an additional time. Got into the Advanced Options. Tried Start up Repair which eventually finished but got back to the circle of love. Tried System Restore and once that finished same thing happened. I suspect there was some sort of update that's caused this issue. Anyways if any of you can help I would be in your debt.
My first step would be to leave it for several hours. That probably won't change anything, but every now and then, you get an update that will sit, visually unresponsive, for an extended amount of time, but it is actually doing something behind the scenes. If that doesn't do anything, we can definitely do more troubleshooting. Is it Windows 10?

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
My first step would be to leave it for several hours. That probably won't change anything, but every now and then, you get an update that will sit, visually unresponsive, for an extended amount of time, but it is actually doing something behind the scenes. If that doesn't do anything, we can definitely do more troubleshooting. Is it Windows 10?
Yes Windows 10. I left it loading all day until I woke up this morning and it was still loading haha. Just looking around this seems to be happening to a lot of people the past few days.

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
So I priced out the parts that I wanted and it was going to cost $2000. I said screw that and just bought a prebuilt computer. it was $1100

so it has a i7-7700 cpu
16gb ram
gtx 1060 3gb

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Have you tried booting it up in Safe Mode?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Have you tried booting it up in Safe Mode?

Nope couldnt get in to Safe Mode. Was able to find a way to reset things. Lost all my apps but watever got them all back anyways. Apparently i was running super low on space (15 mb) not sure how that happened as I had 15 gigs the night before. So I was unable to get in. All is good right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad