PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Have a question, thinking about buying my first PC or laptop to game on. Don't wanna completely break the bank and go thousands of dollars in just yet, but what would you guys reccomend to get started on?

To expand on Sniper's first couple of points - a desktop PC will definitely get you more gaming power for the same or a lower price. That said - depending on the type of gaming you do, and the amount of portability you need, a gaming laptop can be doable without being TOO expensive.

If you give it some thought, and answer his questions though, you should be able to get some solid help here. There's some pretty knowledgeable guys here, and some of them, like Sniper, are willing to go out of their way to look at or suggest parts and systems.

Bulls9220

Feb 6, 2010
New York
Since you still haven't decided between a desktop and a laptop that's probably where I'd start.

Random things I'd consider:
1. Is portability important?

2. Is ultra portability important? Meaning extremely light weight, very long battery life, small screen size.

3. If not thousand(S) of dollars, how much? 1200? 1000? 800? Assuming you don't have a monitor I'd look at $800 being bottom dollar for something workable.

4. Are you interested in a PC for playing games your console doesn't have?, don't have a console? , replacing a console experience?(meaning connecting to TV, using a controller mostly, etc)

5. Do you have an expectations on performance? Example: I'm tired of my console being framerate locked. I want to play at 2k or 4k. Stuff like that.
1 and 2. Nah portability isn't too important.
3. I could probably spend up to around $1000 on the right one. I'm young and don't really have bills yet but also don't wanna just **** away money.
4. Yeah more interested in playing games my console doesn't have. Definitely not getting rid of my Xbox but wanna venture out and play more titles, plus there's a lot of games I like watching and wanna play but Xbox doesn't have them.
5. I don't really have too many expectations on performance. I have heard my friends complain about the Xbox being framerate locked during during battlefield and stuff but for me it's all I've ever really known so it doesn't bother me too much.
Thanks for the help man

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
3. I could probably spend up to around $1000 on the right one. I'm young and don't really have bills yet but also don't wanna just **** away money.
4. Yeah more interested in playing games my console doesn't have. Definitely not getting rid of my Xbox but wanna venture out and play more titles, plus there's a lot of games I like watching and wanna play but Xbox doesn't have them.
5. I don't really have too many expectations on performance. I have heard my friends complain about the Xbox being framerate locked during during battlefield and stuff but for me it's all I've ever really known so it doesn't bother me too much.
Thanks for the help man

If portability isn't important, I'd start looking at the desktop options. If you feel like waiting, in April, AMD is releasing some more processors that might end up being great bang-for-the-buck options, but if you don't feel like waiting, Intel's current gen i5's are already very solid options, and i3's make some decent budget options.

For a video card, I'm thinking an AMD 480, or an Nvidia 1060 or 1070 may be in the area of what you want to look at.

What else do you want to do with the computer? Or will it strictly be a gamer? Do you plan to have myriads of games all on the computer all simultaneously? Movies and media? Just a handful of games at one time?

Edit: Also - do you already have a monitor / plan on hooking it up to your TV? Or do you need to squeeze a monitor into that budget?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Hey all. Hoping to get some advice. I have been a dedicated Macbook user for a long time. My MBP died in 2015 and the Macbook I am borrowing is 7 years old. I wasn't too enthusiastic with the new MBP's released last year and am less hopeful that they will get better anytime soon to where I could justify spending $2,500 on a new machine.

I have decided to get a PC for now and I know next to nothing about what to get. I don't need a high end gaming laptop that costs me $2000 or anything but I also don't need a computer that is complete **** in a year. I guess what would be the best bang for my buck lap top for around $1000? Portability is a big deal to me so a desktop is 100% out of the question.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Thanks for the help man

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VMPJ2R
This is probably what I'd look at more or less. I included the monitor and OS for the full price picture. KB/Mouse/Speakers are needed as well if you don't have them.

Here's a cheaper setup with a worse process/video card:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M8TmKZ

The first build is a good bit better but the 2nd is workable and upgradable later if you get the itch.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Hey all. Hoping to get some advice. I have been a dedicated Macbook user for a long time. My MBP died in 2015 and the Macbook I am borrowing is 7 years old. I wasn't too enthusiastic with the new MBP's released last year and am less hopeful that they will get better anytime soon to where I could justify spending $2,500 on a new machine.

I have decided to get a PC for now and I know next to nothing about what to get. I don't need a high end gaming laptop that costs me $2000 or anything but I also don't need a computer that is complete **** in a year. I guess what would be the best bang for my buck lap top for around $1000? Portability is a big deal to me so a desktop is 100% out of the question.

Just confirming there are decent options out there for you - but other guys are more up to date on laptops than I am, and I need to go hit the hay - if no one has responded before I come back, I'll do a little digging.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Just confirming there are decent options out there for you - but other guys are more up to date on laptops than I am, and I need to go hit the hay - if no one has responded before I come back, I'll do a little digging.

Thank you. I wouldn't even know where to begin anymore. Most of the gaming I do on my computer is for modded games and every once in a while I will hop on an MMO but that isn't too often. An all around good machine would be nice.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Thank you. I wouldn't even know where to begin anymore. Most of the gaming I do on my computer is for modded games and every once in a while I will hop on an MMO but that isn't too often. An all around good machine would be nice.

I just had a very quick look. These ones have a GTX 1050 - I'd personally be tempted to look a little more / budget a little more and try to get a GTX 1050ti or 1060, but I don't know if that would be a big deal to you. Or, you could drop the SSD drive, in order to keep the budget down and up the video card, then add an SSD drive later - SSD's make a big difference, but adding an SSD later isn't a big deal - a video card, you're likely stuck with what you've got.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAPK57B7104

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154497

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I just had a very quick look. These ones have a GTX 1050 - I'd personally be tempted to look a little more / budget a little more and try to get a GTX 1050ti or 1060, but I don't know if that would be a big deal to you. Or, you could drop the SSD drive, in order to keep the budget down and up the video card, then add an SSD drive later - SSD's make a big difference, but adding an SSD later isn't a big deal - a video card, you're likely stuck with what you've got.

:handclap: This is exactly what I am looking for.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB

Can put my recommendation on either of those. Last page I discussed buying one of the other MSI laptops on the newegg sale and mine just shipped a couple days ago. It's been a complete beaut, and utterly smacks every demanding game I've tried in the face with authority. Those look to be the next model down roughly so should still handle anything you throw at them within reason and at a great price.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005

This one is an i7, which is nice... it doesn't have a hard drive, just an SSD, but if you really want a hard drive, they're not hard to add later. If you're just going to have a few games on there, and very limited media, you might not need it.

Good find Playerwinner - that's along the lines of what I was trying to find for him.

Edit: the Amazon one has no hard drive, the Costco one does.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
For anyone following Ryzen, here's a couple of pieces of information. It sounds like it's believed the main reason gaming performance is often lower than expected has to do with threads passing through the infinity fabric between CCX's (each Ryzen CPU has its cores divided between 2 CCX's). It appears that RAM speed has a very significant impact on this - and what little I'm seeing so far suggests that getting your RAM clocked high will do a lot to negate this problem. I'm sure that as games are optimized to allow Ryzen to better manage their threads, that things will improve too.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Okay, so I caved in and couldn't wait for the Hybrid 1080 Ti. I ordered a FE and I'm going to upgrade it to a Hybrid once this is in stock: http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5388-B1

Commander Clueless nailed it. Am I that predictable?

Nah buddy, I just have a lot of personal experience regarding patience and awesome new tech. :laugh:

Guess he's got to change his screen name now.

One piece of wisdom and you're ready to strip me of my rank?! :laugh:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
My original release (2008 or so) Xonar DX has always been flaky, often I have to restart it via device manager. Decided to replace it with a Sound Blaster Z. https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Perf...id=1490820475&sr=8-1&keywords=sound+blaster+z

Hilariously I discovered that the Xonar DX STILL sells for $100 new. I know sound tech changes a lot more slowly but damn :laugh:. The stupid thing is powered by a floppy power cable.

Amazon had he Soundblaster on sale for $93 so not bad.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

Probably a little late to the party but newegg has some lenovo deals going on - heres the main page:

https://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/17-1799/index.html?cm_sp=Homepage-Top2016-_-P2_nepro%2f17-1799-_-%2f%2fpromotions.newegg.com%2fnepro%2f17-1799%2f1920x360.jpg&icid=392452

There are two solid gaming notebooks, for 899 and 999 respectively there. Although the MSI ones listed earlier look to be better overall. Just throwing out options.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Game optimization for Ryzen is looking promising.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-game-optimization-aots-escalation,34021.html

We tested both AMD and Intel processors before and after applying the patch, recording an impressive increase in CPU performance at 1920x1080. The Ryzen 7 1800X trailed Intel's Core i7-7700K before the update, but swapped positions after we activated the new code. The 1800X notched a 16.36% increase, which falls short of AMD's projections, but again, we're using a different preset as AMD.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3185466/hardware/heres-proof-that-ryzen-can-benefit-from-optimized-game-code.html

When AMD CEO Lisa Su addressed the gaming disparity just after Ryzen’s launch by saying “vital optimizations†will only make it better, I have to admit I was in the skeptical column. That’s because promised optimizations are basically the tech industry’s version of “the check is in the mail.†But with Oxide squeezing out so much more performance in just a few short weeks of tuning, there’s probably a lot more to come from Ryzen.

I'm starting to get pretty excited about these processors.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Absolutely... even if one doesn't plan to go AMD any time soon, one has to hope that they can end the de facto monopoly, and be competitive again. I would hope that success in the CPU world would help them invest back into their GPU line to gain some ground there too.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
Can anyone recommend a good 1440p IPS monitor below $350?

I have the ASUS VG248QE right now (1080p, 144 hz) and while the high refresh rate is nice, the colors on this thing are absolutely awful. I've spent hours trying out different settings and ICC profiles but have yet to find a configuration that doesn't have serious issues (crushed blacks, washed-out colors, gradient banding).

Plus, given that I'm primarily a single-player gamer, I think I'd prefer the higher resolution over the high refresh rate. Do any of you guys have suggestions on a 1440p IPS panel that won't break the bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad