OT - NO POLITICS PBS to the rescue - Charlie Brown specials will be on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm not gonna say I take credit for this, but...well, it IS because of Viewers Like Me....and You. Maybe some day the US will take as much national pride in PBS as it deserves - with some of the best educational, scientific, news, arts, and entertainment programming out there, it's one of our gems. Many of the people in my generation and the ones following wouldn't be where they are today without Big Bird, Easy Reader, Arthur, the ZOOM gang, etc. And just this month they're showing three movies that people paid $20 or more to see (as one-off Fathom Events film) - I saw one of them just a few months before the pandemic.

Watch your PBS, kids. And enjoy your popcorn for Thanksgiving, and the humble little tree for Christmas.

Reactions: GordonHowe

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Not easy living with a nurse, vein technician and police officer. Wife had covid (not bad thankfully) but we still know nothing about it (can it come back, long term issues), also could have been a false positive (although she had a headache for a day)..there are now 6 new cases of patients and 3 staff.....my daughter is around fifteen patients a day (once a week they get a call that someone that came in tested positive after) at least and my son is called to 3 covid suspected calls a day it seems (has to pass oxygen through windows in some homes where the patient is too sick to be helped by the police (son is a trained EMT but not allowed to go into the house unless the patient has lost consciousness before the ambulance arrives)...they understand the risks, and continue to do their job, but it does suck wondering if they are going to get sick everyday.

They are the definition of courageous and essential. You’ve got quite a special family.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Who remembers Jill and her father from 1988? This was the greatest ad campaign in New England history.

I was in TAMPA for Christmas and the local news showed the final ad for snowbirds that wanted to know the ending.

BOSTON — A six-month series of New England Telephone Co. commercials that touched viewers’ hearts with a story about a father and daughter’s attempts to reconcile reached a happy ending on Christmas Day.

Not that the outcome was really in doubt.

“We’re the telephone company,” said Geraldine O’Brien, advertising director. “We don’t do unhappy endings.”

The story, which had unfolded since July on television and radio in five New England states, had prompted intense audience interest and speculation about how the father-daughter standoff would be resolved.

Priests delivered sermons derived from the commercials; a billboard urging daughter Jill to “Call Dad” appeared; talk show hosts threw open their microphones to listeners with an opinion on the family drama, and at least one troubled family produced its own videotape takeoff on the tear-jerker.

In a dispute apparently sparked by the man in her life, Jill and her father had not spoken in two years. The first spot saw sister Kathy making a stab at bringing them back together, only to have Dad hang up at the mention of his estranged daughter’s name.

In subsequent ads, Dad called back to apologize for his rash response but refused to bury the hatchet, and Kathy pleaded with her sister to make amends before it was too late.

In the campaign’s climax Sunday, Jill at last picked up the telephone and, in a gesture of apparent holiday good will, called home. Dad responded by tearfully admitting: “I was wrong. I had no right to interfere in your life like that.”

“I’ve missed you so much, Dad,” Jill returned, as the camera panned over various grinning family members.

Phone ads have New England wondering all about Jill

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'll trade you. Just replaced my roof and am now in the process of getting quotes for a new furnace.

did my roof 3 years ago, and right now my house is 57 degrees. Furnace is short cycling, it appears to be pinging the high limit switch VERY quickly. It’s a 20 year old Burnham, not sure if it’s toast or not as I’m far from an expert on these things. Temp gauge sky rockets and hits over 200 within a couple minutes. Flue opens. Valves are open. I’m lost.

good luck with your replacement. Hopefully you can keep it to a few grand

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
did my roof 3 years ago, and right now my house is 57 degrees. Furnace is short cycling, it appears to be pinging the high limit switch VERY quickly. It’s a 20 year old Burnham, not sure if it’s toast or not as I’m far from an expert on these things. Temp gauge sky rockets and hits over 200 within a couple minutes. Flue opens. Valves are open. I’m lost.

good luck with your replacement. Hopefully you can keep it to a few grand
i have oil furnace. if you arent getting heat with furnace kicking on its either a pump or some type of blower or pump thats dead. or a flow check valve stuck closed. at least thsts always been the case for me. you have well water??

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
We haven't put our heat on yet. Every year it's a game to see how late into the season we can go. We have a gas fireplace with a blower in the living room which heats up the first floor pretty well when it's on.

Yesterday I took some chicken out to defrost when I left for work. Come dinner time, it wasn't defrosted yet.

It might be time to consider the heat.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I am in need of a better air conditioner cover. My unit is built in and sits under my windows and all I can feel is the cold air on my feet.

I've tried closing the vents and maintenance has weatherproofed it but the only thing that seems to work is a blanket.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I am in need of a better air conditioner cover. My unit is built in and sits under my windows and all I can feel is the cold air on my feet.

I've tried closing the vents and maintenance has weatherproofed it but the only thing that seems to work is a blanket.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

You might have to cover the vents from the inside, maybe this is something you can use (my mom buys stuff from them all the time)

Indoor Window Air Conditioner Cover - Outdoor - Walter Drake

or Magnetic Vent Covers – Set of 3 – Walter Drake

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
i have oil furnace. if you arent getting heat with furnace kicking on its either a pump or some type of blower or pump thats dead. or a flow check valve stuck closed. at least thsts always been the case for me. you have well water??

nope. 80 gal gas water heater. That’s working fine, the ac will work fine, but the heat short cycles. I’m still leaning toward it being an air flow issue within the flue, or a temp sensor shut off of sorts.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Yeah, having circulators become air bound or otherwise fail was a big problem before we replaced the furnace. Have not had that issue in quite some time thankfully.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
"Owning cats or other types of pets did not lead to a significant effect on the estimated prevalence of the disease," the study says.

Dog walking increases odds of catching COVID by 78 percent, researchers say

I haven't read the study, but frankly, that sounds like junk science that converted into clickbait.

First, there's no link to an actual article, nor is there a reference to what journal or research group published this study. I want to know if it's published in this month's "Nature", or in March's "Online Journal of Studies of Weird Things". Second, from what this article says, it looks like it has the potential to conflate correlation (two things happening together) with causation (one thing happening because of another).

If you give a standardized spelling test to all students at a K-8 school, you will find that height correlates with spelling test scores. There's clearly a third variable at play - namely, age. Or, perhaps more precisely, "years of education". Or, even better yet, "lifetime classroom hours spent studying spelling and reading and writing".

Maybe dog owners - particularly those of large, active breeds who have to be exercised regularly - are also fitness freaks who find that an active dog is a good match for their own active lifestyle. As such, they walk their dog in a socially distanced manner, and then go to the gym the moment it's opened by local authorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->