OT - NO POLITICS PBS to the rescue - Charlie Brown specials will be on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Maybe it’s because I was raised with manners or whatever but it always bugs me when I don’t hear thank you from people.

like for example a manager buddy and I enjoy a squirt soda a day. I provide em and he’s said thanks or thank you maybe 1-2 times. Not saying he’s a bad dude or anything. Sorta bugs me that I don’t hear please or thank you more from people.

I hear you
If I hear "no worries" when I say thank you I swear I`ll scream. The other response is "what" when someone is asked a question that they didn`t hear, no longer are the words "pardon me" used

I`m far from the most polished person when it comes to manners but I do have the basics down

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Maybe it’s because I was raised with manners or whatever but it always bugs me when I don’t hear thank you from people.

like for example a manager buddy and I enjoy a squirt soda a day. I provide em and he’s said thanks or thank you maybe 1-2 times. Not saying he’s a bad dude or anything. Sorta bugs me that I don’t hear please or thank you more from people.

I have the same issue with that and with people who say "no problem" instead of "you're welcome".

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I hear you
If I hear "no worries" when I say thank you I swear I`ll scream. The other response is "what" when someone is asked a question that they didn`t hear, no longer are the words "pardon me" used

I`m far from the most polished person when it comes to manners but I do have the basics down

I say "huh" haha. I was never taught pardon me. I was taught excuse me which I say. Actually I saw pardon me at work when walking in between people

I have the same issue with that and with people who say "no problem" instead of "you're welcome".

I say no problem all the time to customers. Mainly cuz alot of them older ones who need help are very thankful. Dont say it in like an asshole way but let them know its really no problem at all to help them theyre older and sometimes older people have a hard time asking for help.

Reactions: BMC

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Its funny this guys whole channel is like shitting on Madden. I'll say EA Sports are very lazy. NHL franchise has been shit for years, Madden is lazy. Reminds me I saw Madden one time at a buffet called Sweet Tomatoes. He was with his wife and had a hoody on sort of hiding at their table eating a bowl of ice cream

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I hear you

Neither response is bad manners. They're simply a less formal response to thank you/thanks. They're just a say of saying "I appreciate your thanks but really it was nothing" or "I'm happy to, you're not a burden". Additionally, "you're welcome" comes off as cold and stilted while no worries/no problem is more conversational

No different than saying 'Hi/Bye' instead of "Hello/Goodbye". I'm willing to bet neither of you say Hello 100% of the time.

A lot of things that are minor things like holding a door, picking up something dropped, offering to grab someone a coffee dont need the stilted and formal response of "you're welcome". They are minor good deeds that are expected of decent people (coffee example being a small step above that). The thank you/thanks is an auto response and not always deeply felt, so a less formal response is fine.

For bigger deeds/gestures and gifts, obviously you express more and genuine gratitude with the formal "you're welcome"

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I hear you

I do say thank you and you're welcome but I say no worries or no problem all the time especially at work. It really isn't an issue for me to go the extra mile to help. It is how I was raised. I do it especially when people start to panic. It is my way of telling them to calm down and I will get it taken care of.

That said, I've worked with these people for 9 years and when I first started my boss actually told me to stop saying you're welcome as it was too formal.

Reactions: Spooner st

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:vhappy::vhappy::santa::santa::xtree::xtree:

Peanuts specials A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and A Charlie Brown Christmas, which left their longtime home at ABC for Apple, will return to traditional TV for some special airings this holiday season.

In addition to streaming on their new home Apple TV+, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and A Charlie Brown Christmas will air ad free on PBS and PBS Kids on Sunday, Nov. 22 and Sunday, Dec. 13, respectively, at 7:30 pm local time/6:30 pm CT (check local listings).

Peanuts Specials ‘A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving’ & ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’ To Get Special Airings On PBS – Deadline

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Peanuts specials A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and A Charlie Brown Christmas, which left their longtime home at ABC for Apple, will return to traditional TV for some special airings this holiday season.

In addition to streaming on their new home Apple TV+, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and A Charlie Brown Christmas will air ad free on PBS and PBS Kids on Sunday, Nov. 22 and Sunday, Dec. 13, respectively, at 7:30 pm local time/6:30 pm CT (check local listings).

Peanuts Specials ‘A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving’ & ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’ To Get Special Airings On PBS – Deadline

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! The Streak lives on!!!! :vhappy: :vhappy:

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Oh yes it was. I don't remember it personally but I know it really happened.
I thought the guy talking about it from the perspective of the Heidi production director was a comedic genius, talking about how upset he was to see the score scroll across right when Heidi was getting out of her wheelchair. Then I realized this wasn’t a Christopher Guest spoof but a real thing. My god that’s incredible.

Reactions: BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Its funny this guys whole channel is like shitting on Madden. I'll say EA Sports are very lazy. NHL franchise has been shit for years, Madden is lazy. Reminds me I saw Madden one time at a buffet called Sweet Tomatoes. He was with his wife and had a hoody on sort of hiding at their table eating a bowl of ice cream

I still don't totally understand adults that play video games, but I like Star Wars, comic books and sports cards so who am I to judge?

Reactions: jgatie

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Friend of mine went into the city today to grab Galleria Umberto pizza and brought a ton home.

Needless to say, I had lunch at his house today.

Freaking delicious.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Friend of mine went into the city today to grab Galleria Umberto pizza and brought a ton home.

Needless to say, I had lunch at his house today.

Freaking delicious.
They look amazing...I'm drooling.

Screenshot_20201118-151216_Chrome.jpg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I forget who gave me some info on the garage door, but my quote finally came in. The guy lost my number apparently.

door is 8x7 so pricing was higher. 1150 with door and motor. OR he has a used 9x7 door he just swapped out but the door is in perfect shape that he will do for $600, we just have to widen the bay. So i think option B it is.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tree for Boston says final farewells to N.S. as it prepares for long journey

As a result of the pandemic, officials had to find an alternative way to transport the tree from the small community of Grande Anse, N.S., all the way to Boston.

This year, Nova Scotia partnered with the Port of Halifax, PSA Halifax, and Eimskip Canada to transport the tree on a container vessel.

"The Tree for Boston is such an important tradition for Nova Scotia. All of us at the Port of Halifax are proud to lend a hand in helping the tree make its way to the people of Boston,” said Captain Allan Gray, president and chief executive officer of the Halifax Port Authority.

“This year especially, we need to work together and celebrate those traditions that bring us closer together."

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I forget who gave me some info on the garage door, but my quote finally came in. The guy lost my number apparently.

door is 8x7 so pricing was higher. 1150 with door and motor. OR he has a used 9x7 door he just swapped out but the door is in perfect shape that he will do for $600, we just have to widen the bay. So i think option B it is.

I'll trade you. Just replaced my roof and am now in the process of getting quotes for a new furnace.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I'm not gonna say I take credit for this, but...well, it IS because of Viewers Like Me....and You. Maybe some day the US will take as much national pride in PBS as it deserves - with some of the best educational, scientific, news, arts, and entertainment programming out there, it's one of our gems. Many of the people in my generation and the ones following wouldn't be where they are today without Big Bird, Easy Reader, Arthur, the ZOOM gang, etc. And just this month they're showing three movies that people paid $20 or more to see (as one-off Fathom Events film) - I saw one of them just a few months before the pandemic.

Watch your PBS, kids. And enjoy your popcorn for Thanksgiving, and the humble little tree for Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->