OT - NO POLITICS PBS to the rescue - Charlie Brown specials will be on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
you wont get -80 freezers now. Big pharma and huge distributors like Caremark have flooded manufacturers with po’s going back to May.
Dry ice will be in shortages too until other 2-8 treatments come through.
So if Pfizer gets approval around say the same time someone orders Omaha steaks its gonna be a long time to get them steaks.

I literally thought of that example last week when the Pfizer vaccine came out. I got some Omaha steaks a few months ago, and it came with the CO2 - no doubt that CO2 will be shifted to the vaccine if it's approved and Moderna has some kind of problems.

I imagine there will be common bottleneck points, too. Even if Moderna can make 10 million doses, and Pfizer can make another 10 million doses of their vaccine, that doesn't mean that 20 million doses (for 10 million people) can be distributed. The vaccines have supplies in common that may be limited in quantity. You need vials, syringes, alcohol pads, gloves and other PPE, and most importantly, people to give the vaccine. I think it'll be awhile before it's widely available.

I got my flu shot in my car - they were pretty quick, and had two stations set up to deal with 12 people per 10 minute time slot. Hopefully local departments of health can do something similar.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I literally thought of that example last week when the Pfizer vaccine came out. I got some Omaha steaks a few months ago, and it came with the CO2 - no doubt that CO2 will be shifted to the vaccine if it's approved and Moderna has some kind of problems.

I imagine there will be common bottleneck points, too. Even if Moderna can make 10 million doses, and Pfizer can make another 10 million doses of their vaccine, that doesn't mean that 20 million doses (for 10 million people) can be distributed. The vaccines have supplies in common that may be limited in quantity. You need vials, syringes, alcohol pads, gloves and other PPE, and most importantly, people to give the vaccine. I think it'll be awhile before it's widely available.

I got my flu shot in my car - they were pretty quick, and had two stations set up to deal with 12 people per 10 minute time slot. Hopefully local departments of health can do something similar.
There are many issues and opportunities with all of this.
First those two companies can not meet all the needs in less than a few years. Moderna has brilliant science it appears but no manufacturing or distribution in house. That adds a layer of complexity. Not insurmountable but gates to go through. Double quality assurance and QC for starters.
Next , and the elephant in the room is there is no guarantee how much which countries get out of the gate.
Luckily there are still another 4 or so big players due to release data around beginning of Jan..
A variety of platforms.
But huge key is worldwide market is so big that all can be in play and make $$$$.
I think the future is bright here. Could be near over in a year.
IF...the biggest IF of all.....if We The People can get our shit together between now and then.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
There are many issues and opportunities with all of this.
First those two companies can not meet all the needs in less than a few years. Moderna has brilliant science it appears but no manufacturing or distribution in house. That adds a layer of complexity. Not insurmountable but gates to go through. Double quality assurance and QC for starters.
Next , and the elephant in the room is there is no guarantee how much which countries get out of the gate.
Luckily there are still another 4 or so big players due to release data around beginning of Jan..
A variety of platforms.
But huge key is worldwide market is so big that all can be in play and make $$$$.
I think the future is bright here. Could be near over in a year.
IF...the biggest IF of all.....if We The People can get our shit together between now and then.

I'm no anti science guy by any means, but this is something literally out of a sci-fi movie if you think about it.

Chapter 1....Worldwide epidemic unseen for a century. Schools, shops, travel, normal life, grinds to a halt as the world closes up. Empty streets and birds chirping on Broadway. Then comes a radically new vaccination with creation to first human test in 63 days, using a genetic modification of human cells to block the virus before it can even attach to the cells. A mad dash to vaccinate all living people on Earth with the best of intentions... Chapter 2.... ??

Tell me that isn't a tried and true opening plot for all kinds of Armageddon / zombie / end of the world paperback.. ;-)

I'm not a scientist and have only done cursory readup on the vaccine and how it works, but it does concern me that it would appear to change the behavior of our cells for a specific purpose, bypassing our normal immune system reaction to an external agent. That sounds like tinkering with a very complex system of causal interactions : reactions which have taken millennia to refine to get a balance that fits the environment we are faced with. Fear seems to have pushed us to throw caution to the wind on this one but fingers crossed its a quantum leap like Penicillin back in the day.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
I'm no anti science guy by any means, but this is something literally out of a sci-fi movie if you think about it.

Chapter 1....Worldwide epidemic unseen for a century. Schools, shops, travel, normal life, grinds to a halt as the world closes up. Empty streets and birds chirping on Broadway. Then comes a radically new vaccination with creation to first human test in 63 days, using a genetic modification of human cells to block the virus before it can even attach to the cells. A mad dash to vaccinate all living people on Earth with the best of intentions... Chapter 2.... ??

Tell me that isn't a tried and true opening plot for all kinds of Armageddon / zombie / end of the world paperback.. ;-)

I'm not a scientist and have only done cursory readup on the vaccine and how it works, but it does concern me that it would appear to change the behavior of our cells for a specific purpose, bypassing our normal immune system reaction to an external agent. That sounds like tinkering with a very complex system of causal interactions : reactions which have taken millennia to refine to get a balance that fits the environment we are faced with. Fear seems to have pushed us to throw caution to the wind on this one but fingers crossed its a quantum leap like Penicillin back in the day.

It can be 100 percent fine but people still have legitimate reason to be cautious. Moderna was created for this sole reason, to create an RNA vaccine in an emergency that they would make zillions on. The RNA stuff is old but it's actual application in humans? I guess we're going to have to risk it. People need to weigh what is more of a threat to them, covid or whatever they're going to be injecting them with. For healthy individuals the choice is pretty clear. Over 60ish, fat, diabetic, immunocompromised, choice is also pretty clear.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Alright people, I got an instant pot with air fryer lid as an early birthday present. What recipes should I throw in this bad boy?

I live in Chicago and there's nothing better that a good Italian Beef sandwich (dipped-sweet). This recipe is one of the better ones for making your own in an instapot..
Instant Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches - Pinch of Yum

....just don't screw up the bread. You need a good Italian roll that will hold up well after being dipped in the gravy.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
52 years ago tonight this fiasco changed TV sports forever

BTW viewers in Boston were oblivious to this as NBC had a Patriots game in the market and then went to Heidi.

When the Patriots game ended NBC fed a scoreboard show hosted by Pat Hernon to Boston, Providence, Springfield, Portland, and Bangor. The concept of bonus coverage was still years away.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Not easy living with a nurse, vein technician and police officer. Wife had covid (not bad thankfully) but we still know nothing about it (can it come back, long term issues), also could have been a false positive (although she had a headache for a day)..there are now 6 new cases of patients and 3 staff.....my daughter is around fifteen patients a day (once a week they get a call that someone that came in tested positive after) at least and my son is called to 3 covid suspected calls a day it seems (has to pass oxygen through windows in some homes where the patient is too sick to be helped by the police (son is a trained EMT but not allowed to go into the house unless the patient has lost consciousness before the ambulance arrives)...they understand the risks, and continue to do their job, but it does suck wondering if they are going to get sick everyday.
You are living with very good people. I hope all stay well.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007

BTW viewers in Boston were oblivious to this as NBC had a Patriots game in the market and then went to Heidi.

When the Patriots game ended NBC fed a scoreboard show hosted by Pat Hernon to Boston, Providence, Springfield, Portland, and Bangor. The concept of bonus coverage was still years away.

That can’t be real?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This times a bazillion. They do suck. Sorry :(
Thanks! The crazy part is that while I felt like my heart was racing my heart rate didn't get higher than 95 bpm.

Initially I thought it was post concussion stuff showing up (I still get pounding headaches above my eyes if my heat rate goes up quickly) but then the shallow breathing started.

I'm pretty sure I know what the trigger was but this is the first time it has led to this kind of reaction.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I wasn't aware of it at the time but I've read plenty about it since lol. The fans were irate and I can't blame them one bit :laugh:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Panic attacks suck. Glad this one was mild but it came out of nowhere.

I don't wish them on anyone.
Ive had a couple. my allergies dont help.
im glad you are over it though.
they are pretty scary but i find it helps if you just say to yourself its a panic attack and try doing something to take your mind off it.
I had one driving once. then i just blasted the radio and started singing and it was all good.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
That can’t be real?

Similar thing happened just 20 years ago, but in reverse. The XFL (yes, the XFL) turned "Saturday Night Live" into "Saturday Night Tape Delayed by 40-45 minutes". The host/musical guest was J Lo, and she was a HUGE get.

XFL Game Intrusion on 'Saturday Night Live' Roils NBC Executives (Published 2001)

Lorne Michaels, the executive producer, was PISSED. You'll notice nowadays that if the NHL has a playoff game in the 8 PM slot during April or May, the SNL episode scheduled for 11:30 will always be a repeat. During the regular season, if they schedule an 8 PM game (I think they did one of those Stadium Series games then), they transfer it to NBCSN if it bleeds into late local news if there's a new SNL scheduled.

Although, ironically, that went out the window with the 2OT game of Notre Dame a couple of weeks ago. Half the people probably saw the fans swarming the field because they were watching the end of college football - the other half because they were expecting to see Dave Chapelle at 11:30. The game started at 7, so it was reasonable to assume it should have ended in plenty of time. But that's live sports.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Ive had a couple. my allergies dont help.
im glad you are over it though.
they are pretty scary but i find it helps if you just say to yourself its a panic attack and try doing something to take your mind off it.
I had one driving once. then i just blasted the radio and started singing and it was all good.
At first I thought I had triggered an allergy attack from melting one of my Christmas wax melts that smells like a Christmas tree but then everything else started.

I just did some breathing exercises and walked around my apartment and was able to relax. Like I said, I know what the root trigger was and then what made it worse so at least I know where I need to adjust behaviors.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Oh yes it was. I don't remember it personally but I know it really happened.

It was a comedy of errors.

The key issue was that if staying with the game was approved, NBC in New York had to tell AT&T to keep the line from Oakland (via Burbank) open and that never happened. Somebody in Iowa threw a switch at 6:59:59 PM and that was that.

Reactions: BMC

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Maybe it’s because I was raised with manners or whatever but it always bugs me when I don’t hear thank you from people.

like for example a manager buddy and I enjoy a squirt soda a day. I provide em and he’s said thanks or thank you maybe 1-2 times. Not saying he’s a bad dude or anything. Sorta bugs me that I don’t hear please or thank you more from people.

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My mom dropped off ornaments and some other stuff yesterday and a lot of my target decorations arrive tomorrow so I'm excited for it to arrive. Looking at what I ordered I realized that I really need to buy a small bookshelf so I can display things on it.

I'm using my dining room table as a desk so I have a number of decorations I can't use because I simply have no place for them.

My place isn't big but working from home has hindered how I decorate in general. It is all about function and sometimes function isn't pretty.
Haha, I hear ya, we have a 1000sq condo, not a ton of space, our furniture was bought while living in Nova Scotia in a 1400sq space so needless to say, space isn`t our friend here but we do our best with what we have, it means that every year some decorations simply have to stay in the bins we have. One day we`ll own a home again and the "must have" list for the realtor will include space for EVERY Christmas decoration

Now, that said, my patio is lit up like Clark Griswald`s house, the neighbors and their kids love it, we live on the ground floor and the young kids in the building always take pictures outside of it yearly which always makes me happy

Reactions: BMC and Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad