Pawtucket Red Sox moving to Worcester

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Wait - the Spinners are leaving the Sox?

They'd have to if the Red Sox purchase Batavia for relocation to Pawtucket. They're both Short Season A and in the same League to boot. No way they could both be affiliated with Boston.

While you'll VERY occasionally have an MLB team with two affiliates at the same short season level (KC, for instance, has two Advanced Rookie affiliates - the Burlington Royals of the Appalachian League and the Idaho Falls Chukars of the Pioneer League. The White Sox also used to have two Advanced Rookie affiliates before they left Bristol, TN) I can't think offhand of a time when a team's had two affiliates in the same league, aside from complex-based rookie leagues like the Gulf Coast League, Arizona League, or Dominican Summer League.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
They'd have to if the Red Sox purchase Batavia for relocation to Pawtucket. They're both Short Season A and in the same League to boot. No way they could both be affiliated with Boston.

While you'll VERY occasionally have an MLB team with two affiliates at the same short season level (KC, for instance, has two Advanced Rookie affiliates - the Burlington Royals of the Appalachian League and the Idaho Falls Chukars of the Pioneer League. The White Sox also used to have two Advanced Rookie affiliates before they left Bristol, TN) I can't think offhand of a time when a team's had two affiliates in the same league, aside from complex-based rookie leagues like the Gulf Coast League, Arizona League, or Dominican Summer League.

I REALLY hope they do this just to watch them get slapped down and lose a bunch of money on it.

Rhode Island is a nuclear wasteland now to anything with Lucchino/Henry's names attached to it. The anger is real

Secondly, a pity prize of a single A team after having our AAA team stolen is only going to further fuel that anger.

And good luck if they think theyre gonna get a dime of public money to fix up McCoy now.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I REALLY hope they do this just to watch them get slapped down and lose a bunch of money on it.

Rhode Island is a nuclear wasteland now to anything with Lucchino/Henry's names attached to it. The anger is real

Secondly, a pity prize of a single A team after having our AAA team stolen is only going to further fuel that anger.

And good luck if they think theyre gonna get a dime of public money to fix up McCoy now.

Not even Single-A. Short Season A, which is a rung below Single-A.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

McCoy's not getting High-A or Low-A ball, it's just too far out of the footprints of the Carolina and South Atlantic Leagues. Double-A's a possibility, but what Eastern League team is looking to relocate aside from maybe, Ricmond, but they seem completely committed to working things out for a new park in Richmond, although I'm not sure if there's been any movement on the plans to demolish the State Alcohol Warehouse and put a new park there for the Flying Squirrels and VCU Baseball.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
McCoy's not getting High-A or Low-A ball, it's just too far out of the footprints of the Carolina and South Atlantic Leagues. Double-A's a possibility, but what Eastern League team is looking to relocate aside from maybe, Ricmond, but they seem completely committed to working things out for a new park in Richmond, although I'm not sure if there's been any movement on the plans to demolish the State Alcohol Warehouse and put a new park there for the Flying Squirrels and VCU Baseball.
Trenton's ballpark is old by today standards @Fenway mentioned the Yankees where looking at Hartford would the Thunder survive without a local affiliation

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Raimondo wooing soccer, AA baseball teams to fill McCoy Stadium
the il would probably never allow a double a team that close to a aaa team.

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Richmond/Henrico County has more issues than the Diamond, tbth, the hockey end of Richmond just saw the demolition of the Coliseum, aka the Freezer, not that long ago....so that's more of a priority....

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Richmond/Henrico County has more issues than the Diamond, tbth, the hockey end of Richmond just saw the demolition of the Coliseum, aka the Freezer, not that long ago....so that's more of a priority....
A lot has changed since that conversation I suspect Washington probably wants a foothold in Richmond and if Manfred's list of affiliations leaks out the flying squirrels will be listed for a AA Or AAA Nat's affiliate.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
A lot has changed since that conversation I suspect Washington probably wants a foothold in Richmond and if Manfred's list of affiliations leaks out the flying squirrels will be listed for a AA Or AAA Nat's affiliate.
it's San Francisco's and has been a Yankees affiliate back in the days of Norwich, Centrum, Harrisburg always will be associated with the Nationals.... only Binghamton and Erie, which is Detroit's AA Affiliate are DOA if the reorganization goes through

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Spinners owner cites ‘human cost’ of baseball’s contraction plan - The Boston Globe

In its defense, MLB has said it wants to contract because the system is bloated (too many minor leaguers without a shot at reaching the majors and too many underpaid players), poorly designed (too much travel, and teams too far from their big-league affiliates), and in disrepair (too many cramped and crumbling ballparks).

Yet since buying the Spinners in 2016, Heller said, he and the city have made every change requested by the Red Sox, and he cannot fathom where Lowell falls short.

“In the four years that I have owned the team, there has never been a single instance where the Red Sox have asked for something and we have said no,” said Heller.

He mentioned installing new energy-efficient LED field lights that make it easier for the players to see the ball, and a new irrigation system so the field can drain better. Those two improvements alone cost almost $1 million, said Heller, and were paid for by him and the city of Lowell. The partners are sitting on $835,000 in a ballpark improvement fund for future enhancements that may never be needed.

“We now today have the best playing field in the New York-Penn League, and then we get put on the contracted list and told that our facility is not up to standard?” said Heller. “Really?”

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The new Worcester ballpark is finished

174503303_10223603457287219_3148840895308372562_n.jpg

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad