Pawtucket Red Sox moving to Worcester

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2018-8-17_14-11-49.png

The Pawtucket Red Sox and the city of Worcester have signed an agreement that clears the way for the Triple A team to move to the city and play in a stadium that will be built on the former Wyman-Gordon property near Kelley Square.

The deal includes a development blueprint that includes a ballpark, an apartment building, a hotel and retail space. The city describes the stadium as a multi-use facility.

The reworking of Kelley Square, a traffic riddle that is a city landmark, is part of the larger plan.
The development is due to be completed by March 2021.

Pawtucket Red Sox moving to Worcester; Kelley Square to get a facelift

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Worcester Red Sox? (Hopefully, a stop to these ridiculous team nicknames for a while.)

Edit: Typed "Pawtucket" instead of "Worcester." Also, do you members try to put an "H" in "Worcester?" Becuase I seem to do.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Already somewhat under discussion in the MiLB thread, but this comes as no surprise at all. The PawSox have been wanting a new park for a couple years now and McCoy, while a historic facility, has its headaches. A feasibility study done just last year found that the two options for McCoy would be a $65M renovation to cure various defects, which would provide minimal public return on investment or a $78M option to demolish McCoy and build a new stadium on the site with a slightly different orientation that would allow for more development along Division Street and would also allow for a modern facility that would be competitive with its peers in providing a contemporary experience. Even with the demolish and build new, there were still significant issues with the site including visibility from I-95, distance to commuter rail, and distance to the riverfront, which is the focus of Pawtucket's redevelopment. Combine all of that with Rhode Island state government dragging their feet on a financing package and it's no surprise at all to see the PawSox seek greener pastures in Worcester, especially given how aggressively Worcester's pursued them. I'd expect a summer collegiate, indy ball, or maybe a short season affiliated team to shift to Pawtucket because it's still a good market.

All of that said, the hubris of Pawtucket fans that I've seen throughout this process has been simply unreal. There was a real belief that there was no way the PawSox would move. It really reminded me of the process that Savannah, GA went through when the Sand Gnats sought a replacement for their historic (but flawed) home and ultimately relocated to a brand new facility in Columbia, SC. When a team comes to their local/state government with a laundry list of issues as lengthy as Pawtucket's or Savannah's, it's safe to say that they're eyeballing other options already and I'd say many of the recent relocations in MiLB that I can think of (Bakersfield, Savannah, Richmond, Pawtucket) emphasize that. I think the next city to learn this lesson (or rather relearn it) might be Richmond, VA unless plans to replace The Diamond pick up steam.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
How far is Pawtucket from Boston?

I live in a suburb just south of Boston (on the border of the city) and I could get to Pawtucket in 45 minutes-ish, probably quicker if I drove like a Masshole. It’s one of the first towns in RI if you’re coming from MA.

But I think it’s more about the other stuff than location (such as only paying rent up front, keeping concessions and parking, etc.). Worcester is probably even a little further away time wise than RI.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am a native New Englander and I really can not see Worcester being a viable AAA market, at best it should be AA.

upload_2018-8-7_18-51-21-png.133669

upload_2018-8-7_18-52-32-png.133671

Worcester is technically the second largest city in New England but it has no real suburbs like Providence does.

The Pawsox also drew from the adjacent Massachusetts Southcoast

upload_2018-8-26_5-34-50.png

Pawtucket has built up both a radio and TV presence in Rhode Island and that will NOT happen in Worcester.

PawSox Radio Network
920 AMWHJJ*Providence, RI
1340 AMWNBHNew Bedford, MA
1380 AMWNRIWoonsocket, RI
1230 AMWBLQ#Westerly, RI
1320 AMWRNP#Attleboro/Pawtucket
830 AMWCRN#Worcester, MA
1480 AMWSAR#Fall River, MA
1490 AMWMRC#Milford, MA
970 AMWESO#Sturbridge, MA
96.3 FMWEEI#Cape Cod
105.3 FMWPKZ#Fitchburg, MA
1320 AMWCVR#Randolph, VT
106.5 FMWCFR#Springfield, VT
* Flagship # Limited Basis
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

All Saturday Night and Sunday PawSox Home Games to be Televised on myRITV

What the Red Sox don't understand is that fans from RI WILL NOT drive the 40 miles to Worcester.

Other Cities' Stadium Woes Serve Warning To Worcester And The PawSox

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I am a native New Englander and I really can not see Worcester being a viable AAA market, at best it should be AA.

upload_2018-8-7_18-51-21-png.133669

upload_2018-8-7_18-52-32-png.133671

Worcester is technically the second largest city in New England but it has no real suburbs like Providence does.

The Pawsox also drew from the adjacent Massachusetts Southcoast

View attachment 136321

Pawtucket has built up both a radio and TV presence in Rhode Island and that will NOT happen in Worcester.

PawSox Radio Network
920 AMWHJJ*Providence, RI
1340 AMWNBHNew Bedford, MA
1380 AMWNRIWoonsocket, RI
1230 AMWBLQ#Westerly, RI
1320 AMWRNP#Attleboro/Pawtucket
830 AMWCRN#Worcester, MA
1480 AMWSAR#Fall River, MA
1490 AMWMRC#Milford, MA
970 AMWESO#Sturbridge, MA
96.3 FMWEEI#Cape Cod
105.3 FMWPKZ#Fitchburg, MA
1320 AMWCVR#Randolph, VT
106.5 FMWCFR#Springfield, VT
* Flagship # Limited Basis
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
All Saturday Night and Sunday PawSox Home Games to be Televised on myRITV

What the Red Sox don't understand is that fans from RI WILL NOT drive the 40 miles to Worcester.

Other Cities' Stadium Woes Serve Warning To Worcester And The PawSox

Since the team is owned by the Red Sox, I doubt the market really needs to be viable - they just need to pony up for a new stadium. It'll probably be like FSL teams that are owned by their MLB parent - they don't really care about the accounting because they *have* to have an Advanced-A team. Unless the Red Sox hit some financial instability (I tried to type that with a straight face and failed) I'm sure the actual balance sheet won't really matter so much as having a state of the art Triple-A park to replace McCoy.

member 157595

They're probably gambling on redevelopment of the surrounding area, because Worcester is kind of a shithole. The owners have no real emotional connection to this region and would probably go anywhere where a town builds them a new stadium.

I agree with Fenway in that RI residents aren't going to drive to Worcester for this team, unless it is to throw coffee milk and clear chowder at them.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
They're probably gambling on redevelopment of the surrounding area, because Worcester is kind of a ****hole. The owners have no real emotional connection to this region and would probably go anywhere where a town builds them a new stadium.

I agree with Fenway in that RI residents aren't going to drive to Worcester for this team, unless it is to throw coffee milk and clear chowder at them.

According to CommonWealth magazine, Worcester has agreed to build a new $86 million stadium, with the team contributing about $36 million over the next 30 years. Worcester will own the stadium, reports CommonWealth, “but the ball club will operate it and retain all revenues, including ticket fees, concessions, liquor sales, branding rights, premium seat sales, broadcast rights, merchandise sales and naming rights.” Also according to CommonWealth, Worcester will borrow about $100.8 million in two separate bond offerings to cover the cost of ballpark construction. The city expects to cover debt service cost with tax revenue associated with development of the ballpark and surrounding area, which includes two small hotels, housing, and commercial and restaurant space.

Goodbye, Rhode Island: Elegy for the PawSox

According to the Globe, the state will also provide $32.5 million for infrastructure improvements, and another $2.5 million in housing tax credits for development beyond the stadium project.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Muckdogs GM predicts pro baseball will return in 2019, team happy with improvements at Dwyer
there was some speculation from weei and others that the red sox could have a different short Season single a team in the future there is no where to put a team like the muckdogs for two years before mccoy becomes vacant though unless the redsox move it to this ballpark Campanelli Stadium - Wikipedia

Things are fluid right now but I can not see the Pawsox staying at McCoy for 2 years as a lame duck. Most of my RI friends are heartbroken about losing the team but they are also angry.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Things are fluid right now but I can not see the Pawsox staying at McCoy for 2 years as a lame duck. Most of my RI friends are heartbroken about losing the team but they are also angry.
the futures league that Drew Weber co created is not in great shape http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/sports/local-sports-columnists/2018/07/14/city-golf-taking-a-year-off-plus-some-other-items-of-interest Brockton and holy cross may be available for the redsox there is some rumors from Worcester media going around that the college may kick the brave harts out and the john creedon refused a buyout from the pawsox

member 157595

According to CommonWealth magazine, Worcester has agreed to build a new $86 million stadium, with the team contributing about $36 million over the next 30 years. Worcester will own the stadium, reports CommonWealth, “but the ball club will operate it and retain all revenues, including ticket fees, concessions, liquor sales, branding rights, premium seat sales, broadcast rights, merchandise sales and naming rights.” Also according to CommonWealth, Worcester will borrow about $100.8 million in two separate bond offerings to cover the cost of ballpark construction. The city expects to cover debt service cost with tax revenue associated with development of the ballpark and surrounding area, which includes two small hotels, housing, and commercial and restaurant space.

Goodbye, Rhode Island: Elegy for the PawSox

According to the Globe, the state will also provide $32.5 million for infrastructure improvements, and another $2.5 million in housing tax credits for development beyond the stadium project.

Oh Worcester. :laugh:

Typical bullshit. Why do American cities fall for this shit, over and over again? Oh wait, it's because the people in office that push for these kinds of things do so to gain popular appeal from the knuckle-draggers and are often not in office long enough to pay the price, while the residents continue to do so, year after year.

As a MA resident this pisses me off.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Oh Worcester. :laugh:

Typical bull****. Why do American cities fall for this ****, over and over again? Oh wait, it's because the people in office that push for these kinds of things do so to gain popular appeal from the knuckle-draggers and are often not in office long enough to pay the price, while the residents continue to do so, year after year.

As a MA resident this pisses me off.

seriously, as a RI'er I say good riddance to the Pawsox.

Fenway Sports Group got Worcester to pay all the bills, deal with the cost of owning the stadium, but FSG gets all the revenue.

If I walked up to you and said "how about you go buy a car, pay for all the repairs, but only I get to drive it", whats your response?

Like you said, why do cities still fall for this crap. I'm glad the RI politicians didnt roll over and get stuck in a deal like that

member 157595

seriously, as a RI'er I say good riddance to the Pawsox.

Fenway Sports Group got Worcester to pay all the bills, deal with the cost of owning the stadium, but FSG gets all the revenue.

If I walked up to you and said "how about you go buy a car, pay for all the repairs, but only I get to drive it", whats your response?

Like you said, why do cities still fall for this crap. I'm glad the RI politicians didnt roll over and get stuck in a deal like that

Seriously, this kind of stuff is such a colossal waste of tax dollars. If my taxes have to be increased for any reason I damn well don't want that money to go to a group of f***ing billionaires building a sports stadium that contributes far less benefit to a city than it should.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Seriously, this kind of stuff is such a colossal waste of tax dollars. If my taxes have to be increased for any reason I damn well don't want that money to go to a group of ****ing billionaires building a sports stadium that contributes far less benefit to a city than it should.

and in the same breath that they announce they can give $135 million to billionaires for a stadium, they'll also say there isnt enough money to fix the schools or the roads

Reactions: OmniCube

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad