Pavol's sweater will get hoisted:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
This is the Blues Hall of Fame, right? They aren't retiring his number. Do they raise the jersey for this? The rafters will get crowded if we add 3 jerseys a year. I thought it was more like a pat on the back, a plaque and a blog post.

Mar 6, 2012
I love that they selected Demitra for the Blues Hall of Fame... one of my all time favorite Blues... he very much deserves it...

...but are they really going to do 3 per year? Seems a little much... like the honor will be watered down.

It should be one player per year. Make it mean something.

Reactions: Blueston

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I don't see the issue. All three are well deserving of the honor and there's a lengthy list of players who deserve it as well. If we start inducting the Brad Boyeses and Gino Cavallinis in Blues history then I'd have issue with it.

It's fun for fans and a nice way to honor some major contributors in Blues history. Not everything needs to be scrutinized.

Reactions: Brian39

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't see the issue. All three are well deserving of the honor and there's a lengthy list of players who deserve it as well. If we start inducting the Brad Boyeses and Gino Cavallinis in Blues history then I'd have issue with it.

It's fun for fans and a nice way to honor some major contributors in Blues history. Not everything needs to be scrutinized.
I also haven't seen anything suggesting that it will be 3 a year every year. This is only the 2nd year of the Blues Hall of Fame, so it wouldn't be crazy for them to do several players for the first few years and then taper down the number as there are fewer deserving guys.

We're not that many years away from having a bunch of retired guys from the Cup team that will start going in.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I also haven't seen anything suggesting that it will be 3 a year every year. This is only the 2nd year of the Blues Hall of Fame, so it wouldn't be crazy for them to do several players for the first few years and then taper down the number as there are fewer deserving guys.

We're not that many years away from having a bunch of retired guys from the Cup team that will start going in.
I would assume they want to generate some excitement as we play mediocre hockey for a bit.

Mar 6, 2012
So, whatever... who are the locks moving forward...

Adam Oates, Barret Jackman, Curtis Joseph, Grant Fuhr, Brandon Shanahan, Kelly Chase, Pierre Turgeon, David Backes...

Cup Winners 100% Locks... Petrangelo, Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Binnington, Perron
Cup Winner Most Likely: Steen, Boewmeester, Schenn, Parayko, Schwartz

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch... It really depends on where they draw the line here...

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

Adam Oates, Barret Jackman, Curtis Joseph, Grant Fuhr, Brandon Shanahan, Kelly Chase, Pierre Turgeon, David Backes...

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch... It really depends on where they draw the line here...
I think Steen is a 100% lock
Meagher won a Selke so probably
lot of guys were churned through St Louis in the 70’s thru the 90’s, so guys like Shannahan, Dunlop, Courtnall,Gilmour, Mullen, Pettersson were only here for 4 or 5 years, although pretty good for that time
where are they going to put that line

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

Would Berube be a Cup Winner lock, unless it's restricted to players only?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
i don't know how you can have a blues hall of fame without berube and binnington (once both ar eligible). those 2 are the face of our Cup to me.
Berube and Armstrong have to be at the top of the short list of non-player candidates.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Absolutely. Armstrong is becoming legit candidate for the Hockey Hall of Fame.
I think he locked that in with the 2019 Cup, although he isn't such a slam dunk to put him in while he is still active. That 2019 Cup win made him the only executive to join the double triple gold club (2 Cups, 2 Olympic Golds, and 2 World Championship Golds). By the end of 2019 he had 15 years as an NHL GM and about a decade as a key player in the pro department of Hockey Canada.

He is currently 14th in all time wins among NHL GMs and is just 37 wins shy of 10th. He is 200+ games shy of everyone ahead of him on that list, so his winning percentage is pretty damn good as well. And not for nothing, but the HOF is still very much an old boys club and Army is extremely well connected and respected in that club.

I will be shocked if he doesn't wind up in the HOF, even if he retired tomorrow.

He'll eventually wind up in the Blues HOF, as will Berube and Stillman (we broke the seal on coaches and owners in the inaugural class).

As for players from the Cup team, I think that Steen, Petro, Tarasenko, ROR, and Binner are all locks.

Steen played a dozen years here and has rejoined the organization post-retirement. He was well-liked when here, he adopted a team-first reduced role in the Cup win and he damn near always repped the city with a Cardinals hat in public. 5th in games played all time for the Blues.

Petro was the first Blue to touch the Cup and the photo of him raising it is the most iconic pro-Blues photo in the franchise's history. He led the team in TOI in the Cup run, he was a Blues pick and played 10 full NHL seasons here. Time will heal the free agency hard feelings enough to make him a no-brainer decision for the Blues HOF. 4th in games played all time for the Blues.

Tarasenko played 10+ years here and was a fan favorite for most of it. He was the closest player we had to a superstar in the cap era and his shot was truly the best shot we've had since Hull. 5th in goals and points all time for the Blues and a big part of the Cup run (his 11 goals was 2nd on the team and his 17 goals was 14th). I don't see his exit erasing all that.

ROR won the playoff MVP the same year he won the Selke. Then he spent several more years here and acted as captain. He'll get in based on hardware alone.

Binner's emergence in 2019 was a huge driving force to turn the season around. Then he was super clutch in the playoffs and has been a fan favorite since. He's 32 wins shy of tying Luit for the franchise record and that seems extremely likely since he is under contract for another 3+ seasons.

I think a few more guys have very strong cases, but those would be my 5 where I'd be actively surprised if they don't get in.

Mar 6, 2012
Perron and Schwartz should also be cup winner locks.

O'Reilly, Pietrangelo, Binnington, Tarasenko are 1000% no-brainers... I would be shocked if Perron, Schwartz, Schenn and Steen aren't also locks.... Boewmeester is also probably a safe bet based on his total time here, his key role in our cup run and his sudden forced retirement and how much he meant to the team. Parayko is also probably a lock. After that it starts to get a little more dicey. Thomas was an important player in the first 3 rounds, and as long as he sticks around for a while, he should eventually get in. Kyrou too, but he had much less involvement in the cup run... both would get in based on more on their total time with the Blues and less so the cup run...

After that group of guys, I really think it's hard to put anyone else in without just letting everyone in.

Berube clearly is also a lock, I was just focused on players in my post above.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

Interesting/good list of players to consider.

Jackman was here a long time but was he high end enough.

Fuhr and Turg weren’t here long enough.

Chase was a plug.

If Tarasenko and Perron are locks, then there is no way Schwartz isnt. I would put Schwartz above Perron and at the same level as Tarasenko even though he wasn’t as sexy in point production.

Binnington, Backes and Steen I am on the fence on. At this point Binnington was on a hot streak and fortunately that came at the right time for us.

Schenn, Parayko and Bo don’t be long on he list IMO.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Interesting/good list of players to consider.

Jackman was here a long time but was he high end enough.

Fuhr and Turg weren’t here long enough.

Chase was a plug.

If Tarasenko and Perron are locks, then there is no way Schwartz isnt. I would put Schwartz above Perron and at the same level as Tarasenko even though he wasn’t as sexy in point production.

Binnington, Backes and Steen I am on the fence on. At this point Binnington was on a hot streak and fortunately that came at the right time for us.

Schenn, Parayko and Bo don’t be long on he list IMO.
Steen is a 100% lock, 4th in games played, 10th in goals, 6th in assists, 6th in points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad