Pavel Zacha is raising hell!

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
How much is he playing on wing vs at center? I do remember in previous year how much of his scoring came from wing position, seems to be a bit more offensive there. With McLeod and Sharangovich looking like adequate centermen, maybe Zacha's future will be on wing.
He’s playing exclusively on the wing lately.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
His offense looks like it's finally come in, shifting him to the wing and putting him with skilled players has certainly helped. Hynes tried to play him like John Madden and that's simply not what he is.

That being said - he is not good defensively. He played extremely well on the PK in previous years but the Devils get destroyed when he is on the ice at ES.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I really wanted him during his draft year. I was pissed when the Devils snagged him. Nice to see he's turning things around even if not for my team.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Always said he’s a winger. He has an above average shot and decent offensive iq with the puck. Playing wing allows him to think less and focus mainly on offense. He’s playing well but he’s clearly the 5th or 6th best forward on the team

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I remember during the draft Pierre and another commentator saying that Zacha is the one guy who could challenge McDavid and Eichel in terms of raw talent (obviously a bad take), that he was the biggest boom/bust player of 2015, and he has a higher ceiling than the consensus second tier trio of Hanifin, Strome, and Marner.

I expected him to be a dynamic, offensive-minded forward, and I was surprised to see him come into the NHL as a defensive bottom 6 C, but I assumed that's just what his game is.

Was that all Hynes stupidity? Is Zacha really more like a Malkin type, where he is most lethal when he's all about scoring--even if he has the skill and smarts to bring defense when he wants to?

Somebody give me the skinny on NJD's young forward situation.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Finally NJ is doing what they should have done years ago, shift him from center. It is going to take a year before he is fully comfortable playing wing but his skills are suited for it.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
He's a guy that should've 200+ shots per season. Very good shot but he's reluctant to just let it fly and instead try too many cute passes.

Ya he's got a laser beam. Saw him live in STL a couple years ago and he scored a goal on a rush that I couldn't track at all. Didn't even know he shot and that puck was in before I could blink. Glad to see him putting it all together.

Reactions: John Pedro

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I remember during the draft Pierre and another commentator saying that Zacha is the one guy who could challenge McDavid and Eichel in terms of raw talent (obviously a bad take), that he was the biggest boom/bust player of 2015, and he has a higher ceiling than the consensus second tier trio of Hanifin, Strome, and Marner.

I expected him to be a dynamic, offensive-minded forward, and I was surprised to see him come into the NHL as a defensive bottom 6 C, but I assumed that's just what his game is.

Was that all Hynes stupidity? Is Zacha really more like a Malkin type, where he is most lethal when he's all about scoring--even if he has the skill and smarts to bring defense when he wants to?

Somebody give me the skinny on NJD's young forward situation.
Zacha was one of those guys that was too good to go back to the OHL after his D+1 season but not really NHL ready. He would have really benefitted from a year in the AHL at 20 but he wasn't eligible. He was definitely rushed in, which I think was a factor in letting Michael McLeod and Ty Smith go back to junior for their D+2 seasons.

It's also due to how terrible NJ's roster has been the past ~5 years. Early in his career his most frequent linemates were guys like Jacob Josefson, Stefan Noesen, Beau Bennett, Miles Wood, etc. He also spent a lot of time getting anchored by Wayne Simmonds in the first half of 2020. But after Hynes was fired he mostly centered Bratt and Gusev, and this year he's playing wing with Bratt and Hischier. Putting him with skilled players vs depth players is a night and day difference.

Center is a bad fit for him, he is at his best when he has less to think about. He is a perimeter player that looks to pass first and doesn't use his shot as often as he should (his shot is quite good). Like to go for fancy low percentage plays that don't often work but look real pretty when they do. He doesn't work well as a defensive player, he has some size but isn't overly physical. Decent skater, doesn't have great top end speed. Good hands.

At ES Hynes tried to use him as a #3 C, which was a disaster. Not necessarily in a defensive role in terms of matchups, just more of a "we don't have anyone else so please don't get slaughtered out there" role. Unfortunately he is embarrassingly, horrifically, catastrophically bad at defense, which meant he couldn't really get points because he was getting shelled in his own zone every night.

You could see flashes of talent, we all knew it was there. His best work is on special teams, he excels on both the PP and PK. Of his 12 points this year only 4 have been at 5-on-5. The rest are either 5-on-4, 6-on-5, 3-on-3, or ENG.

He is a situational gadget player that Lindy Ruff was able to figure out how to maximize. Give him one job and only one job, find the matchup he needs, and then let him do his thing. Which means he has value to the team. He was definitely overdrafted and will never be the franchise guy, maybe not even a legitimate top-6 guy, but fortunately NJ will never need him to be.

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, it's still early but damn that line is pretty solid with him hischier and bratt. and he is playing confident hockey!

Seems a lot of people are right suggesting he's more of a winger. From what I've seen he lacks a bit of defensive instincts and intensity for center position (maybe a Devils fan can chime in if I'm wrong about that). He did win a real nice stick battle for the puck last night before his assist to Hischier, showed off some strength. And with that laser beam wrister, he'll likely be able to get more shots off, coming into the ozone wide as a winger.

I never realized quite how nasty his wrist shot was, but some of his goals this season. Wowsers, a very nice release.

Anyways, at least his stat line (ppg) has been trending upwards steadily his whole career.. (very steadily... But still haha) even while put in a 3rd line role these past few years. So, I think it's possible he starts being a good scoring winger playing with guys like Bratt and Hischier. It's funny the expectations we put on players as if it's their fault a team picks them high in the draft LoL, but I guess people blame the team for the picks as well. It's so difficult to know at what age a guy might 'get it' and breakout, and it can be so situational!! Coaching change, position change, linemate change, personal growth, etc. However, I do hope we are seeing that with Zacha! 8 game point streak is a good start :).

MitchMurphy

Nov 29, 2017
Glad he’s doing well and always wanted him to put it together. Let’s see if it continues for once as a Devils fan.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Zacha's unironically one of my favourite Devils' player to watch and I'm very happy with how he's started the year, though it's still too early to make any conclusions. But when he's on his game he's a big, fast, skilled guy that just makes plays happen. His pass to Bratt last night, he showed great patience, stickhandling and vision to wait for Bratt to find the opening and hit him in stride. His shot is actually really good, well in some areas. He gets a lot of power behind his wrist shots and has a sneaky good release but over the years his accuracy has left a lot to be desired - though so far this year he's picked his spot more frequently, I'd still like to see him become more of a volume shooter.

He certainly still has a ways to go, and consistency has been one his issues before so it'll be interesting to see how he does the rest of the year, but if he is able to establish himself as a strong middle 6 winger that'd be amazing. He's shown good chemistry already next to Nico and Bratt, and they're great friends off the ice by all accounts, so it'd be amazing to watch them continue to grow together. I mean that line's average age is 22 so definitely some room to grow there.

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
Don't think he'll be a superstar by any means, but I could see him continuing to develop in the mold of someone like a Phillip Danault (not this seasons version) or something similar. A coaches wet dream, shut down top lines and producing at a 40-50 point pace. A very useful player even considering how early he was picked in the draft.

Edit: Continued reading and learned he was shifted to wing. My comparison is pretty shit now haha, but regardless I'm happy to see him doing well.

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
Going to need see him continue this play for at least the rest of the season before I believe this isn’t just another tease before he disappears again.

He has always shown glimpses of elite skill but never could maintain any consistency. Probably the most frustration prospect I ever followed.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
He's a guy that should've 200+ shots per season. Very good shot but he's reluctant to just let it fly and instead try too many cute passes.

Yeah, he still doesn’t shoot enough for my liking. Makes it tough to tell if this is a hot streak or the start of something long-term. Hope he keeps it up though. Like CanadianSharks said, a lot of Sharks fans were eyeing him that draft year.

Reactions: John Pedro

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
He’s shooting more and is actually using his size to his advantage, something every Devils fan has wanted to see since he came into the league. Playing with Nico and Bratt will only keep helping him improve as those 3 have tons of chemistry together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad