Prospect Info: Pavel Novak, C/RW, 146th overall

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
lol brackett has guys he likes and he gets them. Never heard of this kid but he put up 1st round production in his D-1 in the WHL and a decent rate this year in the 2nd tier Czech league. Our whole team is gonna be 5’9

edit: I was looking a year ahead. My b.

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
Comparison player is Andreas Johnsson. So maybe now all the leafs fans can stop proposing horrible deals that involve Johnsson coming to us.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Love it. Talk about sniping a real talent. Plus, I'm confident that they've gotten at least a view or two with him already playing in Czech 2nd league (1+3 in 5 games vs. men) and are impressed. There seem to be quite a few questions about his game and whether it translates - mainly about strength and size, and a relative lack of high-end production - yet I can see the talent in there. I'm fine with us taking a late-round flier on a potentially top-6 forward with skill and good tools.

Now, please get another pick so we can take another flier at certain Veeti Miettinen.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Love it. Talk about sniping a real talent. Plus, I'm confident that they've gotten at least a view or two with him already playing in Czech 2nd league (1+3 in 5 games vs. men) and are impressed. There seem to be quite a few questions about his game and whether it translates - mainly about strength and size, and a relative lack of high-end production - yet I can see the talent in there. I'm fine with us taking a late-round flier on a potentially top-6 forward with skill and good tools.

Now, please get another pick so we can take another flier at certain Veeti Miettinen.
He fell because he is so tiny, that might be a problem. Closest comparison i can think of right now is Andreas Johnsson 20 goal 20 assist type of guy, small and speedy winger with good hands and shot.

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
He fell because he is so tiny, that might be a problem. Closest comparison i can think of right now is Andreas Johnsson 20 goal 20 assist type of guy, small and speedy winger with good hands and shot.

Honestly? That would be an absolute jackpot so late into the draft. Yes, late-round diamonds happen at times (see Kaprizov, Kirill for the most recent example in our organization) but more often than not these fliers turn out to be a pipe dream. Still, he seems to have undeniable offensive talent and I'm really excited that teams are willing to take chances on these smaller, skilled players. If nothing else, he should be able to carve himself a solid career in European hockey, but now he has an NHL organization to turn for in guidance, training regimen, and a potential shot at the big leagues. The game is evolving towards speed and skill, and while lack of size is still an issue to some extent, it's no longer downright deterring GM's from giving chances to these guys.

Reactions: fgobuzz

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I've heard the Czech have completely revamped their development program. If so, I bet it's just the tip of the iceberg.
there are some changes, more skill coaches are lectored, tutored or how you call it and talented kids are given more chance to play with men. And what you mean by the tip of the iceberg? You say it will get worse? That is not possible, we are as dead as Red Wings lol.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
there are some changes, more skill coaches are lectored, tutored or how you call it and more talented kids are given chance to play with men. And what you mean by the tip of the iceberg? You say it will get worse? That is not possible, we are dead as Red Wings are lol.
No no. Tip of the iceberg means just the beginning. The tip of an iceberg is the smallest piece.

Edit: Additionally, I thought they got away from a lot of the corruption that was plaguing the development program.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
there are some changes, more skill coaches are lectored, tutored or how you call it and more talented kids are given chance to play with men. And what you mean by the tip of iceberg? You say it will get worse? That is not possible lol.

I think he means prospects like Novak, signalling the renaissance of Czech hockey.

As much as I hated you guys in the late 90s and early 00s with your ridiculously stacked teams and divine goaltending, I kinda miss the days of Czechia being a formidable opponent on the Worlds. Honestly? We miss you. Get your stuff together and be a thorn on our sides again. Always loved your skilled game and the sheer, f-off beauty that your players could unleash on unsuspecting defenses... At least when it wasn't ours. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->