Prospect Info: Pavel Francouz

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
If the Avs are going to run a Grubs/Frank combo, I think they will go after a vet #3 as a backup plan. Probably won't be somebody good, but a fringe backup that is okay with heading to Loveland for most of the season.

Niemi.jpeg

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Francouz did look really good in his brief NHL appearances, and his AHL and KHL numbers certainly indicate that he has what it takes to make it as a backup (or perhaps more) in the NHL. I wouldn't be worried going into next year with him as the #2, I think he can hack it.

I agree, but I just feel like the Avs would probably go the safe route and make sure their #3 was a vet of some sort.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I agree, but I just feel like the Avs would probably go the safe route and make sure their #3 was a vet of some sort.
Depends on who is available. If they can get Knight with their first, I'm fine with just picking up a vet to baby-sit in the AHL in case of injuries. If the team struggles and one of Gru or Frank don't cut the mustard, I'm not content with bringing up such a goalie from the AHL to right the ship. I'd much rather make a trade for a goalie if needed.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I have no idea why, but I am strangely tranquil with the idea of Grubs and Frank starting in NHL. The money saved by not having Varly around should allow us to spend more time in the other zone if spent wisely.

That being said, if we are looking to get a solid #3 that would be okay with starting the year in the AHL who would it be? Seriously....what goalie is going to take AHL money to begin the year and hope for an injury? I wouldn't want that guy on my team. Draft Knight with our first, trade up if we have to and can but seriously, do not spend money on a shitty stop-gap. The AHL needs a goalie upgrade and I get that Knight will not be available this year...spend AHL money on it....don't give NHL money to a guy that is going to play the entire year down there unless there are injuries. If you think there is going to be injuries that is one thing..but both Gru and Frank have been pretty healthy. Why spend money hoping thinking one of them might fail and the other is injurued?

Reactions: Patagonia

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I have no idea why, but I am strangely tranquil with the idea of Grubs and Frank starting in NHL. The money saved by not having Varly around should allow us to spend more time in the other zone if spent wisely.

That being said, if we are looking to get a solid #3 that would be okay with starting the year in the AHL who would it be? Seriously....what goalie is going to take AHL money to begin the year and hope for an injury? I wouldn't want that guy on my team. Draft Knight with our first, trade up if we have to and can but seriously, do not spend money on a ****ty stop-gap. The AHL needs a goalie upgrade and I get that Knight will not be available this year...spend AHL money on it....don't give NHL money to a guy that is going to play the entire year down there unless there are injuries. If you think there is going to be injuries that is one thing..but both Gru and Frank have been pretty healthy. Why spend money hoping thinking one of them might fail and the other is injurued?
There's a goalie type for this need. It's the third stringer. The Peter Budaj, the Calvin Pickard, probably another goaltender the Avs penciled in as #1...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yah, get a vet to take that #3 spot. Picks, Boods, there are a lot of options.

Avs don't really have a goalie prospect in Europe ready to make the jump. Closest would be Adam Werner and I'm guessing he stays at least one more year in Sweden.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Yah, get a vet to take that #3 spot. Picks, Boods, there are a lot of options.

Avs don't really have a goalie prospect in Europe ready to make the jump. Closest would be Adam Werner and I'm guessing he stays at least one more year in Sweden.
Nope someone just posted in Werner's thread that he just read an article saying he was coming to Colorado next year. I assume its Loveland and not Denver but we will see

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
FL might be an option for a BU with Reimer.

They need to clear salaries for Bob/Varly and might be willing to include a prospect for our troubles.

AVs - 3rd

for

Reimer
Ang

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Nope someone just posted in Werner's thread that he just read an article saying he was coming to Colorado next year. I assume its Loveland and not Denver but we will see
Werner never said he is coming he said Avs want him to come but he will not decide until after his season is over.

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
The Avs should start Francouz against Arizona. Grubauer needs rest for the road trip, and Francouz needs to prove as a viable backup.

Reactions: EXTRAS

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
The Avs should start Francouz against Arizona. Grubauer needs rest for the road trip, and Francouz needs to prove as a viable backup.

He probably gets another game against one of Florida/Tampa next weekend as well, in the back-to-back.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You can see why the team love him already. He's got that ho hum innocence about him, a lot like Picks.

Reminds me a bit of Varly with his quick reflex style and ability to track pucks on scrambly plays around the net.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Bump. Francouz is looking really good.

So good he's playing his way out of Colorado. If he maintains any consistency what-so-ever over the remainder of the season I'd be floored if a team didn't offer him a starting role.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I think we're all in with Grubauer. Frank will cost about as much and he'll be 30 next season.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
He should become the starter pretty soon. However, it wouldn't surprise me if that doesn't happen as the Avs handling of goaltenders is somewhat questionable, they were willing to piss away their entire season last year just so that they could please Grubauer and Varlamov.

I would understand wanting to play Grubayer if he was Patrick Roy or someone with an impressive resume of being a starting goaltender. However, this is Grubauer's 1st season as a starter and he is being outplayed by his backup. There should be no favorites, let the best goaltender play.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Francouz is 2nd in the league in SV% and GAA in the league (all goalies with 15+ GP).

incredible. Grubauer is no slouch either.

Reactions: klozge

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Just play Cole, Barberio and Lindholm more when Francouz starts. His numbers will go down and we will be able to sign him as backup for few more years. Problem solved.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just worth keeping in mind that Gru's inconsistencies have showed up more this season -- his first as a full-time starter -- than in seasons past. Before having to be the guy game-in & game-out, everyone here was sure we had solved our starting goalie for the rest of our window.

Love seeing the frenchman thriving, but let's not go over-board with the hype when we have no clue how he'd do as the day-to-day starter. The backup QB is the most popular guy on the team for a reason, ya know?

Reactions: hooverdam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad