Prospect Info: Pavel Francouz

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh yeah, and in addition to Werner, bring in Cale Morris. Would Grubauer-Francouz-Morris-Werner be a combo you'd trust for the NHL and AHL spots?

Nah Dawg...

I don't think Morris in all that high of demand. It wouldn't shock me to see him go back for an additional season to try up his value.

If the Avs are going to run a Grubs/Frank combo, I think they will go after a vet #3 as a backup plan. Probably won't be somebody good, but a fringe backup that is okay with heading to Loveland for most of the season.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Grubauer/Francouz is kind of a risky NHL tandem, given Francouz has only 2 appearances--in relief--in the NHL.

And then add to that an all-rookie (in the AHL) tandem of Werner/Morris? I don't see the notoriously risk-averse Avalanche doing that. It would be nice to add a free talent like Morris to the pipeline (and then still use our 1st on Spencer Knight later this summer), but I don't think that's going to happen.

That said--I'm all for rolling with Francouz as the backup next year. I like Varly, but I'd rather take the chance with Grubauer/Francouz next year.
Yeah, that's just it. I think a third stringer would do the trick, but then I think either Werner has to stay in Sweden or we aren't in on Morris. The latter being the more likely of course.

Now, with Francouz, him starting as the AHL starter does shit all, so if you plan on keeping him he has to be the backup. Otherwise what are you doing, and moreover, what is he doing?

Who's a third stringer you guys would like, and why is it definitely not Pickard?

Reactions: MacBradley

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Nah Dawg...

I don't think Morris in all that high of demand. It wouldn't shock me to see him go back for an additional season to try up his value.

If the Avs are going to run a Grubs/Frank combo, I think they will go after a vet #3 as a backup plan. Probably won't be somebody good, but a fringe backup that is okay with heading to Loveland for most of the season.
Oh really, has he shit the bed lately? I feel like the goalie market is always late on things, because teams want to play it safe.

Yeah, I think Grubs/Frank is the only way to go if you have Frank in your plans, to be... quite frank.

Who'd you rather, Budaj or Pickard? :naughty:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh really, has he **** the bed lately?

Yeah, I think Grubs/Frank is the only way to go if you have Frank in your plans, to be... quite frank.

Who'd you rather, Budaj or Pickard? :naughty:

I think he's actually played well, and I like him as a prospect. There are questions out there about his frame and athleticism and how that translates to the professional ranks. His compete and battle are his big strengths.

Funny you say that... I could easily see Picks back here manning Loveland and getting some call-ups.

Reactions: MarkT

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Funny you say that... I could easily see Picks back here manning Loveland and getting some call-ups.
To be honest, he seemed like a very well-liked guy even among some of the people still here. Isn't that pretty much the biggest thing with third string goalies?

Reactions: MarkT

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
To be honest, he seemed like a very well-liked guy even among some of the people still here. Isn't that pretty much the biggest thing with third string goalies?

I'd say that is among the biggest things, yeah. That coupled with being able to put in a 3rd stringer (if you have to) and not immediately having the feeling of "Well, we're just going to have to chalk this one up as a loss..." before the puck even drops.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'd say that is among the biggest things, yeah. That coupled with being able to put in a 3rd stringer (if you have to) and not immediately having the feeling of "Well, we're just going to have to chalk this one up as a loss..." before the puck even drops.
Yeah, I remember there being times that Pickard wasn't an auto-loss. They weren't recently, but I think we had that...

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Picks as the #3 here makes a ton of sense. I have to think it is really likely if we go with Gru/Frank

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm curious, how would signing Picks work? Doesn't he still have to clear waivers in order to be sent down? When can you sign a guy for a minor-league contract without having to waive him?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm curious, how would signing Picks work? Doesn't he still have to clear waivers in order to be sent down? When can you sign a guy for a minor-league contract without having to waive him?

He'd have to sign a NHL contract and would be exposed to waivers. I wouldn't say the odds are all that high he'd get claimed after this season.

Reactions: Pokecheque

armedequation

Mar 1, 2019
Id still like morris and knight. Both maybe in loveland but still would be nice from my point of view.

armedequation

Mar 1, 2019
Im confused so hed be in utah?
Cgf says not on eagles
Abusement you say not on avs
Confused....

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I usually am. Thanks i had not heard that.
Have you heard of Eliteprospect? Best site for hockey stats (even though they are more on the slow side in updating stats) in regards to the aesthetic appeal (HockeyDB is like starring in the dark-ages).

They are normally 99.9% good when it comes to updating college commitments, de-committing, and recommitting to another school or going to another league. Here's Knights profile: Spencer Knight at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: armedequation

armedequation

Mar 1, 2019
Thanks! I havent looked at that site since March. Guess i shouldve looked before saying something.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
I just can't see the Avs going into next year (even if they could sign Morris) with a total of 30 minutes of NHL experience between their #2,#3 and #4 goalies. An experienced goalie has to be in there somewhere. If Frank is the backup for the Avs next year there will be someone with experience on the Eagles just in case.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Francouz did look really good in his brief NHL appearances, and his AHL and KHL numbers certainly indicate that he has what it takes to make it as a backup (or perhaps more) in the NHL. I wouldn't be worried going into next year with him as the #2, I think he can hack it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->